hjaalp

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 06:22 pm
I'm eighteen-year-old girl and have lately found passion for soccer. I played couple years when I was younger (like 5-6), but haven't really played since. Though I haven't played soccer I've been very active in other sports and I'm in good shape. I'm also very quick learner in general. Do you think it would be possible for me to be successful soccer player if I started playing now? Would hard work and passion make up the missed junior years? Or am I really too old to even consider starting? What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 06:25 pm
@hjaalp,
What is your ultimate goal? Are you seeking a spot as a world-class professional? Or do you just want to be a very good soccer player and have fun?
hjaalp

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 02:06 am
@Ragman,
I live in Finland and I'd like to play professionally in some club here. Obviously it would be cool to be in national team too.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 03:37 am
@hjaalp,
If you live in Finland, then I would say that writing to the Finland FOOTBALL Association is the way to go, telling them all that you've told us here.

They would be able to guide you regarding your nearest Women's Football Club, and maybe answer any questions you have regarding age, professional status etc.

Finland is part of UEFA, the Union of European FOOTBALL Associations.

Soccer is what they call it in the Americas.

Good luck!

Finland FA Wiki Details.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Association_of_Finland
hjaalp

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:21 am
@Lordyaswas,
Okay, I called it soccer cause was afraid that you would understand it as a American football. Thank you!
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:46 am
@hjaalp,
I can see your dilemma, but American football should ALWAYS have American included, so that we all know it is the sort of football where the foot is barely used, if ever.

Plain old football is what it says on the tin. A game played overwhelmingly using the foot.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 08:33 am
@Lordyaswas,
American football can be referred to as gridiron football. Soccer can be referred to as futbol and many people in the States would know you mean soccer.

Quote:
we all know it is the sort of football where the foot is barely used, if ever.

That'd be incorrect. In gridiron football, the foot is used often and at essential times. Kicking field goals, kicking the point after (a touchdown), at the kickoff at the beginning of possession, and a few others incidences (squib kick or offside kick).
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 08:42 am
@Ragman,
So if football is, say, 90% played with the feet, what percentage would you say for Gridiron Football?

I just thought they kicked it once or twice in each quarter.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Oh, I'd guess about 25% of the scoring...give-or-take 10% of game time. There are special teams involved with offense and defense of the kicking game so whole strategies are built around it in coaching function.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
There has ever been a Gridiron Football player who didn't have feet. I think the game would be impossible to play without them.

I would say 100% of the game is played with feet.

The term football refers to the fact that it is not played on horseback (a player on horseback would, in fact, not need to use their feet).

0 Replies