The Most Boring Movies You've Ever Seen

panzade

Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:23 am
Interesting background on the fake orgasm scene in Harry/Sally.

Although it’s become the most recognizable moment from Nora Ephron’s 1989 classic (so much so that Katz’s Deli has a permanent sign hanging above the table where it was filmed), it’s a jarring scene in the context of the film.

Sally, up to this point in the movie, has been demure and reserved—recall that in the opening scene, she blushes and hesitates when Harry asks her whom she’s had great sex with. Now, all of a sudden, she’s making a spectacle of herself in front of a bunch of strangers. The orgasm scene is a compelling gag, but it doesn’t seem to jibe with the rest of what we know about Sally.

Quote:

A new anthology of works by Nora Ephron hints at why that’s the case.

The Most of Nora Ephron contains both the screenplay for When Harry Met Sally and an afterword Ephron wrote in February 1990. The afterword begins, “This screenplay has my name on it, but it was very much a collaboration,” and she goes on to credit her colleagues—especially director Rob Reiner and his producing partner, Andrew Scheinman—for many of the best moments of the film. (Ephron, like many women, may have had a touch of impostor syndrome.) She explains that, for the most part, Sally is based on her, while Harry is based on Reiner: “Rob and I each had a character we owned.”

As for that Katz’s Deli scene, she explains that after Reiner and Scheinman spilled some “appalling” secrets about how they approached sex and dating, she offered them a few secrets as well. Like, for instance, the fact that women sometimes fake orgasms. Ephron continues,

A few days later, Rob called. He and Andy had written a sequence about faking orgasms and they wanted to insert it at the end of the scene that was known (up to that time) as the andirons scene.
He read it over the phone. I loved it. It went into the script. A few weeks later, we had our first actors' reading, and Meg Ryan, who by then was our Sally, suggested that Sally actually fake an orgasm in the delicatessen at the end of the scene.
We loved it. It went into the script. And then Billy Crystal, our Harry, provided the funniest of the dozens of funny lines he brought with him to the movie; he suggested that a woman customer turn to a waiter, when Sally's orgasm was over, and say, "I'll have what she's having."
The line, by the way, was delivered in the movie by Estelle Reiner, Rob's mother. So there you have it—a perfect example of how The Process works on the occasions when it works.

If Sally was mostly Ephron’s alter ego, but the orgasm scene was Ryan’s idea, then that might account for the lack of character continuity between the orgasm scene and the rest of the movie. Of course, to the members of Improv Everywhere and other fans, that disconnect doesn’t really matter: No matter whose idea the scene was, they want what Sally’s having.
Krrypton

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:59 am
@kickycan,
I'd say The Blue Lagoon. Its just so predictable from the start. You know how it ends and cannot wait for the strange storyline to end.
ossobuco

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 04:13 pm
@panzade,
? "(Ephron, like many women, may have had a touch of impostor syndrome.)"

strange insertion
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:28 pm
I remember going to see the French faux-documentary/drama called The Class (2008).

Reminded me why I hated high school. So insanely boring. I wanted to leave but I was with Eurodiva/TheDivaDen and a friend at the time. I wanted to go to sleep but as the fates had it, I couldn't. One of the few times I have ever been to the movies where I felt compelled to check the time every couple of minutes after the first 15 or so minutes into the film.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:34 pm
Horse Whisperer hands down
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:21 pm
@Krrypton,
The basic story of Blue Lagoon is very old. It came from a novel called Paul et Virgie written in the early, early part of the Victorian era. Wordsworth loved it as did every major European literary figure of the time. It was also the basis of the movie Friends with its theme penned by Elton John.
Wilso

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:10 am
Just took my daughter to see Muppets Most Wanted. 16 hours of my life that I'm never going to get back.
raprap

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:01 am
There was this potboiler of a 87 Sylvester Stallone about an arm wrestling truck driver trying to regain his estranged and spoiled 13 year old son that was just on the showplex channel.

I napped, worked a crossword & the suduko as the movie drifted on as background noise.

Boy am I glad I didn't watch it!! Sounds pretty boring.

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 08:17 am
I possibly mentioned Oceans 11 and the other films it spawned. If not, I am, now.
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:55 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
the movie Friends with its theme penned by Elton John.

Charming little movie but one of the finest orchestrations of any movie.
I'll be damned if I can find the guy's name.

Oh, here it is.
Paul Buckmaster. A brilliant orchestrator.
Here's a short song "Seasons Reprise" that shows their collaboration.

Sorry about the hijack. Pom always does this to me.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:08 pm
Friends, lousy story, great music and, best of all, a very young Anicée Alvina.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:17 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Just took my daughter to see Muppets Most Wanted. 16 hours of my life that I'm never going to get back.

Ummm?! 16 hours?! Did you see the director's cut? According to IMDb, the movie is 107 minutes long.
Wilso

Wed 30 Apr, 2014 07:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Ummm?! 16 hours?! Did you see the director's cut? According to IMDb, the movie is 107 minutes long.

Felt like 16 hours! (Can't believe I have to explain this).

It's a bit like going to Canberra (Australia's capital). I spent a week there one afternoon.
raprap

Sat 3 May, 2014 07:57 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
It's a bit like going to Canberra (Australia's capital). I spent a week there one afternoon.

You don't have to explain that to me. I've been to Indiana.

Rap
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 3 May, 2014 08:26 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
... I spent a week there one afternoon.

A great Harry Chapin line.
Wilso

Mon 5 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Wilso wrote:
... I spent a week there one afternoon.

A great Harry Chapin line.

A Better Place To Be
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 5 May, 2014 07:57 pm
Just watched the first episode of 'Bear Grylls: The Island' on TV and what a crock it was!
13 ****-for-brains men are put ashore and we're supposed to be "entertained" by their fumbling efforts to survive.
It might have been a bit more interesting if a few women were among them, but an all-male show is just plain boring!
And Grylls isn't even there on the island with them, he just sort of commentates from the comfortable background, maybe he's gone soft i dunno.
0 Replies

phoebe4

Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:07 am
The Blue Lagoon
roger

Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:25 am
@phoebe4,
I think I saw previews or trailers on that one. You could be right.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:59 pm
@phoebe4,
Another movie spawned by the Paul et Virginie novel. Can't figure out why people loved it so.