Osama to be captured during Democratic Convention?

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:09 am
According to unnamed Pakistani intelligence officers, thats pretty much the Bush administration's current plan ...

This from The New Republic, which is claiming a bit of a scoop: the Bush government is pushing Pakistan to deliver either Osama bin Laden or another "HVT" (High-Value Target) - before the elections. And preferably, during the Democratic convention.

Excerpted:
Quote:
PAKISTAN FOR BUSH: July Surprise

[..] The New Republic has learned that Pakistani security officials have been told they must produce HVTs by the election. According to one source in Pakistan's powerful Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), "The Pakistani government is really desperate and wants to flush out bin Laden and his associates after the latest pressures from the U.S. administration to deliver before the [upcoming] U.S. elections." Introducing target dates for Al Qaeda captures is a new twist in U.S.-Pakistani counterterrorism relations--according to a recently departed intelligence official, "no timetable[s]" were discussed in 2002 or 2003--but the November election is apparently bringing a new deadline pressure to the hunt. Another official, this one from the Pakistani Interior Ministry, which is responsible for internal security, explains, "The Musharraf government has a history of rescuing the Bush administration. They now want Musharraf to bail them out when they are facing hard times in the coming elections." (These sources insisted on remaining anonymous. Under Pakistan's Official Secrets Act, an official leaking information to the press can be imprisoned for up to ten years.)

A third source, an official who works under ISI's director, Lieutenant General Ehsan ul-Haq, informed tnr that the Pakistanis "have been told at every level that apprehension or killing of HVTs before [the] election is [an] absolute must." What's more, this source claims that Bush administration officials have told their Pakistani counterparts they have a date in mind for announcing this achievement: "The last ten days of July deadline has been given repeatedly by visitors to Islamabad and during [ul-Haq's] meetings in Washington." Says McCormack: "I'm aware of no such comment." But according to this ISI official, a White House aide told ul-Haq last spring that "it would be best if the arrest or killing of [any] HVT were announced on twenty-six, twenty-seven, or twenty-eight July"--the first three days of the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

[..] Powell conspicuously did not commit the United States to selling F-16s to Pakistan, which it desperately wants in order to tilt the regional balance of power against India. And the Pakistanis fear that, if they don't produce an HVT, they won't get the planes. Equally, they fear that, if they don't deliver, either Bush or a prospective Kerry administration would turn its attention to the apparent role of Pakistan's security establishment in facilitating Khan's illicit proliferation network. One Pakistani general recently in Washington confided in a journalist, "If we don't find these guys by the election, they are going to stick this whole nuclear mess up our ****."

Click the headline for the full article.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 16
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:22 am
Just think, Osama will be captured, the Republicans will be heros, the Democrats will fail, and Bush will win the election by a landslide! Traditional American Values will be restored as people flock to their local Walmart and make purchases! The economy is saved, jobs are created and everyone in American is happy and rich as Bush goes down in history as the best President ever!!

This story should start with, "Once upon a time..."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:25 am
"...on a planet far, far away..."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
Every since I heard they had his general location down this year I've been mulling a timed Osama delivery for the elections.

I'm alternating between thinking it would be too damn obvious to brilliance.

I've decided to wait and see, and have kept my conspiracy theories to myself (till now).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm
Next, they'll be planning of discovering stockpiles of nerve gas in time for the elections. If they do, someone PM me with a link to this thread and I'll apologize for being so skeptical.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
You get the leaders you deserve.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
Wag the devil?
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:29 pm
Well, if they don't come up with bin Laden in Sept. or Oct. 2004, they will most certainly find some kind of chemical warfare or nuclear substance in Iraq...easy to carry in from anywhere.

Mr. DeMille pack up your cameras for location, it's time for the close-ups.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:39 pm
Here's m'short-lived thread on the same subject from Thursday...

July Surprise?
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:51 pm
I heard from an army officer who went to Afghanistan, that they knew exactly where Bin Laden was, and they were waiting for the right moment to catch him for the election.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:10 pm
Really? If this is so, then a fair number of people must know and the info will come out at some point.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:46 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You get the leaders you deserve.....

Well, thats not saying much for the people of our country...
If GWB makes it in again, then it will prove we are a nation of sleep walkers...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:27 pm
Update on the story:

Quote:
Editor's Note: This afternoon, Pakistan's interior minister, Faisal Saleh Hayyat, announced that Pakistani forces had captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian Al Qaeda operative wanted in connection with the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. The timing of this announcement should be of particular interest to readers of The New Republic. Earlier this month, John B. Judis, Spencer Ackerman, and Massoud Ansari broke the story of how the Bush administration was pressuring Pakistani officials to apprehend high-value targets (HVTs) in time for the November elections--and in particular, to coincide with the Democratic National Convention. Although the capture took place in central Pakistan "a few days back," the announcement came just hours before John Kerry will give his acceptance speech in Boston.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:03 pm
Capturing Bin Laden won't help. Bush is beyond saving.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:12 pm
Bill Maher thinks he'll be paraded into the Rep Convention in chains.

Timing is everything, and somehow I think the Osama moment might have already passed. I mean, capturing him now might just be so obviously political as to not really have the desired effect.

Besides, is he really still the top guy ? Will his capture actually translate into any real safety difference ?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
angie wrote:
Bill Maher thinks he'll be paraded into the Rep Convention in chains.

Now that would be showmanship worthy of Max O'Hara! Very Happy

Timing is everything, and somehow I think the Osama moment might have already passed. I mean, capturing him now might just be so obviously political as to not really have the desired effect.

The Osama Moment hasn't passed. If it should come before the election watch Bush climb in the polls.

Besides, is he really still the top guy ? Will his capture actually translate into any real safety difference ?

Perhaps to less of a degree than many would hope, but there will be a psychological impact on his followers. Besides, justice will be served and that's always a good thing.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:25 am
Re: Osama to be captured during Democratic Convention?
nimh wrote:
According to unnamed Pakistani intelligence officers, thats pretty much the Bush administration's current plan ...

This from The New Republic, which is claiming a bit of a scoop: the Bush government is pushing Pakistan to deliver either Osama bin Laden or another "HVT" (High-Value Target) - before the elections. And preferably, during the Democratic convention.

That´s policy. capture the terror boss and suddenly reelected...
0 Replies