When was the last time you READ a major Newspaper front/back?

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 08:13 pm
I think it was about 7 years ago in a bookstore (BN or BORDERS) cafe as my wife messed around.

Might actually do it tomorrow...I have a three hour layover at LAX, am not taking a computer, and the LA Times seems to be off its deathbed.

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
This morning assuming you count my local daily newspaper as a "major" one.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 08:23 pm
@engineer,
Chicago Trib? Ya, just not compete crap papers like the Olympian, very narrow, very few pages, and mostly revenue generators not news.

I never liked the Sun Times.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Albuquerque Journal, every Sunday and 3 or 4 times a week if I have the time to do so.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:18 am

i read the Bahstin Globe sports section front to back, 7 days a week...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:33 am
I read from back to front. Comics first, then editorials, and finally the big news about traffic blocked by traffic.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 04:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Never
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 06:58 am
I used to subscribe to the New York Times and Washington Post and LA Times, not at the same year for all three. I never read every article, even in the sections I read a lot of articles/columns in. I tended to skip the business sections entirely, in all of them.

Now I have News among my bookmarks and have a list there of about a hundred news sites I'll look at from time to time, including quite a few not originating in the U.S. The order of the list has to do with likelihood of my looking at a site right now as opposed to later, but I do check those lower down on the list off and on, or take them out of the bookmark.

Sports news gets another bookmark...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 01:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't think I've ever read a newspaper front to back - I have though flipped through the entire paper - almost weekly I do so for the Sunday Boston Globe. I read almost every headline and the read the story when it is of interest to me.

I can't imagine anyone reading the entire paper - that would mean all the ads and obituaries and wedding announcements and stuff like that.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 02:39 pm
Seven days/week I read my copy of the NYTimes and my copy of the Wall Street Journal. They're delivered to the front door.

I always read each and every section including the death notices and on Sundays wedding announcements. The latter section truly shows the extensive diversity of the USA in terms of wealth, education and social status.

I always start off my reading with the business sections of both papers. I love it, especially the stock info.

I used to read the Boston Globe, but not any more. It's a worthless piece of nonsense.

If you want to know what the World thinks of Tom Brady ( "really thinks"!), just read the NYTimes...not good!

Over the years, the WSJ has changed quite a bit. They now publish an extensive coverage of real estate, arts and even a few points on sports.

I part of the Times, especially informative are the letters to editors section.
I love it...
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:04 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
If you want to know what the World thinks of Tom Brady ( "really thinks"!), just read the NYTimes...not good!

I'd imagine it would be from a viewpoint of a New Yorker - no wonder why not good....same as the Globe would be slanted toward the Bostonian point of view.

I read the Globe as much to get more local news than just the sports local stuff - and on a rare occassion though my daughter has been mentioned in sports in the Globe so I have a vested interest in the south shore section of the Globe.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:16 pm
I read the free neighborhood papers front to back. World news I get on an over the air digital channel of French/Japanese/Chinese/German/BBC broadcasts, all in English.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:31 pm
It's been 18 or so years since I read a Cdn or American major paper from cover to cover. I stopped about a year after I moved to this house and started driving to work - no time to read the paper. I'd pick up the paper that was delivered in the early morning and drop it straight into the recycling box as I went to the car. After a few months of that, I realized that there was no point in paying to get things to recycle Confused

When I do grab a paper, I tend to read the automotive/wheels section first, then business, comics and occasionally entertainment. If it's a paper with a politics section, I'll pull that and read it as well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:32 pm
@Miller,
I used to subscribe to WSJ, but mostly it was all the front page, skim the internal articles, and read the editorials and the letters. They did have a couple of weekly automotive articles which struck me as containing good information.

One year, I decided to give myself a month's vacation, and they thoughtfully and helpfully renewed the subscription to save me the trouble. Like many periodicals, they charged my credit card - again to save me any inconvenience. Like others that have done that, I had the charge removed and never resubscribed. Any magazines I order now are paid by check, though there are a few which do not offer that payment option - again, for my convenience.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
@Foofie,
Our local town has one paper each week. The only exciting (!) part of the paper is the crime section, also called the Police Report ( or something like that)!

I read the paper each week especially the real estate sections.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 04:39 pm
All the way through? Never. Most of it? Maybe ten years ago. I used to have the NY Times delivered.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Last Saturday on the train to Montauk. Someone I was travelling with had finished that day's NY Times and I asked for it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 03:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I usually red the Tues and Fri NYT all the way(Tues is science day and Fri is the arts special)
I read the Sunday Wash Post.
and almost every day the Lancaster New Era. I try to download the Globe and Mail every so often but I hate reading on line. Its tactilly unsatisfying, kinda like reading a cereal box.
roger

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 03:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Its tactilly unsatisfying, kinda like reading a cereal box.

Perfect. I'll try to remember that.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 10:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
What's a newspaper? Wink
0 Replies