BillRM

Fri 19 Feb, 2016 10:21 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
XP have been around long enough that most of it short coming are known and had been patch a situstion that is not true of Window 10.

And my up to date patch XP systems is not easy to hack as first my browsing is done in a sandbox with an up to date chrome browser and with the browser running under reduce rights so it is likely to be harder to hack then a Window 10 system.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 03:39 am
Got my "invitation" yesterday.

At first, the download stopped a couple of times.
Followed various advice given online (seemed to be quite common).

Then, the installation stopped - same code given as reason as previously when downloading failed.
Now, trying again ...
Walter Hinteler

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 01:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Got it. Like it very much!

I'd noticed yesterday on one the tech-sites, I'd looked at, an entry where someone praised a certain tool. Thought, it was spam
It wasn't - I could download and install windows 10 afterwards within seconds (9,600 seconds actually Wink )

Changed it ("tweaked") it a bit, conservative as I am = got my old windows 7 start button (with all the known features), hours and seconds, no arrows on the desktop pics.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 16 Mar, 2016 12:06 pm

As I recall, Microsoft operating systems starting with Windows 8 will only run if the CPU has a No Execute Bit on it.

Since all (or very nearly all) such CPUs are capable of 64-bit operation, why in the world are there 32-bit versions of Windows 8 and 10?
parados

Wed 16 Mar, 2016 01:49 pm
@oralloy,

Some low end processors can't run 64bit instruction sets even though the processor may be 64 bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#Intel_64_software_support
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 16 Mar, 2016 04:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
and thank to a point of sale system reg hack you can still get updates from Microsoft for the OS for the next few years.

If I'd known that was going to happen, I'd have considered sticking with XP for awhile longer. I had no complaints about it, and only jumped because they were ending support.

On the other hand, I was glad to finally move to a 64-bit operating system. My XP licenses are only for 32-bit versions. And 64-bit XP also had some iffy drivers.
0 Replies

ulinka

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
i am new to windows 10 but was surprised how fast this working only one problem need much more powerful pc to work it properly
Ragman

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 04:04 pm
@ulinka,
Not really. Unless what you're comparing is to machine that was below avg performer more than 6 yrs ago.

I' m just now upgrading to Win 10 (from Win 7, 64-bit Pro OS) on an avg performing (as of 6 yrs ago) Lenovo ThinkCentre (dual-core) built exactly 6 yrs ago.

I'll let you know but it's supposed to be much quicker than my Win 7 OS was on this machine. I'm neither a gamer nor do I watch movies on my computer.
0 Replies

ulinka

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 03:55 am
@BillRM,
Can I update my windows 8 to windows 10?
BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:27 am
@ulinka,
I am surprised that Microsoft had not 'force you' to upgrade by now assuming that you had windows 8.1 not 8.

If you have 8 I think you first have to update to 8.1.

In fact it so bad that one gentleman had created a program by the name of never10 to stop the semi force updating to window 10.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Ragman

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:00 am
@ulinka,
Do you have an authorized working (activated) Win 8? Do you have a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Win 8 OS?

If not, then you may need to do a 'clean' install!

For more accurate details on this upgrade and the process of upgrading see the following link:
http://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/
BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:24 am
@BillRM,
Sometimes I get very very curious when a posting of mine that should not cause controversy and yet end up with votes down.

Would anyone care to show how brave they are by coming out into the open to explain those votes?
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:37 am
@Ragman,
Hmm I just had one of my girlfriend computers update itself from 8.1 to 10 a day ago without her doing anything to bring the update about so I am surprise that anyone would had a problem with getting their computers to update to 10.

I needed to reverse the update and then install never1o to keep it from doing another undesired update.

footnote the last I hear over 40,000 people had downloaded never10 in the few days it been available to stop those updates.
BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:58 am
@BillRM,
Another vote down of another posting of mine so do we have secret Microsoft employees on this system?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:31 am
@BillRM,
you have a computer for a girlfriend?

BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:38 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
you have a computer for a girlfriend?

Is it not time for you to milk your cows?????????
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 31 May, 2019 02:12 pm
For those who don't realize it, Microsoft comes out with a brand new version of Windows 10 twice a year.

Version 1703 was released in spring 2017.
Version 1709 was released in fall 2017.
Version 1803 was released in spring 2018.
Version 1809 was released in fall 2018.
Version 1903 came out a week ago.

If you want to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows 10, you can go here and click the big blue "update now" button:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose to upgrade, you should probably wait until you don't need to use the computer for a period of time. The upgrade process will probably take awhile.

It also might be worth waiting until after the next Patch Tuesday (which will be June 11) so they can fix any bugs that crop up in the new version.
sanorporgir

Sat 10 Aug, 2019 05:28 am
@BillRM,
Anyone know if you can upgrade an XP machine to the Windows 10 or does it not have adequate hardware for it?
oralloy

Sat 10 Aug, 2019 05:57 am
@sanorporgir,
Windows 8 and Windows 10 require processors with PAE, NX, and SSE2 capability.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121028174134/windows.microsoft.com/en-id/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

Without all three of those, Windows 7 is the farthest that it can be upgraded. So you'll need to figure out if your CPU has those functions.
sanorporgir

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 03:15 am
@oralloy,
Thanks for answer, you helped me! brazreader