Why it takes awhile to understand English!!

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:18 pm
There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meaning than any other two-letter word, and that is "UP."

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we waken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?

Why do we speak UP and why are the officers up for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends, we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.

We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning.
People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.
And this UP is confusing:
A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP.

To be knowledgeable of the proper uses of UP, look UP the word in the dictionary. In a desk size dictionary, takes UP almost 1/4th the page and definitions add UP to about thirty.

If you are UP to! it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.

When it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it doesn't rain for awhile,things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so I'll shut UP.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,512 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:15 am
Hey suzy...wassup?

Loved it.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
Hi Joe! Thanks. Smile Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back here. My computer is running really s l o w, so I've been pretty much just checking in with the really long posts. I'm trying not to whine that it takes about 30 seconds between the time I click and the time the page opens up! The speed of technology has spoiled us, and I'm attempting to be "above all that" instant gratification stuff! Wink
Thanks for your response! I thought this was a really fun thing because I've heard it said that english is a hard language to learn, but this is the best example I've seen yet!
Have a great weekend! I gotta work Sad
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
I really did like it! I'm dreadfully sorry that you're working this weekend. I, on the other hand, started two weeks vacation yesterday.

Is that gloating? Why, I believe it is. Add to that the fact that I am "up" north, cottaging, and I believe you might have cause to tell me "up yours!"

Thanks for the post.

Smile
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:55 pm
interesting story....

So I mean English is one of the easiest languages to learn.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:42 pm
Up yours, Joe! Wink have fun!
Hi Thok
Is it really? I had always heard differently, because of the many words we have that sound the same or that have many meanings; like ^^^ Smile
Sadly, I am mono-lingual, (if that's a word!) unless you count pig latin and ebonics, with maybe some 60s slang!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
This type of thing is true of almost any simple preposition as this is the nature of phrasal verbs. The preposition takes on meaning that is not literal (e.g. "off" in some phrasal verbs means "away").

Every now and then a native speaker who never pays attention to the mechanics of the language gets all excited about one of these finds and writes up one of these. <shrugs>
0 Replies

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:05 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Every now and then a native speaker who never pays attention to the mechanics of the language gets all excited about one of these finds and writes up one of these. <shrugs>

Ooh, now I get it! Craven is actually my overly-critical Aunt Myrtle, haunting me from the grave! It's all so clear now. Rolling Eyes

It's called an interesting tidbit, Craven, and again, some people enjoy these sorts of things. Jinkies, did I really seem "all excited" about it? Smile I mean, I didn't get goosebumps or anything, but if you say so.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:25 pm
suzy, not talking about you, but about whomever wrote it.

Doesn't mean I'm not Aunt Myrtle though. Sounds like a fun gig.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:27 pm
Wanna write some more?

I can get us started on nearly any preposition:

off:

off sides, off hand, turn off, take off, put off, drive off, jack off, play off, f__k off, hand off, off put, send off, curse off, piss off...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 12:03 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
I had always heard differently, because of the many words we have that sound the same or that have many meanings; like ^^^

exactly, that´s the point why english is so easy... :-)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:38 am
Ha HAH! Off with ya.

Big lipstick kiss and a pinch o' the cheek for Craven and Thok.

love,

Aunt Olive.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
.... raven from the night's plutonian shore...
0 Replies

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:06 pm
Glad you get it, Tryagain! Wink
Now I'm about fed UP with this thread!
See ya! Smile
id88viper88id

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:33 pm
Hi there to all Smile First of all, this is my first post here at this site Smile

This thread is also the first I came across of when seeking for the definition of the "cure off" Phrasal Verb. I must say that reading all of these examples about "UPs" made me laugh a lot Smile

I know that this Phrasal Verb isn't the highlight of this thread but could someone, actually, explain to me the meaning of this "curse off" that I had mentioned before. I've tried to look up for the explanation of this via Google and have had no luck
spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:40 pm
@the reincarnation of suzy,
I loved it to Suze. It's "up there" as Andy Warhol used to say. But I've just come back from the pub and I'm pissed up so I'm off up to bed.

Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:41 pm
How remarkable. I just heard from Suzy yesterday, after an absence of several years.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:02 pm
@id88viper88id,
Hi viper. I've never heard the phrase "cure off" or "curse off" before, though I have heard "curse out." Is that what you mean?

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
@roger,
That is a coiincidence!

I still miss reading her, the sassy lass.