SHouldnt I have the same rights as the schools does regarding the safety of my child?

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 06:49 am
With mandated reporting laws I get why cps was called on me in regard to the bruise on my 3 yr old's arm (school called) (she fell on my porch swing) So do I need to send in a note or call teacher every time she gets hurt to make her aware of how it happened or is cps gonna be called again to investigate?

It seems that parent teacher communicate is lax here as a result. What really pissed me off was when my daughter came home from school with a big bandaid on her chin where she skinned it up and yet there was NO phone call or note letting me know what happened to her.

HOw should I approach the school about this? Without them thinking Im being any kind of way. I am upset the reported me. My youngest son had the same teacher when he was in the special needs preschool class, my daughter is now in that class but the teacher is new so she doesnt know my family.

This is one heck of a way to start this parent teacher relationship when parent teacher communication could have cleared this up. They KNOW all too well by now how she climbs on EVERYTHING and is in go mode 100%.

Like I said I dont blame them for being mandated reporters but it gives them a reason not to communicate with parents. Obviously the teacher didnt think it was important to communicate how my daughter got hurt.......that upsets me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,164 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:06 am
@jdox0776,
Is there a student handbook? Most schools have these -you should be able to find it online. In the handbook they should state how they are supposed to handle any sort of injury - whether minor or more serious.

I personally think they went overboard reporting you for one bruise. I would have calls daily if this were the case, as my children have lots of bruises - from playing sports. It is normal for a child to get a bruise although several bruises should arise a question. Did they question your child at all? I wonder if she said something (not meaning anything but could have resulted in them raising an alarm) -

On the other thing where your child came home with a bandaid -- the nurse should have called you - even for small things so you are aware. I have received calls from the school before when my daughter fell or was hurt even it is was minor. In part, I think the school tries to cover themself.

But I would read the handbook first cause then you can call the school and say it says here in the handbook that if a child is injured even whatever it is. And then just state the facts, my daughter came home with a bandaid on her chin--could someone get back to me and let me know when happened and in the future, could I please receive notification so I am not worried?

If there is nothing in the handbook or no handbook, then I would suggest calling. Try to handle it without getting too angry or upset and be polite --- more trying to get info. Say along the lines, my daughter had a bandaid --- could you let me know what happened? Then ask what their policy typically is -- you could also ask if she is injured in any way could they give you call before she comes home so you are aware? I worry if you come across too angry or upset, they will think it is strictly because they reported you and you are trying to get back at them.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:30 am
Most likely, someone asked your daughter HOW she got that bruise.

Her answer - or lack of it - prompted a school inquiry.

Is this the first time you have had a CPS inquiry?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:02 am
@jdox0776,
Quote:
HOw should I approach the school about this? Without them thinking Im being any kind of way. I am upset the reported me.

Teacher/Parent communication goes both ways. There are two people involved (you and the teacher). Why not have a respectful conversation on the topic?

I would go and talk to the teacher about how you felt, and that you wish she had talk to to you first. Try to put yourself in the teacher's shoes... she has 25 kids that she has to manage in addition to having this other legally mandated responsibility.

But the teacher should also understand how you felt. The only way she will understand is if you respectfully explain to her how it feels to be investigated. If you give her this feedback, she will be able to use this experience to communicate better with parents in the future.

0 Replies

jdox0776

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
So, the nurse called and apologized, she said she meant to call and send a paper home but it got crazy. Funny thing is her teacher wrote a note telling me that my daughter fell yesterday (Yes, I have already gathered that) and that the nurse called and left the message. The nurse already said she forgot to call so which is it. I guess she assumed she did without talking to her. I can already tell Im going to have a problem with this teacher
jdox0776

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
Her speech isnt where she could have told them if they asked. I have had brushes with cps in the past.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:55 pm
@jdox0776,
My suggestion is to still try to make a positive relationship with the teacher. Try to work with her as much as possible. I have two girls so I have dealt with lots of teachers - most do try to help some are more difficult. We just got through a year with a couple of difficult teachers.

