Zither in Movies

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 03:15 pm
Being a big fan of zither music, I've always enjoyed "The Third Man Theme" used in the film "The Third Man." Some time ago, I saw some scenes from another movie that also featured the zither. Whenever it played, the instrument's strings were shown across the screen in front of the ongoing scene. It was actually neat.

The problem is, I'd like to find out the name of that other film. I've searched every way I know, and the only film mentioned is "The Third Man."

Would anyone here know or be able to tell me the name of the other production?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,710 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 07:11 pm
@Brained Out,
It's also part of another Anton Karas movie, 'Farewell to Vienna':

Uh oh, I'm hooked on zither music....now. I don't know if this is from
any movie...but this is from Karas' album.. Viennese BonBons -
"Die Mädis, Die Mädis" by Anton Karas:

Brained Out

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 11:59 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Ragman. That's the movie; I'll put in my request to Netflix to watch it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:29 am
@Brained Out,
You're very welcome. good luck
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 08:28 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

It's also part of another Anton Karas movie, 'Farewell to Vienna':

There is no such movie, as far as I know. That music and the images are from the final scene of The Third Man.

Ragman wrote:
Uh oh, I'm hooked on zither music....now. I don't know if this is from
any movie...but this is from Karas' album.. Viennese BonBons -
"Die Mädis, Die Mädis" by Anton Karas:

The YouTube description is inaccurate. "Die Mädis vom Chantant" is a number from Emmerich Kalman's operetta Die Czárdásfürstin. I don't know if that's part of the Anton Karas LP, which appears to be a selection from Viennese operettas.

(skip ahead to 7:40)
Brained Out

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
Actually I thought we had it, but I can't find a record of a movie called "Farewell to Vienna." Thank you both for your efforts.
McTag

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:33 pm
Okay you musos.
I'd like to get into more kletzmer music. Has anyone any suggestions? Stuff I've seen on YouTube seems more showbiz than authentic.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 03:03 pm
@Brained Out,
Brained Out wrote:

Actually I thought we had it, but I can't find a record of a movie called "Farewell to Vienna." Thank you both for your efforts.

What you described in your initial post - a close-up of the zither strings as they are being played - fits the opening credits of The Third Man. I know of no other film that uses the zither as the only instrument on the soundtrack, and any attempt to do so in the aftermath of The Third Man would have been derided as crassly imitative.
0 Replies