What does "awe nutz!" mean?

cofeka

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 02:14 am
In this YouTube video (Edit [Moderator]: Link removed), the dinosaur keeps saying "awe nutz!"
What does it mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,410 • Replies: 13

FBM

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 02:19 am
@cofeka,
It's an old way to express mild disappointment. People don't say that much anymore.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 02:19 am
Goddamn all text-speak. It's "Aw, nuts," and it expresses frustration.
0 Replies

cofeka

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 06:25 am
@FBM,
Thank you!
@Setanta
Thank you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 07:42 am
I still use it, but just say Nuts!, in mild frustration.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 10:12 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 10:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for the link - now I remember knowing about that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:00 pm
Nuts used by itself, as in that context, means, roughly "piss off."
GorDie

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 02:35 pm
@cofeka,
jeeze. "awe nutz" means: Jeeze.

ahahahah.

It means:
-that is too bad.
-what a pity.
-"That is not what I wanted. / That is not what I had intended. / That is not fair. / That is not good."

- "Darn."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
Heard that years ago. By the time I finished basic, I figured out that any American military person saying 'Nuts' had to be referring to testicles.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 05:41 pm
Well, i think it always did refer to testicles--but the full expression was "nuts to you!"--i think "piss off" is a good enough translation.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 06:53 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Nuts means Crazy in this context, or lunacy, or insanity. Not "Piss-off" as Setanta says is their cultural norm.
XD ahahah. good one though. funny clip.

"Do you accept our offer?" Nazi.
American's response, "Insanity! (NUTS)"
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 06:55 pm
@FBM,
I use it a lot to be honest. always have. It's a popular one with me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 02:57 am
@Lordyaswas,
A bit of context on Lordyaswas' video:

Battle of the Bulge:
Quote:
While we were still surrounded, on the morning of December 22, a German surrender party, consisting of two officers and two NCOs, and carrying a white flag, approached our perimeter in the area of our Glider Regiment, the 327th. The party was taken to a nearby platoon command post. While the enlisted men were detained the officers were blind folded and taken to the command post of the 327th where they presented their surrender ultimatum. The ultimatum in essence said the 101st's position was hopeless and that if we elected not to surrender a lot of bad things would happen.

The message was brought in to the Division Headquarters by Major Alvin Jones, the S-3, and Colonel Harper, the Regimental Commander. They brought the message to me, the G-3 and Paul Danahy, the G-2. My first reaction was that this was a German ruse, designed to get our men out of their fox holes. But be that as it might, we agreed that we needed to take the message up the line. We took it first to the acting Chief of Staff of the Division, Lt. Col. Ned Moore. With him, we took the message to the acting Division Commander General Tony McAuliffe. Moore told General McAuliffe that we had a German surrender ultimatum. The General's first reaction was that the Germans wanted to surrender to us. Col. Moore quickly disabused him of that notion and explained that the German's demanded our surrender. When McAuliffe heard that he laughed and said: "Us surrender? Aw, nuts!"
Quote:
But then McAuliffe realized that some sort of reply was in order. He pondered for a few minutes and then told the staff, "Well I don't know what to tell them." He then asked the staff what they thought, and I spoke up, saying, "That first remark of yours would be hard to beat." McAuliffe said, "What do you mean?" I answered, "Sir, you said 'Nuts'." All members of the staff enthusiastically agreed, and McAuliffe decided to send that one word, "Nuts!" back to the Germans.

http://www.thedropzone.org/europe/Bulge/kinnard.html

It subsequently became an inspirational rallying cry for American infantry, who defiantly shouted "Nuts!" at German soldiers in the heat of battle.
0 Replies