Hillary snubbed for Boston convention, fundraiser flips

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:53 pm
Someone give this woman a chill pill please (Judith Hope, I mean) - such hysteria.

Why she get to have a story built around her anyway - she's no official of anything, right?

Quote:
Ire over Hillary Clinton's small role in Boston
'Very stupid,' says N.Y. party luminary
The Boston lineup

On Tuesday, Kerry aides announced the prime-time speaking lineup for the four-day convention in Boston that begins July 26, a list that included former Presidents Carter and Clinton, former Vice President Al Gore and Christie Vilsack, wife of Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack. The list did not include the former first lady and New York's junior senator.

Asked about Clinton's role Tuesday, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, the convention chairman, said, "Senator Clinton will speak also. She's a major star in the party."

But later, convention officials said Clinton would appear at the convention's opening night as part of a special segment featuring all the women senators, but she was not expected to speak.

"To include the wife of the governor of Iowa, who I'm sure is a wonderful woman, and to not include Hillary Clinton is just such a glaring injustice," Hope said.

"It is, frankly, very stupid," she added.

In May, Kerry campaign officials had said both President Clinton and his wife would play prominent roles at the convention.

"It's a total outrage," Hope said. "Women all over New York state and all over America are being asked to carry a very heavy responsibility for winning this election for the Democrats."

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines had little to say Wednesday, simply commenting that Clinton is looking forward to attending the convention and working hard for the Democratic ticket of Kerry and John Edwards.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,424 • Replies: 43
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 01:26 am
She's a grown woman, she'll get over it. Besides, when she runs in 2008, she doesn't have to invite Kerry and Edwards. Wink
0 Replies

VirginiaBeachTOM

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:06 am
as a longtime democrat and campaign worker i am sick of hillary clinton and her constant need to be the center of attention.......its never enough.....the convention belongs to the nominess and whoever they want to speak.....hillary is as corrupt and self serving as those her highness thinks herself better than....her mindless groupies and apologists have gone to the grave(literally) in defense of her and her machevellian power plays...the media loves her cause she is an easy story and they can do her in their sleep......she runs her fat mouth often enough and her claptrap shows her ignorance more often than it does any expertise.......she is the purple koolaid of the democratic party and if nominated in the future i myself will walk 10 miles in the snow to vote against her..priscilla presley had the guts to leave elvis and graceland-but hillary wouldnt leave the white house if bill was having sex with chelsea on the south lawn....cause to her its all about power and privlige and as long as she is on the throne she really doesnt care about much else...........so its sad that the reality is that priscilla presley is actually more of a real liberated woman than this self promoting icon of new york democrats.....we can win in november if we just sit on her coffin lid -even if we have to do it in shifts..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:13 am
Whoa! Them be some fighting words, virginiabeach.

So speaking as a longtime democrat campaign worker, who are the democrats you feel most comfortable with?

And whats your opinion of kerry, resp. edwards?
0 Replies

VirginiaBeachTOM

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:26 am
i liked former senator bob kerry alot......i honestly dont like either of kerry and edwards(lurch and the breck girl) but we very much need a change.......anything is better than boy george and dr.no.......i love the democratic party but we have had some real clunkers and its cause the ones who are alot better get killed in the cattle drive to the white house and congress...........we need alot of new blood at the top and hopefully kerry-edwards can take mcauliffe(aka clinton lap dog) out of the leadership of the party..........the DLC needs to be hosed out as well.......we better get our act together cause i am sure barabara bush is taking fertility drugs in hopes of producing more offspring that are genetically engineered to start running for president as soon as they get their tickets punched with various stints in various places..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:36 am
LOL! Right on.

Welcome to A2K, btw ;-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:04 am
From a more recent article by Jill Lawrence USA Today

Quote:
Clinton, a former first lady often presumed to have presidential ambitions, is one of the most popular figures in her party. But two Democratic officials said she and her colleagues decided among themselves to appear together and chose Mikulski to speak. Clinton "didn't ask to speak, and she very graciously asked to be part of a tribute to the women of the United States Senate," said one of the officials, who won't speak on the record about political strategy.

Clinton said she expects the convention to be exciting and said she is not disappointed about her planned role. "I've had many opportunities in the past," she told WNBF radio in Binghamton, N.Y.

<The man who is giving the keynote speech> Obama, 42, is the son of a black Kenyan father and a white Kansan mother. He grew up in Hawaii. A former civil rights attorney, he has championed working families, the elderly and the uninsured in the Illinois Senate. He has a wide lead in the unsettled Illinois Senate race. Republican Jack Ryan dropped out after unsealed divorce papers alleged he pressured his wife to visit sex clubs and have sex there. The state Republican Party had been courting former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka, but he said Wednesday that he would not run.

In a conference call with Cahill and reporters, Obama called it "an enormous honor and an enormous responsibility" to be called on to help set the tone for the convention. Some keynoters, such as Democrats Mario Cuomo and Ann Richards, have made memorable speeches.

