Can you stump the bible thumper?

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:51 pm
Can you stump the bible thumper? http://adwoff.com/ubb/graemlins/blessing.gif

Here’s your chance. I believe in Christ and I read the bible, if you wish to ask me of any question concerning God and bible, please do so. If you ask a serious question, you’ll get a serious answer. If you are asking a question based on derision, you’ll receive an answer based on derision. And if you ask a ridiculous question, you’ll get a ridiculous answer.

All I am asking is this, if you want me to take the time to read your question, then please take the time to read my answer. I’m hoping that all you agnostics can be liberal minded, especially if you claim to be a liberal.

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:55 pm
Bible trivia? Quite frankly, on this site there is only one theist whose knowledge of the scriptures matches that of the most knowlegable non-theists.

You'll likely meet your match and it will most likely be a non-theist who knows the Bible better than do you.

So let the games begin. For now, I'm watching.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:21 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Bible trivia? Quite frankly, on this site there is only one theist whose knowledge of the scriptures matches that of the most knowlegable non-theists.

You'll likely meet your match and it will most likely be a non-theist who knows the Bible better than do you.

So let the games begin. For now, I'm watching.

This is not as much meant to be a trivia challenge game, I was more inclined for it to be about serious questions from people who doubt the bible. If ya wanna do trivia also, I'm game. But keep in mind, I never claimed to be a "know it all", I'm certain there are people who know the bible better then I. http://www.thechristianbbs.com/ubb/graemlins/thumbsup2.gif
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
OK - here's an honest question. It's one that's bothered me for years. The OT says that God loved Jacob but hated Esau (sorry - I don't have a Bible offshore so I can't give you chapter and verse). I can understand God hating Esau's actions and attitudes, but I can't see God hating Esau himself. What do you think?
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
I got one for which i've never heard a satisfactory answer . . . precisely how is it that Lot's daughters had sexual relations with him, but he slept through it all . . . thereby, of course, preserving his righteous piety?

Not that i'm all that intersted in the response of anyone naming themselves "Bible Thumper," as i rather suspect you take that entire fairy tale seriously, and likely subscribe to the notion of "revealed truth."

Have a nice life . . . be sure to write . . .

(CdK, where'd all the freaks come from today?)
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:43 pm
Setanta wrote:

(CdK, where'd all the freaks come from today?)

Dunno, I can only speak for myself and Gus.

I came from a fetid claustrophobic* womb. Gus from a swamp. Me 'n Gus have an unspoken understanding that they are, in essence, the same damn thing.

* Abusage welcoming a challenge.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:46 pm
I have a question regarding JEREMIAH 8 -- 14

Why do we sit still?
Gather together, let us go into the
fortified cities
and perish there

Wouldn't we be better off just sitting still?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Yoda wrote:

This is not as much meant to be a trivia challenge game, I was more inclined for it to be about serious questions from people who doubt the bible. If ya wanna do trivia also, I'm game. But keep in mind, I never claimed to be a "know it all", I'm certain there are people who know the bible better then I. http://www.thechristianbbs.com/ubb/graemlins/thumbsup2.gif

Come now Yoda, this really won't do. When you toss out a title like "Can you stump the bible thumper?" you raise expectations you know, and quite frankly now that I'm here I really want to see the spectacle.

I'm afraid you'll really have to live up to the game. I envision you holding a large leatherbound Bible and there being a vertiable horde of people to thump.

I'm quite excited and feel I can expect a stellar show of emoticons (love em) and people flying all over the place.

I think there should be a lion's den involved. It wrought great dramatic effect in the scriptures and would really spice up this game.

I'll start us off with some fun.

Who was the first tennis player in the Bible?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Gus: Yea, verily, I did laugh at thy righteous jest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:59 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I'm quite excited and feel I can expect a stellar show of emoticons (love em) and people flying all over the place.

There are only two nearly contemporary biographers of Charlemagne. One of them was a German monk of vivid imagination, names Nottker the Stammerer. He had Bishops flying around dispensing God's Holy Wrath on the benighted heads of the pagan Saxons, and instructing good, dense, wooly-headed Charlemagne at the same time.

Them Jesus folks, they really go in for flyin' in a big way, huh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:05 pm
where did Cains wife come from?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:07 pm
Please explain if you believe the Bible literally about Job. Does God really think he made things all right when he restored health and wealth to him? I don't recall that his murdered (by God and Satan) relatives and servants were brought back to life. What sort of justice was that, just to prove a point in a wager of God and devil? Why did Job have to cower to God, telling him he was no more than a worm before him? If he was no more than a worm why was he important to God and the Devil in the first place? Huh, mister?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:12 pm
<said in the strained tones of a little green guy>

The bible thumper have we scared away, hmmm?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:17 pm
Damn.
I sit here itching to thump.
To raise a veritable golly whumping thumping.
But, curses, it's not my thread.
And I am not inclined to try and persuade the gentiles. That's a no-no.
But all of the questions are about the "Old Testament" which we call Tanach; which we call Torah.
And we (de Jews) have been a-studyin' up on this for a loooooonnngg time.
Despair don't, Yoda. As you can, best you answer. Smile
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:20 pm
Jim wrote:
OK - here's an honest question. It's one that's bothered me for years. The OT says that God loved Jacob but hated Esau (sorry - I don't have a Bible offshore so I can't give you chapter and verse). I can understand God hating Esau's actions and attitudes, but I can't see God hating Esau himself. What do you think?

This was the split of the Jewish and Muslim religion. God hated the works and disobedience of Esau, (hate is not a sin) God loves His creation, but His creation did not love Him, at least not all of His creation. This is why some are judged with such evil and cast into the lake of fire. And don’t get me wrong, being a Muslim does not mean God hates you. You are judged by your works and saved by grace.

Jesus was born and crucified so that whomever has a repented heart and follows God’s commandments will live in the next life. There are two kinds of people that get to live in the next life, those that are His bride, and people who served God as if they knew him, they are those that obeyed the law that was written in their hearts. It is those of a wicked and un-repented heart that will be cast into the lake of fire. Only God knows the hearts of all men.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:24 pm
farmerman wrote:
where did Cains wife come from?

*nods*

Adam and Eve supposedly had 2 sons - Cain and Abel (Genesis 4:1 and 4:2). Cain left Eden (after killing Abel) and went to the land of Nod and found a wife (Genesis 4:16 and 4:17).

If we all came from Adam and Eve and they only had 2 sons where did all those people in the Land of Nod come from? *shrugs* (btw, asking this question in the 5th grade got me tossed outt of Catholic Elementry School! lol )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:24 pm
Your calendar you should check.
Esau earlier than Islam lived, no?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:27 pm
PSALMS 35 - 15

But at my stumbling they gathered
in glee,
they gathered together against
me;
cripples whom I knew not
slandered me without ceasing;
they impiously mocked more and
more,
gnashing at me with their teeth.

Sorry, Yoda, but that's the nature of A2K.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:27 pm
No no! Join in Moishe3rd! Now I can imagine two Bible-weilding men back to back ready to put off the horde a thump at a time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:30 pm
Gus is a closet ebianite
0 Replies