Where does the authority to make everyone abide by laws come from?

BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 05:23 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Declaration_of_Independence

Quote:
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 10:00 pm
@roger,
U S citizens who voted for the people who made the laws.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:54 am
@BillRM,
So I could write a new declaration of independence and tell the US government what to go do with itself? Or would that not work? And if not, why's their's work doing the same thing mine is supposed to do? We told the King we were "lawful" subjects of to sod off. We literally rebelled unlawfully, ran off, and invented out of thin air a new government and country. But form the pov of the King we did so unlawfully. Just as from my pov the US government isn't anything I should be compelled to obey being even more unjust than a King. So if our founders could do it, why can't I?

Not that I'm proposing doing so mind you, just like these sorts of rhetorical discussions.Smile
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:28 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
Just as from my pov the US government isn't anything I should be compelled to obey being even more unjust than a King. So if our founders could do it, why can't I?

Enough people got together and was willing and able to used the needed force to imposed the government they care for in the case of the US colonies.

In the end, all governments and all societies rest on the used of force.

So if you can bring enough force to bear you do not need to obey the US federal government but otherwise you are either going to end up behind bars or dead.

Case in point would be the Confederate States of American who after a four years contest was found not to be able to bring to bear enough force to become an independent nation.
0 Replies