Trubling aspects of relativity

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 12:27 pm
I swear, I read it somewhere, that the twin paradox still somehow requires the existence of a stationary ref. Where is everybody who knows this kind of stuff

I sorta 'member two kinds of refs: One is purely theoretical, based on a kind of average of the speed and direction of every particle in the Universe. The other somehow real

I know you can read about this kinda stuff but I'm looking for explanations in plain English, familiar words arranged in the usual order, for the benefit of your Average Clod (me)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 745 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bostonian phil

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 10:12 pm
@dalehileman,
There's no such thing as a stationary reference frame in the sense that there's no such thing as an absolute frame of reference. All that one can say about such a thing is that there exists inertial frames where such a frame is defined by an imaginary system of clocks and rods. E.g. A Cartesian coordinate system and a set of imaginary clocks spread out through the frame and synchronized with the clock at the origin of the coordinate system. A free particle in such a frame will move at constant velocity. All frames of reference moving uniformly relative to that one is also an inertial frame of reference. There is no absolute frame of reference
dalehileman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
@Bostonian phil,
Quote:
...a set of imaginary clocks spread out through the frame...
Thanks, Phil, yea, Indeed, what I've referred to as an "average"

Quote:
There is no absolute frame of reference
Still some of our respondents have asserted that the twin paradox might suggest some sort of ref, whether absolute or average

Even Al seemed to be just a little puzzled

I'm sure it's been explained in one resounding posting or another but we need one by common words arranged in usual order, for your Typical Blockhead (me)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 11:11 pm
@dalehileman,
I, too, am trubld by relatives.
Mostly, they ask for money.
Then they go in a snit when I tell them I'm broke.

I bear a burdensome beer budget.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:21 am
@neologist,
Quote:
I bear a burdensome beer budget.
Me too Neo. Only 1.14 bottles/day but mostly exotic imports. However the cost is mitigated by visitors who bring also the kinds we like

You might ask, "are those 12-oz"
...to which I reply yes, mostly. However many of the brews they bring in the 17- or 22-oz size; and, well, you can't drink just part of it, can you
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 11:59 am
@Bostonian phil,
Phil, to carry on, last night perusing "Time and the Space Traveler" by L Marder (1970) I got the distinct impression that the matter isn't quite settled
0 Replies