Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:20 am
I have a 2 pole 240v breaker inside my house for my swimming pool pump, I test my breaker and it give me the correct voltage which is 240v but at the other end where I got my swimming pool pump connected to which is a swimming pool timer it only give me a reading of 120v why is that? Is something wrong with my wiring that feeds the breaker to the timer or what do you'll think. Please help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 819 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:39 am
@12302Nunez,
The two hot wires are 180 out of phase so when you go across them you get 240V. Maybe you are checking one of the lines to ground instead of to the other hot line.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:40 am
@12302Nunez,
Nun, check voltage at the input to the timer, then its output

I wonder however whether single- or two-phase . If two, things get more complicated. And are you measuring across the supposedly 220-v terminals or are you holding your black prod instead at ground (edited to add) as supposed by Eng

If single- then you might be in real trouble depending on exactly where you're holding that black probe; so please don't electrocute yourself before additional careful measurement, for instance what you're assuming neutral maybe really isn't

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 07:59 am
@12302Nunez,
I'm going to assume, but it is not clear, that the wiring goes straight from the breaker to the timer ? It is unlikely for a fault to drop the voltage to exactly half, so I expect you have 120V deliberately for the pump . Does the pump have a data plate saying what voltage it is ? Does the timer ?
0 Replies