Do you like trip-hop music?

iLevan

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 07:37 pm
Or the trip-hop music genre in general? If so, which artist/group is your favorite and why?

I've been listening to Massive Attack/Tricky, Portishead, Hooverphonic, and the likes since the mid-2000's (around 2006-2007) and I've been in love with the genre ever since. Even artists such as Bjork and Moby have incorporated the sound into earlier works of theirs.

My generation has FKA Twigs, who's work is alright, but isn't the best rendition of the genre. And her style reflects off too much of Grimes than it does a Massive Attack-like style.

My favorite trip hop artist/group is Hooverphonic. Although they've had three different singers over the course of eight albums plus an additional orchestrated remastering of their biggest songs, I've come to love all of their albums. They all include the use of trip-hop in correlation with electronica and the use of classical instruments, especially pianos and violins/harps/strings.

If you haven't heard of them, I recommend you listen to their oldest stuff first before listening to their newer releases, as their earlier releases were more underground and their newer stuff has gotten a more mainstream, but still interesting, sound. If you like orchestral renditions of songs, you should listen to their album "Hooverphonic with Orchestra", it's amazing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,576 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:32 pm
@iLevan,
What is trip hop? Never heard of it before.
cherrie

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:42 pm
@roger,
I've never heard of it either.
0 Replies

joannawood1245

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 03:24 am
@iLevan,
never heard, would u mind introduce sth
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 07:18 am