Is the expression "yet from front, mediocre" okay?

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:24 am

(Observation of Chinese Girls)

Viewed from the side, I often find a stunning beauty; yet from front, often mediocre.

-------------------------
What I wanted to express is: when face to face, she looks mediocre.
I wonder whether the expression "yet from front, mediocre" is fine in English.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,128 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
GorDie

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:28 am
@oristarA,
"yet from front" - means nothing to me.
It has the grammatical capacity to catch on ... but I'd never use it until I heard a thousands girls say it.
You would confuse a lot of people, but it works. I didn't know hat you were asking, until you provided a second example "when face to face."

In fact the entire sentence, is grammatically flawed in a lot of ways.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:32 am
@oristarA,
Is that meant to be native English prose?
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:37 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Is that meant to be native English prose?

Oops. I was trying to sound native. Embarrassed
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:37 am
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

"yet from front" - means nothing to me.
It has the grammatical capacity to catch on ... but I'd never use it until I heard a thousands girls say it.
You would confuse a lot of people, but it works. I didn't know hat you were asking, until you provided a second example "when face to face."

In fact the entire sentence, is grammatically flawed in a lot of ways.

Thanks.
But how to improve?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 10:10 am
@oristarA,
It sounds like the way Confucian sayings are sometimes translated into English.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 11:36 am
Viewpoints take a definite article ("the") - the front; the side; the rear (or the back).
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 11:40 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Viewpoints take a definite article ("the") - the front; the side; the rear (or the back).

Cool.
Is it all right now?-
Viewed from the side, I often find a stunning beauty; yet from the front, often mediocre.
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
@oristarA,
Yes.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:42 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
I wonder whether the expression "yet from front, mediocre" is fine in English.

Not very.
"Yet, seen from the front..." would be better, and normal.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 03:09 pm
@oristarA,
"Viewed from the side, I often find a stunning beauty; yet from the front, often mediocre."

In the green I italicized a grammatical error.

IN the first half of the statement, you are referring to a Beauty. Yet in the second statement there is no indication of such a thing. You must some how specify what is mediocre.
Although it is obvious, YOU are the beauty in the first statement made in the sentence, It does not say: that You (the allusive NOUN) looked mediocre; Or that you found "A mediocre prize/girl/figure/being/individual"

Beauty was used as a NOUN, Mediocre is not a noun, ever, it is an adjective.
"You are Mediocre" = adjective. "It was mediocre" = adjective. How mediocre was it?" = adjective.

**can you please write your sentence in Chinese for us too please. I would be very grateful if every time You asked a grammatical question, you also wrote what you wanted us to revise in your own tongue.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 08:14 pm
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

"Viewed from the side, I often find a stunning beauty; yet from the front, often mediocre."

In the green I italicized a grammatical error.

IN the first half of the statement, you are referring to a Beauty. Yet in the second statement there is no indication of such a thing. You must some how specify what is mediocre.
Although it is obvious, YOU are the beauty in the first statement made in the sentence, It does not say: that You (the allusive NOUN) looked mediocre; Or that you found "A mediocre prize/girl/figure/being/individual"

Beauty was used as a NOUN, Mediocre is not a noun, ever, it is an adjective.
"You are Mediocre" = adjective. "It was mediocre" = adjective. How mediocre was it?" = adjective.

**can you please write your sentence in Chinese for us too please. I would be very grateful if every time You asked a grammatical question, you also wrote what you wanted us to revise in your own tongue.

How about this?-

Viewed from the side, I often find a stunning beauty; yet from the front, often a mediocre face.

What? You know Chinese? If so, please write your sentence * in Chinese in the first place. If you do, I will offer Chinese version afterwards. Most of A2K members are unfamiliar to Chinese, after all.

*Your sentence:
Quote:
0 Replies