"speak" used as a noun? I failed to find it in Oxford dict

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 01:38 pm
Context:

Normally mice that repeatedly listen to a sound previously associated with a mild foot shock will learn that on its own the tone is harmless, and they will stop being afraid. Using optogenetic stimulation technology, or controlling specific neurons and animal behavior using light, the authors found that disrupting the amygdala–prefrontal cortex connection prevents mice from overcoming the negative association with the benign tone. In neurobiology speak, memory “extinction” fails to occur. They also found that the opposite is true—that stimulating the circuit results in increased extinction of fearful memories.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-brain-purges-bad-memories/

Also, should "of" be removed?

Context:

Until now investigators were unsure whether the amygdala–prefrontal cortex communication pathway could on its own control fear extinction; both structures interact with many other brain regions, and so isolating their effects of on behavior was a challenge. Optogenetics made the discovery possible, allowing the NIH group to precisely assess only the connection between the two brain regions in real time, providing a more accurate correlation between neuronal activity and behavior.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 444 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 01:45 pm
@oristarA,
This is an informal usage I think. It means "in neurobiology jargon". I occasionally say something like... "that's computer speak for data transfer".

I am pretty sure the extra word "of" is a typo. I can't make sense of it any other way.
0 Replies