Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:37 pm
I have been criticized for using the word vagina here on able 2 know.

This of course is nothing new in our patriarchal society. Even just the word itself makes people uncomfortable. And at the same time, nobody flinches at the word "penis". That's because our society is run by men, and men are made uncomfortable by vaginas.

What is your reaction to the word "vagina"? Mine is one of pride and power.

There is nothing wrong with my vagina or your vagina. And it is OK to talk about them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 3,813 • Replies: 64
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by whitebars
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:16 pm
@whitebars,
Can you show me where anyone has used the word "penis" without anyone flinching? I don't see anyone (other than you) throwing either of these words around.

That being said, I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with anyone being proud of having either a vagina or a penis.

As the saying goes "The vagina mightier than the sword"

(Who is criticizing you?)
Butrflynet

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:27 pm
@whitebars,
No no no no, I can't believe you are being criticized just for using the word vagina here on A2K! Please tell me it isn't so.
roger

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh, no no no!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:40 pm
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

I have been criticized for using the word vagina here on able 2 know.

This of course is nothing new in our patriarchal society. Even just the word itself makes people uncomfortable. And at the same time, nobody flinches at the word "penis". That's because our society is run by men, and men are made uncomfortable by vaginas.

What is your reaction to the word "vagina"? Mine is one of pride and power.

There is nothing wrong with my vagina or your vagina. And it is OK to talk about them.

Well I can't speak for all the women on this forum, but frankly I'm not interested in any of your vagina stories. I have my own organ to keep me busy. I won't be seeking your support, just keep in mind most women view vaginal health as a personal issue . But its great to know you think your vagina is so special. Thats the last thing I care to share regarding your V, congrats, over 50% of the population has a vagina. Imagine that? Your V is not so unique, as you think.
whitebars

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
over 50% of the population has a vagina.

And even though that's more than half, women are still held down by men. This has a lot to do with internalized misogyny. Women could vote more women into office, and vote for more female friendly laws, but they don't.

Quote:
Your V is not so unique, as you think.

All VAGINA'S are unique and special. If you're not comfortable with vaginas I feel sorry for you.
0 Replies

whitebars

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Can you show me where anyone has used the word "penis" without anyone flinching?

Not necessarily the word "penis", but euphemisms for "penis" are accepted by society at large. "Cock", "Dong", "Dick', "Pecker", "Schlong", "Spanking your meat", "flogging the one eyed serpent"etc, etc, This is all very socially acceptable language in the media. But if you say "****", watch out! (Also off the top of my head, in the movie E.T. one of the little boys says "Penis breath".)

Quote:
I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with anyone being proud of having either a vagina or a penis.

I think I might have made angry statements towards you in my first thread here. I apologize. I genuinely appreciate your candor and civility.

Who are the feminists on able to know? Have I met one yet?
Ionus

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 02:38 am
@whitebars,
Quote:
Who are the feminists on able to know? Have I met one yet?
I'm a lesbian, does that count ? The word vagina comes from the Latin for a sword sheath . The word vanilla comes from the same source as the seed pod looked like a knife sheath...so vanilla is sort of a little vagina in a very round about way .
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 11:43 am
@whitebars,
You have met feminists, you just are too wound up to recognize them. You can't even recognize which members are women. By the way, you were not criticized or using the word vagina, you were chastised by another woman when you asked a poster if she had had unprotected sexual intercourse. The woman told you it was none of your business, and your response was "does my vagina make you uncomfortable?". Apparently you thought you were talking to a man, but you were not. The OP was not asking about all women's vagina stories, it was a post about a possible UTI or vaginal infection.

Women like you make the rest of us appear brittle, shrill, humorless and militant over nonsense.
maxdancona

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 12:41 pm
@whitebars,
Quote:
"Cock", "Dong", "Dick', "Pecker", "Schlong", "Spanking your meat", "flogging the one eyed serpent"etc, etc, This is all very socially acceptable language in the media.

Really? I don't think these are any more socially acceptable than words like "pussy" or "beaver".
glitterbag

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
"Cock", "Dong", "Dick', "Pecker", "Schlong", "Spanking your meat", "flogging the one eyed serpent"etc, etc, This is all very socially acceptable language in the media.

Really? I don't think these are any more socially acceptable than words like "pussy" or "beaver".

I'm with max on this, and frankly I don't see or hear the words that whitebar claims are used regularly in the media. I also don't believe that people lose their marbles when they see vagina in print. However if one women asks a second women if her vagina makes the second women uncomfortable, that's a tad aggressive and will draw a few groans from other woman.
whitebars

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 05:19 pm
@maxdancona,
I am being blocked from commenting/replying to my own thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/285616-1

I dare say I have ruffled some feathers and am now being censored.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 03:16 am
@glitterbag,
Nonono hasn't does his homework. Vagina actually means sheath, so the word implies that its only purpose is its relationship to the penis. Remove the penis and the vagina is redundant.

What sort of feminist would want to celebrate a word like that?

Germaine Greer on why the C word is more appropriate.

Ionus

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 04:07 am
@izzythepush,
So cuniculus, latin for borrow or underground passage is more appropriate ? You're an idiot and so is Greer .Greer is a woman who believed in rape and was/is clearly mentally ill .
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:30 am
@izzythepush,
Whitebars aka Nononono just doesn't understand women--or how they think about, or talk about, or regard their bodies. He thinks vaginal symbols employed in feminist art or literature reflect literal concerns or perceptions about their genitalia that surface in the actual discourse of average women regularly and generally. He also fails to realize that some of this vaginal symbolism in feminist art was simply push-back against Freudian psychoanalytic notions that females had "penis envy".

