Humming noise in my house? Help!

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 04:50 pm
I just bought a house and it was no noise. Now I hear the humming noise in the kitchen and the living room inside the walls. First I thought it was HVIC system. But the noise will not stop even if the system is off. So I Turn off all my breakers one by one and listened if the humming goes away.
It went away as soon as I turned off garage power switch. So what can cause this humming sound inside my walls?
P.S. You can't hear the noise in the garage though, only kitchen and the living room...
Any Ideas? Thank you!

glitterbag

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:05 pm
@evasissy,
I'm not sure, but call a reputable electrician. Noise that stops when a breaker is turned off makes me nervous. I would be worried about the possibility of an electrical fire. Maybe even check the non-emergency fire department phone number and see if an inspector can check it out.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:28 pm
Sounds like something with a coil/transformer laminations breaking down.
Ragman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:15 am
@Wilso,
Often times it's a failing ballast from a fluorescent light...but as Wilso indicates somewhere there's got to be a transformer starting to have a nervous breakdown. If it were me, I'd hire an electrician.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 04:54 pm
I had a noise that was driving me crazy.

Turns out it was the ice maker in the frig. I don't have it hooked up, but when the metal bar is in the "ON" position, it makes a noise like it's trying to empty the ice bin. I moved the bar up and it stopped.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 10:16 pm
You could have a bee hive in the wall and it only seems to disappear when you turn off the garage circuit, as well as the other suggestions mentioned above .

There is also the possibility it could be a power inverter for the garage to run higher voltage tools/machinery . Why this is near the kitchen.... ????
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 04:22 am
@Ragman,
hows the rains down there? the weather guys make it sound like Florida is slipping out to sea.
I remember working down in the phosphate mine areas and seeing summer rainfalls 6" or more in an afternoon. If you were driving youd just pull over and listen to the radio till you could see again.
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 07:55 am
@farmerman,
For the last 2 weeks, we're having a lot of rains, for certain...but who/whom it affects is a bit sporadic. Here, locally in North Sarasota, I've noticed more toadstools, more water collecting in a few low spots while seeing it rain daily but not all day, either. All of these symptoms are slightly higher than usual for this time of the year. when it rains a lot..we might see 2 inches in a day...but not more..and that might have been once or twice.

However, south and north of me they're seeing much more rain with more problems. For 5 days the Myakka River...south of us is at or near-flood stage. Tampa to the north is having some trouble in low lying area. However it's not that exceptional so far.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 08:36 am
@evasissy,
Bees maybe? Some other living source?
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 08:58 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Bees...or a living source? Take note:
Quote:
It went away as soon as I turned off garage power switch
engineer

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 10:43 am
@Ragman,
There is rarely anything big on the garage circuit (since people tend to plug in high current tools into the garage outlets). It is likely a fluorescent ballast from the garage where the sound is carrying into the house. You could test that from the light switch.
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 11:27 pm
@engineer,
I agree and stated as such earlier.
0 Replies

evasissy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:19 pm
Finally learned what that noise was - it was a roof fan (far from the garage) but connected to garage circuit. But the switch was inside the garage though.
0 Replies

evasissy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:23 pm
Thank you to everybody for your answers !
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Humming noise in my house? Help!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:57:28