Does using a the back brake instead of the front save you from flying over the handlebars?

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 12:42 pm
I was pedalling down the road in my apartment complex when an envelope with money in it flew out of my bag . I had to make an abrupt stop, the back brake wouldn't work, so I used the front brake instead. I ended up flying over the handle bars and breaking my arm. I found later the back brake was broken to what I believe was poor assembly. It was a cheap Walmart mountain bike. I was wondering, if the back brake had been working would this have caused me from avoiding such a painful accident?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 15
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 12:55 pm
@socioslayer1,
In one word, yes!

When braking, it's advised to use the rear break first, then the front to prevent exactly what you experienced. Too heavy of an application of the front brake only causes a complete stop..and a bad hair day.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:02 pm
You could have lowered your position by bending your arms and shifted your weight towards the back of your saddle to put more weight on the back of the bike when breaking hard.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 02:51 pm
Why can so many people not spell "brake" or "braking"?
roger

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:20 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
That particular misusage is a constant annoyance.

By the way, I'm told that about 75% of the stopping power comes from the front brake and wheel. It's a good idea to form the habit of using both.
Ragman

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 06:26 pm
@roger,
That figure (75% of stopping power) refers to a car...not a bike.

The reason you get thrown over the handlebars is you use the front brake or mainly the front brake) is because it's the forward wheel.
roger

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 06:34 pm
@Ragman,
Front wheel stops and bike with rider keep going.
InfraBlue

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 07:39 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
It's more a matter of carelessness and negligence than spelling prowess.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:02 pm
@roger,
I'm lucky that only happened to me once..when I was good at healing quickly.
roger

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:14 pm
@Ragman,
Know what you mean about healing. My worst spill outside of a chance encounter with a Toyota was making a short turn at low speed. Just enough toe overlap for foot to collide with the front fender which dug into the tire hard enough to bring the whole thing to a stop. No endo, but a dead drop to the ground with no preparation at all.
Ragman

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:26 pm
@roger,
Well, my falls have been multiple but only one of them was ass-over-teakettle due to squeezing the front brake.

One of the more amusing events was an Artie-Johnson-Laugh-In-Slow-Mo falls that happened when I couldn't get my clip-in shoes out of the clip-in pedals. I fell over laughing at 1 mph. made it even better be4cause I was riding with a bike group . Only had a few dozen witnesses.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:52 pm
@socioslayer1,
Did you have a spring tune-up done on the bike? when was the last time the bike had a safety check?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:53 pm
@socioslayer1,
Have you had any bike riding classes that would have taught you what to do in a situation like this? I'd recommend it - sooner rather than later.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:43 am
@socioslayer1,
All of this can be solved by carrying an anchor, just drop it when you want to stop.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:51 am
@socioslayer1,
Quote:
... when an envelope with money in it flew out of my bag.

Breaks/breaks/broke my leg scrambling after the money bag!
0 Replies

EddyP

Wed 29 Jul, 2015 09:29 am
@socioslayer1,
It was definitely due to the back brake. This is because the front wheel is stopping abruptly and causing friction and therefore stopping momentum, whilst your back wheel is still going full force.

This means your front wheel will be pushing down and gripping to the floor whilst your back wheel will still be moving therefore meaning the back of the bike will fall forward.

Include that with your weight, it results in a very painful fall!

Anyway, i hope you are okay mate. Sounds like a nasty accident!

Hope this helps

0 Replies