Why were the 90's literally so blue?

iLevan

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 02:40 pm
Literally! Lol, just think about it. Particularly the late 90's, especially 1998-1999.

For one thing, every expansion team in the 90's had to attempt to shoehorn blue/teal or purple into their team colors. For example: the San Jose Sharks, Florida Marlins (which at least actually fits into the local flavor or Miami), Jacksonville Jaguars, etc.

Secondly, the color blue was just about everywhere in 90's music as well. Eiffel 65 had a whole song about it ("I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee)"), and the color was overwhelmingly incorporated in a ****-ton of music videos throughout the decade. Three of the four music videos for Madonna's 1998 album, Ray of Light, were immersed in blue (the title track, "Frozen", and "The Power of Goodbye"). "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden had a blue sky set as the background for most of the video. Metallica's "Enter Sandman" was another video that was covered in blue. The video for "Come as You Are" by Nirvana was another one. TLC's "Waterfalls", The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphonie", "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys, Enimem's "My Name Is", "Doo Wop (That Thing)" by Lauryn Hill, "Are You That Somebody" by Aaliyah, "I Want You Back" by Mel B and Missy Elliot, "Ava Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins, "Say It" by Voices of Theory, "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will be Next" by Manic Street Preachers, "Californication" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Even lesser known artists such as Hooverphonic had it EVERYWHERE in their videos, like "Eden" (which had a popular cover by Sarah Brightman), and "Inhaler". Even their first three albums all had blue artwork.

Anyways, the list goes on and on. Even look them all up if you are curious.

Is it just me or have y'all noticed this too? Why were the late 90's obsessed with blue/teal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,747 • Replies: 10
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 07:08 pm
@iLevan,
Check out Wikipedia for the American institute of color, or a similar wording. There is actually an organization that forecasts colors for textile companies and fashion and furniture companies. How they do it, I don't really know, but when I checked today the color of the year is 'Madeira". Who knew?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 07:11 pm
@glitterbag,
I recently shopped for new family room furniture, apparently every shade of gray and taupe are heavily favored. Even carpet color is leaning heavily this way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 07:32 pm
http://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year

2015 = marsala

50 years of color

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone.aspx?pg=21111&ca=90

http://www.pantone.com/images/50YearsAnni/Pantone_Celebrate_v8_English.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:02 am
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:27 am
@Setanta,
That was ghastly, but I was afraid it was going to be "she wore blue velvet", Now I'm not sure which one is worse. I'm pretty sure I just developed a cavity just listening to the first 15 words, I would have shut off more quickly but I'm using a different device and couldn't find the SHUT UP button quickly enough.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:33 am
@Setanta,
awwww I love this
it was one of mrs. hamburgboy's favourites when I was little
we sang along together
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 12:48 pm
@glitterbag,
How about this?

glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:07 pm
@izzythepush,
At this time, I'd like to invoke my 5th amendment right.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 06:00 am
@glitterbag,
What a rube . . . if you don't like it, don't listen to it.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 09:53 am
@Setanta,
I didn't. He sold a lot of records so many people like his music. I'm just not one of them. If you like it, great.
0 Replies