...News of Clinton's role drew protests in New York. "She's our rock star ... and they should take full advantage," Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings said. Judith Hope, the former head of the New York State Democratic Party, called the decision "a slap in the face ... for every woman in the Democratic Party and every woman in America."

Clinton is a polarizing figure, adored by some and despised by others. She raises boatloads of money for Democrats and tends to upstage others at party gatherings.

I think this is a non-issue... a little bit of hysteria. It would be cool for Hillary to give the keynote speech, she is an awesome and intelligent speaker IMO, but she gives speeches all the time and will not be forgotten by the Dems.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:13 am
VirginiaBeachTOM wrote:
as a longtime democrat and campaign worker i am sick of hillary clinton and her constant need to be the center of attention.......its never enough.....the convention belongs to the nominess and whoever they want to speak.....hillary is as corrupt and self serving as those her highness thinks herself better than....her mindless groupies and apologists have gone to the grave(literally) in defense of her and her machevellian power plays...the media loves her cause she is an easy story and they can do her in their sleep......she runs her fat mouth often enough and her claptrap shows her ignorance more often than it does any expertise.......she is the purple koolaid of the democratic party and if nominated in the future i myself will walk 10 miles in the snow to vote against her..priscilla presley had the guts to leave elvis and graceland-but hillary wouldnt leave the white house if bill was having sex with chelsea on the south lawn....cause to her its all about power and privlige and as long as she is on the throne she really doesnt care about much else...........so its sad that the reality is that priscilla presley is actually more of a real liberated woman than this self promoting icon of new york democrats.....we can win in november if we just sit on her coffin lid -even if we have to do it in shifts..

That deserves to be mentioned twice.... It brought a tear of joy to my eye... *sniff*

Welcome!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:15 am
The more I see of Teresa Heinz, the more appealing Hillary Clinton looks to me. At least she doesn't have her mouth running all the time, the way that Heinz-Kerry does!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:45 am
Bad-mouthing democratic women... don't you two have anything better to do?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
Apparently, Obama was Kerry's choice to speak at the DNC. I personally think it was a mistake, but we'll have to wait and see.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:04 am
It is a little strange not to have hillary speak at the convention. It's not like she would either add something or take anything away to the wives of the john kerry and john edwards or the candidates themselves.

I don't agree with some of Hillary's or clinton's views but I personally thought and still think that she had something with her health care plan for everybody and that it was a shame that it was shot down so firmly. She has a lot of good ideas for democrats and I think it is a mistake to not have her personally speak.

I think the whole conventions and the rest of the pre elections things are a waste of time and money. Most everybody has had their minds made up quite a long time ago. I am voting for kerry and edwards no matter what and imagine that lot of people feel the same for whoever they are voting for.

What I found more of a story was Bush not going to the NCAA (is that the right abbreviation?) and the reason he gave for not going. Why is not more made of it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
revel wrote:
It is a little strange not to have hillary speak at the convention. It's not like she would either add something or take anything away to the wives of the john kerry and john edwards or the candidates themselves.

Hillary IS speaking at the convention. Her speech isn't scheduled for one of the prime slots though.

Quote:
What I found more of a story was Bush not going to the NCAA (is that the right abbreviation?) and the reason he gave for not going. Why is not more made of it?

NAACP but.. The fact that he didn't go is no surprise to anyone. The National NAACP leadership hates him. Why would anyone go to a convetion where they know they'll take a knife in the back? It's not like they were going to actually listen to anything he'd have to say. The NAACP National Leadership is taking some heat from within for their own actions on the matter.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
fishin

I read on a yahoo news article that most conservative blacks were disapointed that he didn't take that opportunity to push his ideals.

I think it makes him look like a coward. But then I don't like him anyway.

Sorry for changing the subject. I guess I just don't see the big deal really. I doubt I even watch it in the first place or the republican one either.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:17 am
http://www.newsmax.com/images/headlines/KerryHill-1.jpg

uuuuugggghhhhh!!! Major ick.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:48 am
John Kerry; the Monica Lewinsky of Hillary Clinton?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:43 pm
Looks like Kerry isn't crazy about equal opportunities for women.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
I'll have to add in--

Why should Hillary Clinton be afforded such a posh spot? She's only been recently elected.

Why pass over such long timers, as Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Moseley-Braun, who ran for President? There are plenty of women who have been toiling away in politics-- what does it say to them, to be so backbendingly deferential to Hillary?

Not giving Hillary Clinton a prime time spot is nothing negative about 'women'-- that complaint would be reasonable if other women weren't asked to speak.

VirginiaBeachTOM cracks me up!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:19 pm
Well the only flaw in that argument Sofia is that Theresa Heinz Kerry is given a prominent speaking role. But then she's a potential first lady. Maybe that has more clout than a former first lady/sitting senator.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:39 pm
Did Barbara Bush and so on get a speaking part at the convention before their husbands were first elected? Is it usual for the first Lady-to-be to speak prominently?

(Quick mental comparative check: Blair's and Schroeder's wives are both a little controversial, tho merely in a gossipish way, and I wouldnt even know what the wives of Balkenende and Bos, Holland's main party leaders, look like. I assume Bos is married ...)
0 Replies