If you do have some sort of issue, try to make a time to meet with her. I found meeting face to face works much better. You still may have issues, but after meeting someone personally, it is easier, you can now see each other as a person rather than teacher/parent.

It is quite likely the nurse forgot and the teacher assumed she had called as this sounds like the procedure to follow. As your child was not seriously hurt, if the nurse all of a sudden had something more serious come across, it is reasonable to see that she forgot. It is nice that she apologized and owned up to her mistake, that should give you some comfort.

And not sure how/why cps was involved prior (no need to let us know) but that could be noted with the teacher and why she called when seeing the bruise - it may not be her fault, but it could be school policy --- covering their a$$es sort of thing. So I would give the teacher the benefit of the doubt.

Did you read the student handbook? It would be a good idea so you can know anything you should about school policy.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 03:34 pm
@jdox0776,
Our schools are a disaster, and one of the ways is that despite the fact that the schools constantly yammer on about education of the kids needs to be a cooperative effort between the schools and the parents the schools do in fact consider the parents guilty of abuse/neglect until proven innocent. The laws support this as the undertone of the laws is " Parents suck and can not be trusted".

There is little you can do other than to teach your kids that talking about the family to anyone in the school is dangerous, and should be minimized. You will need to wait a few years to teach this lesson however. By the time this kid gets to be 7 or so I am confident that you will have seen enough to be ready to do this.

As a parent you are not an equal. You are a risk factor to be monitored and managed. Your kids are going to be taught by the schools that they should be snitches to the state.
0 Replies

jdox0776

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:31 pm
@Linkat,
The handbook sates that it is to be documented in the computer and a form sent home, more serious accidents require a phone call as well. CPS originally was involved all through my childhood when cps could care less about the safety of children. They got involved when I I had my first daughter because of domestic abuse. I finally got away from him. Its funny, I spent half my life in fear of my life and the other half trying to get away from the stigma of stereotypical crap it has caused. I eventually became a stronger person as a result though its a shame it had to happen that way. I had a hard time controlling my kids because I had never learned until much later how to properly discipline them. I refused to spank them because I never wanted them to feel the way I did as a child
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:40 pm
@jdox0776,
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and it really isn't fair to be treated that wsy. I think the best is try to work positively with the teacher and school. Some one mentioned meeting with the teacher and talking it out. Depends how comfortable you feel about it and getting a read on the teacher.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:53 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Some one mentioned meeting with the teacher and talking it out.

Keeping in mind that an defensiveness or talk about parental rights will be read as probable guilt of child abuse.....

EDIT: I have never been accused of child abuse by the schools, but I learned early that they are not to be trusted, and to stay as far as possible away from them.
roger

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 06:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm afraid you are right.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:35 pm
@roger,
We have a thread somewhere of abusive stupid things that schools do to kids, I think one was a suspension for ripping a piece of cheese into the shape of a gun holding it up and making "bang" "bang" noises, can I expect these people to treat me the parent any better? They are fanatics, and their constant efforts to "save" kids, very often from their parents, is a problem. Suspending a kindergartener for "sexual abuse" was another great example.

Also, there is yet another study out showing that kids have way way too much homework, which is not in the best interests of the kids or the families. And yet they have been overloading our kids with take home work for a very long time in spite of parental complaints. "Too much homework? Nonsense. you are just not a dedicated enough parent. Now chop chop!"

These are the people I am going to trust?

No. *******. Way.
roger

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sometimes I think of it as a police mentality. "If you're not with us, you are against us".

I'm indecisive on the homework issue, but at least one of the Scandinavian countries simply doesn't assign homework. I'm skeptical, but they all rate well internationally.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:46 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I'm indecisive on the homework issue,

I made up my mind long ago. I told my kids go ahead a cheat on homework, it is stupid work for stupid people, there is no reason to take it seriously. They also learned to forge my signature on all of that stupid paperwork the the school sends home.

One kid is making over $100,000 a year at Microsoft three years out of school

the next one just graduated U Wash with 2 majors and three minors

the boy is doing great at his university on a ROTC scholarship , is in a Frat and is working 20 hours a week.

0 Replies