Blew a Great First Date_Need Advice

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:15 pm
I'll weigh in that it was way dumb - read invasive - to do, and I don't think she is/was over-reacting. It was way out of bounds.

Given you've sincerely apologized and she somehow still thinks you could possibly be all right, I'll roll my eyes and wish you two the best.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:15 pm
@Queryfox,
Speaking as a woman, and thank God those little phones were not available back then, if that had happened to me when I was in my 20's I would have been completely creeped out. I know social media has become the norm for many young people and not so young people, but sweetheart, what were you thinking? You couldn't just wait until after the date to brag to your buddies about what a great looking gal you were with?

Even back in the dark ages when I was young, young women had to be cautious when they went out with men they just met. (Actually that's still true). You probably triggered her flight reaction, I'm surprised she didn't just say "I need the ladies room" then grab a cab and get the hell home. You know what your intentions were, she didn't. Your female friends like you too much and that's why they said she over reacted.

Just don't do this again, we all screw up from time to time, just move on.
Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:20 pm
@Vernon of Prague,
Well Vernon I appreciate your comments. First off, the reason you see the abbreviations is because I typed this original message on a forum that limited the characters I could use and so I had to come back in and cut down the words. I didn't want to rewrite and so I just copied and pasted it here. I am a CPA and an entrepreneur with years of professional reading and writing experience. I am sorry if you didn't understand it. And yes...I am that normal guy who just happen to do something stupid one time...nothing to it. Actually she goes to law school in Pittsburg and has a lot going on with regards to joggling a family of 2 kids and an ex as well as the demands of law school. I am a single professional with no kids of my own and live in the Washington DC area (about 4 hours from Pittsburg). So to be honest with regards to long term, it was difficult to know how things were going to turn out but I was just trying to get to know her and enjoy the time she's here NOW...and see where things take us.
Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks! I agree with everything you said. And BTW, when the dust settled my friends actually told me that what I did was bad and that I screwed up...so you're right. I made too many errors in that short time...just out of character. I appreciate your advice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:45 pm
@Queryfox,
On the abbreviations, I got yours, but sometimes I spend inordinate time looking up initials on Urbandictionary.. (she whines).
On the other hand, many of a2k's best writers can flub up, producing a mistake salad, when they are using their phones. It's almost funny when you know how well they write in general. I don't have a smart phone but get the need to shortcut, am training myself to get used to it.

We are of different ages; this place reads a little older, so some can have hand troubles, lots of people are not english as first language speakers, some are not natural spellers. It's a mix, no need to have everyone the same.

Anyway, welcome to A2k, and good luck with this person you like.

0 Replies

Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks! I'll just learn from it...painful but its what it is.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:31 pm
@Queryfox,
Oh wow, I used to hit the clubs in D.C. Back in the day. D.C. Is crawling with young bright attractive people, you will land on your feet.

By the way, you were incredibly gracious in response to the criticism, not many of our younger men have shown the same poise and maturity. Let me morph into Mom mode for a second, your mother and father did a great job raising you.

Remind me to tell you some time about how I totally freaked out a blind date in my early 20's due to a string of improbable circumstances. You'll feel better, I promise.
Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks for the encouragement glitterbag! Yeah would love to hear your story some day. Haha!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:44 pm
one more thing - please tell us that when you talked to your friends about this, you didn't mention who the woman on the date was
Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:57 pm
@ehBeth,
No ehBeth...they don't know her; I just met her. That was my second time seeing her and it was our first "get together". And frankly my female friends never defended my actions...they all said it was really bad and she had the right to respond the way she did, if she wanted. They just said they would have handled it differently...address the issue right there (or even laugh it off) and not call it a deal breaker.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 05:12 pm
@Queryfox,
Good news that your friends can't i.d. her.

Yeah, everyone reacts differently to privacy stuff like this. Always best to ask.
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:17 pm
@Queryfox,
thank you for reply.

I am not going to tell what to do, in such situation event the best advice can make more damage then help, but this is what I would do in your shoes- maybe you will like something from this, maybe not - first at all I ask myself what I did. You are entrepreneur so either you know what are you doing or not. In case of not, shame Smile . I would send apology and wait for response. If none comes, let her go. In another case I would not apology, but rather explain myself (maybe something like "I took your photo because you are so beautiful and wanted my friends to see how happy I am" or add your own reason). And then I would wait for response. If no positive comes, I would let her go. In any case, women are plentiful and finding nice is not that hard if you have something to offer... and also you are on right place in right time.

95% of men who ever ask for advice need the same thing - remind them to keep their dignity and confidence.

wish you best luck.
Queryfox

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:33 pm
@Vernon of Prague,
Thanks Vernon!
0 Replies