What is that stench?!!

chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:54 am
Weirdest this this morning. I woke up (actually the smell woke me up), sniffed the air while half asleep and wondered what strange food Wally was making for breakfast. Then I realized no way was this food.

I got up, and as I walked down the hall to the living room, the smell got worse and worse. Wally was there, already aware of it. We searched around, and both decided this one spot in the office was the center of the stench. Wally looked under the house and in the attic for something dead. Nope. During this time, it was so bad I had to leave the house, and stayed outside while drinking a cup of coffee.

When I came back in, it was so much worse inside. I had to go back to the bedroom and close the door, while he decided to move some file cabinets in the office to see what might be back there.

I dozed off for maybe 1/2 hour, and when I came back out the smell was gone. I thanked him for taking care of it, and he said he never found anything. I jokingly said it must have been some evil spirit passing through.

But seriously, it was bad. It smelled like about 100 pounds of rotting garbage and spread through most of the house. In a very brief time.

Could it have been something in the pipes? Toilets were flushed, and I ran the garbage disposal for a few seconds in the kitchen, but it didn't sound like anything was stuck in there. At the moment I did all that, nothing changed. It went away during the 1/2 hour or so I was in the bedroom.

Right now I'm in the office, and if I sniff really hard there's maybe a vague remnant of the odor, but more like just a bit left in the air.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 24
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:22 am
In my home, besides the regular garbage, there was usually a coffee can of some of the worst garbage, until I got a little smarter. One day I decided there was something dead, under the house or inside a wall. I totally forgot that sometimes the smell gets outside of a can like that. After about an hour and a half trying to locate the smell, I got wise and took the coffee can to the outside garbage. Problem solved. I also quit using those cans like that.
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
That's the thing, we had no garbage in the house. It had all been taken out Saturday afternoon. Outside of the house, no smell at all, not in the garbage can, or anywhere around the house.

Strangest thing.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:23 pm
@chai2,
If you were the only one who smelled it, it might be worth mentioning o your doctor. Smelling things strongly that others don't can be a symptom of a brain illness.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:25 pm
@chai2,
some little critter died in the house, ballooned up with gasses, the body blew up, the stench hung in for an hour or so, then dissipated

it happens
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

If you were the only one who smelled it, it might be worth mentioning o your doctor. Smelling things strongly that others don't can be a symptom of a brain illness.

Where did I say I was the only one that smelled it?
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

some little critter died in the house, ballooned up with gasses, the body blew up, the stench hung in for an hour or so, then dissipated

it happens

Yeah, I was thinking that. Does the gas from something dead exploding smell like really rotten garbage?

After the smell went away, I was working in the office, and it came back, maybe an hour later, but much, much milder. I closed the door off, and went out to the pool. Now there's nothing.

We're going to buy some drain cleaner and treat all the drains in the house, just to be sure.

Freakiest thing. Wally was really glad it went away, since he looked and didn't see anything above or below. Maybe if it was a small animal, like a rodent, he wouldn't have even seen it under the house.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Does the gas from something dead exploding smell like really rotten garbage?

on a good day

stench is really the best way to describe it

really the only way to get rid of the smell completely is open windows/doors as much as possible - true cross-ventilation

google dead mouse smell

apparently they tend to die in walls - so pretty hard to locate

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:01 pm
@chai2,
I was under the impression that Wally didn't really smell it, that it was vivid only to you. A neighbor lady of ours was found to have a small benign tumor when she couldn't get rid of a scent of spoilt meat only she smelled.

I meant no offense. Mentioning a small thing like that to my doctor is what found my bladder cancer. We're all getting older and I was trying to be helpful,
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:05 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
We're going to buy some drain cleaner

I immediately thought 'drains' when I read the start of this thread. Around my area you sometimes get a smell like rotten eggs after rain. We are very low lying.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

apparently they tend to die in walls - so pretty hard to locate

Ah so.

My SIL parents had a bunch of starlings die in the walls inside their summer house. I'm glad I wasn't there to experience it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 02:32 pm
@chai2,
we have avery old house that has chair rails and sills that are 24" deep and Id removed em all and stuffed insulation onto the space in between. This was a dumb idea because mice would come iin and use the insulation like a nest. So we sent in a herd of exterminators who killed em all and then whatever died was in the walls for a while. It was winter and the walls wouldnt give up their smells easily.
SO I tore out sills and arches and door panelling between rooms and sections of the house an had a professional come in n use that blown expanded foam insulation. That had a degas that keeps all critters away.

Living in the country has its benefits and challenges
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:40 pm
A skunk maybe?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:56 pm
I usually try to blame the dog.
Carole is getting too smart for that now.
Embarrassed
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:13 pm
@neologist,
Is Carole your dog or your wife.
neologist

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:32 pm
@roger,
Dog's name is Tobias Fleabitis. But he doesn't speak Latin.
So we call him Toby.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 09:13 am
@chai2,
I vote it was Wally. He pretended it was something else to avoid embarassment.
neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:22 pm
@Linkat,
I didn't want to say that.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 03:26 pm
@neologist,
You might as well have.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 09:40 pm
That happens to me a lot, so I have a shower and it goes away . Apart from that, I think ehBeth has this one nailed .
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is that stench?!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:21:32