Religion and dating

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 09:56 am
How important is religion when dating? Would you marry someone outside your religion? If so what would your kids practice?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:12 am
@Itsme2000,
Doesn't this depend heavily on the individuals involved? Religion isn't very important to me at all. I teach my daughter to be skeptical of all religions.

It wouldn't matter to me if someone was religious, as long as it was OK for me to be irreligious. I want my kids to be critical of all religions, but to still be able to take anything meaningful they find in each of them.
Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Doesn't this depend heavily on the individuals involved? Religion isn't very important to me at all. I teach my daughter to be skeptical of all religions.

"Skeptical"? What about "wary"? At an early age I was already skeptical. In my opinion, only with life experience did I realize wariness is what people should have, since some faiths seem to be picking up from the Romans' desire to maintain "control" at all costs, under the guise of the big payoff -Salvation.

The problem with interfaith marriage is that one's feelings about religious affiliation could change after children are born. What didn't matter when one was not a parent could then seem like one's child is joining a radical cult, at worst. At best, one's child could just mirror one's own thinking, but that might be too optimistic.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 12:44 pm
@Itsme2000,
Hi Itsme,
As mentioned before, the answer depends very much on how important religion is to you and your intended spouse. Easiest would be if neither of you would give it much mind and would let your kids decide for themselves.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 01:40 pm
I'm a theist, my partner is an atheist. We both take our positions seriously. We have the most delightful conversations about those differences and it has brought us closer.

So start out by talking about your differences and see what happens. If it turns out to be a fight, bail on that match-up.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:46 am
@Itsme2000,
No dating in most orthodox versions of various faiths. You're either engaged to be married, or married. Then you date. Smile

Judaism says you're not allowed to marry non-Jews, or rather it says not to marry any from among the 7 groups in Israel prior to the Jews' arrival during the Exodus (this latter became the more general prohibition, but that broader interpretation isn't actually Scriptural.) So if more interested in what God thinks vs local rabbis...Smile

Hear the same about Catholics. Dunno about Muslims.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:48 am
@maxdancona,
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Fixes religion nicely. Smile
kellirosej

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
@Itsme2000,
For many, religion and/or worldview informs their beliefs about many other things in life, including how to raise children, what sorts of activities may be morally permissible, whether they would be open to a divorce, etc. If you date and/or marry someone who practices a different religion (or none at all), your foundational morality and ethics may be incompatible. This could mean disagreements about many things, varying in seriousness from what to go see at the movies to how to discipline your child. If you choose to co-habitate with someone with a different worldview, it's important to at least discuss what sorts of things matter the most to you in life (i.e. your purpose, your values) and whether the other person would be willing to respect those.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 05:59 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I'm yet to be convinced that one who quotes Sagan could be satisfied by any amount of evidence.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:12 pm
Religion is only one of many things that can go wrong in a relationship. Being the same religion doesn't guarantee compatibility; being different religions doesn't guarantee problems. But it most certainly can lead to problems, AND those problems can grow in significance later in a relationship. Sometimes for instance a not-very-religious Jewish woman suddenly has a change of heart when her child is born and wants the entire household to be run in a Kosher Orthodox fashion. That's likely to cause some friction, to say the least.
0 Replies

mahendar

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 12:39 am
@Itsme2000,
If you are in serious relationship means never bother about the religions you are loving that person only not religion.even though you can marry her religion wasn't a problem...
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 01:08 pm
@mahendar,
Quote:
@Itsme2000,
If you are in serious relationship means never bother about the religions you are loving that person only not religion.even though you can marry her religion wasn't a problem...

Assuming you are tying a person's religion to a belief in God, do you think God would respect anyone who placed more importance on a relationship than in him?
0 Replies