engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't lose any sleep over it, but I don't understand those jumping up and down cheering because Goodell will have to shake hands with Patriot team members. When I was in college, Governor Edwards was running for his third term after sitting out due to term limits. Edwards was as crooked as they come and everyone knew it. The Feds had gone after him a few times and he'd beaten the charge. (He eventually got caught and spent some time in jail.) I had a lot of friends voting for him and they were really proud that he could be so crooked and get away with it. We were all paying for it, but he was their crook so they didn't care. I didn't get it then and I don't now. The game is worse off for these scandals. If you care about football, you are the victim. That the Patriots are great at beating the rap doesn't impress me. Lance Armstrong was the master of lawyering up and crushing the whistle blowers until science caught up with him. Without blood samples I guess the Pats will escape but it doesn't make me want to dance around and make the cops eat crow.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:24 pm
@engineer,
We are not talking about throwing games here. We are talking about 2 psi of pressure in a football. Even if the patriots are guilty... which is not certain... this is a pretty minor infraction. If you speed when driving your car, that does not make you guilty of assault.

I am proud to be a Patriots fan because they win. They win by hard work. They win with talent. They win with coaching. If you think that 2 psi changes that, you're crazy.

Yes I am proud as a loyal fan. In spite of Roger Goodell's unbalanced nonsense (he turns a blind eye to similar infractions from other teams), and in spite of a season with a large number of injuries, the Patriots are now one game away from the Superbowl. And, Brady has had another stellar year.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:25 pm
@engineer,
Now you are really stretching Engineer. How will blood samples prove that footballs are underinflated?
engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We are not talking about throwing games here. We are talking about 2 psi of pressure in a football. Even if the patriots are guilty... which is not certain... this is a pretty minor infraction. If you speed when driving your car, that does not make you guilty of assault.

But it does make you guilty of speeding. No one said that the Patriots should be banned from the league (ok probably a few people did say that), but to dance joyfully because they lawyered up and beat the rap doesn't make sense to me. They cheated. As you point out, they are a great team and they don't need to cheat to win, but they did anyway. If I were a fan, I'd be slightly embarrassed for them and hope they learned a lesson instead of mooning the guy who saved their butts last time and tried to give them a slap on the wrist this time around.
engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:33 pm
@maxdancona,
engineer wrote:
Lance Armstrong was the master of lawyering up and crushing the whistle blowers until science caught up with him. Without blood samples I guess the Pats will escape but it doesn't make me want to dance around and make the cops eat crow.

maxdancona wrote:

How will blood samples prove that footballs are underinflated?

I was refering to Lance Armstrong. Despite all the whistleblowers that came forward and the newspaper articles written, he would have walked free but that the drug samples were saved until better tests could be developed.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:40 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I'd be slightly embarrassed for them and hope they learned a lesson instead of mooning the guy who saved their butts

They can do both.

I assume that you agree that for Goodell to have any respect he has to be consistent.

A big reason for our disdain is the inconsistency. Several other teams (i.e. Panthers and Vikings) have been caught doctorin the balls in more blatant ways without more than a stern "stop that". Teams have also been caught videotaping (i.e. Jets, Dolphin).

Goodell isn't consistent. All of his talk about "integrity of the game" is nonsense.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:41 pm
@engineer,
Engineer wrote:
Without blood samples I guess the Pats will escape but it doesn't make me want to dance around and make the cops eat crow.

This is what I was giving you a hard time about, Engineer. I get the point you were trying to make...

My point is that enforcement should be applied consistently to all teams. Goodell has failed to do this.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am proud to be a Patriots fan because they win. They win by hard work. They win with talent. They win with coaching. If you think that 2 psi changes that, you're crazy.

They win by cheating. If the Detroit Redwings did that, people in Michigan would be ashamed to show themselves in public.
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:03 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
No one said that the Patriots should be banned from the league (ok probably a few people did say that), but to dance joyfully because they lawyered up and beat the rap doesn't make sense to me. They cheated. As you point out, they are a great team and they don't need to cheat to win, but they did anyway. If I were a fan, I'd be slightly embarrassed for them and hope they learned a lesson instead of mooning the guy who saved their butts last time and tried to give them a slap on the wrist this time around.

As I recall, this is still working its way through the courts. Perhaps once the suspension is reinstated someday in the future, it will be during the playoffs instead of at the beginning of the season.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:45 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

They win by cheating.

No, they win by being better then everyone else.
engineer

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 06:52 pm
@McGentrix,
Yet they continue to cheat. They don't need to but for some reason they do. Continuing with the tennis analogy, one of the all time greats, maybe IMO the second best of all time, has his coach yell advice to him during the game. In game coaching is illegal, but this guy continues to do it (and also takes significantly longer than the allowed time between points.) He's reputedly a great guy and a great player otherwise, but he ignores the rules and he's such a big draw that he can get away with it. Does it help him? Maybe mentally and the delay thing probably helps his aggressive game style, but I don't think he really gets an advantage out of it. Still, it significantly mars my opinion of him. He's too good to have to cheat all the time. Likewise the Pats.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 06:55 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
those jumping up and down cheering because Goodell will have to shake hands with Patriot team members.

they can all sit down now
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 08:30 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Yet they continue to cheat.

What exactly do you mean by this.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:32 am
Looks like the Supreme Court is going to have to decide this one. Anyone know where Merrick Garland stands on the Patriots?

Tom Brady’s Deflategate Suspension Restored By U.S. Court
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:20 pm
@engineer,

it's doubtful that he's a fan.

he's from the chicago area, but he did graduate from harvard law school in 1977.

the pates were a .500 team while he was here (7-7 in '74, 3-11 in '75, 11-3 in '76).

both daughters graduated from yale, so perhaps they were fans...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:22 pm

this decision will have serious repercussions for the rest of the league going forward.

goodell can continue to be judge, jury and executioner with every case that lands on his desk...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:38 pm
I love this from ESPN:

Brady signed a two-year contract extension during the offseason that
dropped his 2016 salary from $9 million to $1 million. That could save Brady
almost $2 million in lost salary during a four-game suspension.

OK, so you give up $8 million in order to save $2 million? Huh?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:44 pm
@George,

something doesn't add up...

presumably, he took the pay cut so the team could go out and sign free agents, which they did ...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:52 pm
@George,

he also received a $28 million signing bonus with this contract, so he's good...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
I wish I could make head or tails out of salary cap math, but I suspect that
that is where we'd find the reason for the $1 million salary in 2016 (and, by
the way, in 2017).
0 Replies