Oh rest ye, Merry Gentleman

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 02:09 pm
Just posted on Facebook by Seaglass.

Quote:
Faith Mikelsons

I would like to share Andy's last moments with you. He was in a great deal of pain toward the end and zonked out on mophine. But his last day he was a lot clearer. For those that really knew Andy knew that he wrote westerns and his favorite outlaw was Doc Holliday. I found reading to him calmed him. At the time of the start of his new journey I was reading him a book on Doc Holliday written by John Myers Myers. I glanced up at one point and his eyes were closed and his breathing had stopped.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Andy had a great sense of humor!

Now this goes back a few years but when I read it I nearly fell out of my chair.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Did anyone here actually miss me?

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Yeah, I missed you. But since I broke my glasses, my aim's been off. Gotta get that rear sight fixed, too.

In this thread
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 08:52 am
Andy, it seemed to me, was as happy to be a good audience for your story
as he was to have you be one for his. A rare thing.

Requiescat in pace
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 03:02 pm
I felt a fondness for Andy before ever reading one of his posts--I just knew I was going to like the kind of person who would choose Merry Andrew as his user name--and I was quite right about that. I always liked Andy, right from the start, and I respected and admired him and greatly enjoyed his company in these forums. He was a gentleman--a true class act--with intelligence, warmth, and humor, and with a genuine appreciation for his blessings in life and for the beauty we can find around us.

I already miss him greatly.

I've always liked the New Orleans style funerals, where a band playing upbeat music, like jazz or ragtime, helps to celebrate the life of the one who has departed, and that's the sort of send off I'd like to give Andy. So, in celebration of his life, here's a most appropriately named little ragtime ditty by George Gershwin.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 08:36 pm
Great tribute, jespah!

I am also glad that I had a chance to meet him and Faith - along with some other a2k people in San Francisco. He was a class act and a very kind person, one of the old school gentleman you don't find as readily today. Humble was his middle name, yet he was up in the high ranks of intellect and achievement.
He'll be sorely missed!
----

Glitterbag: Faith said that the flowers you sent Andy were just lovely and Andy was very thrilled to have received them. They both were in awe of your generous gesture.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 09:20 pm
@jespah,
Oh damn he finally passed away, RIP Merry Andrew !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 10:46 pm
@jespah,
Jespah, Thank you for sharing this information about Andy.
We spent some time together when he was in California, and we were able to visit Santa Cruz, Sausalito, and San Francisco together. We also spent time together when we visited Hawaii some years ago. He was indeed a Merry Gentleman, and was sorry to hear about his passing. Tak
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 04:04 pm
Remembering Andy on what would have been his 77th birthday.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 04:30 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for remembering it.
Missing Andy..
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 05:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Andy came up with the best captions for the cartoons. A while back a cartoon showed a hospital patient floating about 3 ft about a scale feet pointing toward the floor. It also had a figure dressed like a doctor holding a chart standing behind the patient. The cation was simply "Christ, what an asshole". He always made me laugh, and he was a great audience for others jokes. What a guy, our own Merry/Andy.
vonny

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 02:54 pm
@glitterbag,
Such a lovely person - made me feel welcome on the games threads from day one! Great sense of humour, and so very kind. A truly gentle man in every sense of the word. I miss him too.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:04 pm
@vonny,
He was a lot of fun on the game threads, you never knew what he might come up with.
0 Replies