Nononono, bound by his own male perspective, thinks women tend to regard their vaginas the way men regard their penises, and to invest them with similar identity-defining attributes of "power" "pride" "masculinity" "manhood" "strength", etc. His thinking is unfortunately concrete and literal, and hastily concocted from his grasping at snippets of various Wikipedia articles on feminism, or from the anti-feminist rants on the men's rights activists Web sites, which is why it winds up being so distorted and inaccurate. He actually knows next to nothing about feminism. That can be seen in his posts in the most recent pages of this thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/285616-10#post-5997154

Nononono seems to have no awareness that vaginas are only rather small internal portions of a rather complex female sexual/reproductive apparatus that is largely hidden from a female's view. For many women, the actual vagina is the least sensitive part of the genitalia contributing to organism.
http://216.105.128.136/Lparmenterweb/Bio211Lab/Bio211chapter28lab/figure_28_13_0_labeled.jpg
Women may need to use a mirror to properly visualize their external genitalia, and to view anatomical drawings like the one above, to visualize the internal portions. It's not what's externally visible between her legs, as nononono seems to think, and most women don't want to sit around and discuss their vaginas any more than they want to discuss their eyes or ears or other body parts. As far as making us special and unique, I think every woman I know would credit her brain over her vagina for giving her that uniqueness and power.

But, since nononono's goal is to mock and ridicule women, particularly "feminists", he can't be bothered dealing with reality or actually listening to any women.

I didn't grow up hearing either the words "vagina" or "penis"--my family used their own euphemistic terms for these body parts, words which were really more personal and private, and not without a certain amount of affection and warmth that is lost when using the anatomical terms. Truthfully, I still retain a certain fondness for using the euphemisms in private. My "vagina" is part of what my gynecologist examines. Wink

My memory may be faulty, but I think it was the second-wave feminists, possibly along with the sex researchers of the time, who urged using the word "vagina" more often than the euphemisms so that women could be more open and public about discussing and exploring their sexuality, as well as any sexual problems they experienced. I think referring to this area by the neutral and objective and clinical term "vagina" did help women to communicate more openly--particularly about their sexual needs--because "vagina" seemed more impersonal it reduced their embarrassment and modesty.

Anyway, nononono (aka whitebars and possibly aka Buttermilk as well) has a previous history of starting numerous trash threads which are used to generate or hurl insults at other members and just generally stir up totally needless unpleasantness at A2K. He's continuing that pattern now, albeit in female drag as an alleged "feminist", on these 2 currently active threads, in addition to this one.
http://able2know.org/topic/285616-1
http://able2know.org/topic/285933-1
And he's continuing his juvenile brand of nastiness in this thread started by Setanta...
http://able2know.org/topic/285691-1

And this was his first thread as whitebars...
http://able2know.org/topic/262626-1

He's an attention whore who seems to get a kick out of trying to jerk people around and trash threads. This current "feminist" impersonation of his is just the latest incarnation to help drag this site down.
izzythepush

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:35 am
@firefly,
I think you're spot on, and there's no depths he won't plunge on his mission to denigrate and humiliate women, aided and abetted by the usual suspects.
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 07:54 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
. By the way, you were not criticized or using the word vagina, you were chastised by another woman when you asked a poster if she had had unprotected sexual intercourse. The woman told you it was none of your business, and your response was "does my vagina make you uncomfortable?".

Can you imagine a real woman saying to anyone, in any circumstance, something as weird as, "Does my vagina make you uncomfortable?" Laughing Laughing Laughing It's a bizarre comment. Particularly when made in a cyberspace forum, where the vagina, and all other physical characteristics of a person can't be seen.

Nononono/whitebars doesn't know how to convincingly impersonate a female, even for purposes of parody.

Quote:
Women like you make the rest of us appear brittle, shrill, humorless and militant over nonsense.

That's the point of his unflattering impersonation of an alleged "feminist"--it's meant to be a negative caricature, but it is also intended to stir up dissension among other posters, including among female posters.
glitterbag

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:17 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Can you imagine a real woman saying to anyone, in any circumstance, something as weird as, "Does my vagina make you uncomfortable?" Laughing Laughing Laughing It's a bizarre comment. Particularly when made in a cyberspace forum, where the vagina, and all other physical characteristics of a person can't be seen.
[/quote]

Thats the part that made me groan, I know exactly how other women would react if some idiot asked if her vagina made them uncomfortable, the idiot would be sorry she was ever born. Women will not put up with that bullshit, and if whitebar was a women, he would know that.

Nononono/whitebars doesn't know how to convincingly impersonate women

He can't even do an impersonation of a fuzzy-brained angry person who thinks feminism is about oppressing men.

Quote:

That's the point of his unflattering impersonation of an alleged "feminist"--it's meant to be a negative caricature, but it is also intended to stir up dissension among other posters, including among female posters.
[/quote]

Well, I'm pretty sure he didn't get the reaction he was hoping for, he came off like a lunatic.
maxdancona

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:23 pm
@glitterbag,

0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:47 pm
"Vagina" and "penis" are anatomic, medical terms. Anyone who's shocked by their use is on the prudish side of things.