is there such thing as emotion/heart sorcery?

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:04 am
I'm making a story that involves a side-character who is a magician, and I want him to have a special type of magic. He has a way of finding people's inner power (their courage, kindness, loyalty, determination), and convert it into tangible magic. I was wondering if there is some sort of magic that involves/is related to getting power from others. If not, do you thin you can come up with a name for this type of magic? I'd be very grateful.

(Please, no My Little Pony jokes. I've watched the show, I get the similarities in the matter.)

View best answer, chosen by frostfire
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:12 am
@frostfire,
Because magical systems are all made up (magic doesn't exist), they can be named anything and can have any properties you like, even properties different from other systems. Or similar. It does not matter.

As for naming this system, that is your job as a writer. Seriously. I have seen way too many writers crowdsourcing their namings, and it can really stifle your creativity. Rearrange letters in Scrabble. Look up interesting words and find dual meanings. Play on some other words or phrases. But please, name your own stuff and your own characters. You will be a far better writer if you don't depend on others to do this for you.
frostfire

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:34 pm
@jespah,
Hm, I never thought of it that way....I suppose you are correct when it comes magic, anything is possible. I was just wondering if there was some sort of preestablished magic philosophy that I could use in comparison. However you are right; magic is pretty much a free-for-all area, so I COULD just do/name it whatever I want...

Thank you for your input!
jespah

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 04:46 pm
@frostfire,
Best of luck to you. Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?
frostfire

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 06:37 pm
@jespah,
What is NaNoWriMo?
jespah

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:06 pm
@frostfire,
November is National Novel-Writing Month
http://nanowrimo.org/dashboard

Write 50,000 words, in November, and you are considered a NaNo 'winner'. They are very supportive and winners get codes for Scrivener and the like.

I'm a 2013 and 2014 winner, and am planning to write again this year. My 2013 novel is published.
frostfire

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 10:32 pm
@jespah,
Really? That's so cool, Congrats! But, heh, oh no, I'm not entering. I do all of my stories in drawn comics anyway...just silly comedy with Furries, nothing competition-worthy. This particular story just had a hole in it that I needed to fill.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 10:38 pm
@frostfire,
Maybe symbiotic magic? Not the same as sympathetic magic.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 05:48 am
@frostfire,
Thank you; it's a lot of nerve-wracking fun (and I know how weird that sounds). Since you're an artist, is your work on Deviant Art?
frostfire

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 02:40 pm
@jespah,
When I was 14, it used to be. I mostly did fanfiction and original art. Although, I stay away from Deviant Art now. My accounts have been banned due to "inappropriate fan fiction" (which is a complex matter I will not get into). Not to mention fandom people can be very passionate and agressive and there was the occasional shut down altogether due to lack of confidence.( you know, the inward struggle artists and writers have.) As you know, the internet is not a kind place, and it kind of shattered my artistic ego when I was younger.

So I've stayed away from Deviant Art for about 5 years now. It puts a bad taste in my mouth. I keep my art offline now, unless I'm showing it to an individual or small community.
jespah

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 03:18 pm
@frostfire,
I hear ya. It's a push-pull impulse to want to share and find out if our work is okay but also being scared that it's not.
frostfire

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 03:45 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, heh, exactly. Its just easier to stay out of it altogether.
0 Replies