How Do You Decide?

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
Just wondering how you folks make major decisions in your life?

When faced with a major decision, what do you do?

Is there a certain process you follow?

Any resources you are aware of that help people make better decisions in their life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 12
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:32 pm
I just go with what feels right. The worst thing you can do is to do nothing - most times.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:40 pm
i use the magic eight ball, it knows everything.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:42 pm
e/m sorry about the smart a$$ answer, just wanted to keep an eye on this thread without using a bm/book mark post.........
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:46 pm
With much agony and probably rationalizations supporting a decision probably made with Nicks criteria Confused
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:57 pm
I just go and ask the first homeless guy I see.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:57 pm
Just realizing that a major decision is eminent is a giant step in the right direction. Afterward, it might be a good idea to weigh alternatives and their probable outcomes. Then go with NickFun's advice.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:15 am
I have people in my life I consider mentors I ask them for their advice with major decisions. The reason I do this is if my emotions are involved (major decisions invoke them) I might not be thinking as logically as I could be so it's a good idea to get a view point from somene who's emptions aren't doing the thinking. This works great for me.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
Do it the Luke Rhinehart way! Nothing really matters, so just roll a die and do whatever it tells you. I've never tried that on a major decision though, I'm too scared.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:04 am
It depends on what it is I am deciding. If it is making a major purchase or investment, I do research. I ask people who have experience with the item or investment, I read consumer reports or any other reliable source. I then way the pros and cons (in many cases price vs. quality) and decide from there.

I used this technique to buy a house, obtain a mortgage, choose a school and daycare, buy a car and invest money. For the most part, I have been happy or at least satisfied with these choices. I will also use gut feeling too, but to a lesser degree.

For other types of decisions, emotion/gut feel my play a larger part than the practical side. These are - getting married, having children, where to live, accepting or looking for a new job.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:01 pm
I use one of those 8 ball things.You just ask it a question and turn it upside down,and the answer just appears out of the murky liquid.

It's never let me down.
Remember the 8 ball knows all
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
Several suggestions here are pretty good I think. I wouldn't recommend the eight ball for anything important and I wouldn't recommend depending solely on my gut for making a major life decision like marriage.

Research is good if something is researchable. Research what you should know about something and then research the components until you know what you should. After that, the decision will usually be obvious.

Before forming a partnership of any kind ask questions to get answers about anything you don't know. If it turns out the National Enquiror is your prospective new business partner's primary news source and he consults fresh chicken innards before making a stock purchase, you can be pretty secure in whether this is a match. Smile

And for some things I just lay a fleece the way Gideon did in the Bible.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
Re: How Do You Decide?
extra medium wrote:
Just wondering how you folks make major decisions in your life?

When faced with a major decision, what do you do?

Is there a certain process you follow?

Any resources you are aware of that help people make better decisions in their life?

I've always told my daughter that you should listen to your heart, your inner voice to find the answers. However to do this you must be open and able to face the reality of truth.

Myself I mostly just jump in the deep water and hope for the best. However I do truly believe the answers are within us and all you need to do is have faith in yourself and really listen. Even if at the time it seems like a wrong decision there could be a reason for it.

Oh, and LEARN FROM PAST MISTAKES. Mistakes are lifes lessons, if you don't learn from them you will keep repeating them.
0 Replies