What is this beetle?

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 02:39 pm
Found in Oregon, beautiful little red beast. What could it be?
http://i.imgur.com/7EPPmfl.png
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,330 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 04:19 pm
@hossnerry,
looks a lot like a cochineal beetle where someone has photoshopped a wreath on its back
hossnerry

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks farmerman! Cochineals are endemic to Central/South America, though; this one was cell phone snapped today by my brother-in-law in northwestern Oregon. His attempts at ID have come back with perhaps an immature member of the Pentatomidae (shield/stink bug) family.. Anybody else that can confirm or suggest another alternative?

Here is a shot of a stink bug nymph via Google Images: https://lh4.ggpht.com/7xsUs6w929RItruVBiXvWpUH05yV1zFPcYTPawR56NhDktAUi9qOuEyi18Y4U3hcwkQM76Orbcn7DD256ivE=s580
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 09:23 pm
@hossnerry,
a type of stink bug eh? Im used to the marmorated but the other species look mmore colorful.
Cochineal is raised by specialty natural dye outfits anywhere its temperate. We even have Amish dye works here in PA that have beetle works and dye farms.

The active ingredient in a stink bug is a type of butyl alcohol. So e get em here in Pa and theyve become a real ag pest. If I catch one in the house Ill throw it in the fireplace in the winter and they kind of send a flash from the alcohol burning.
Stinkbugs =renewable energy? dont laugh.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 09:59 pm
@farmerman,
We have those in New Mexico, but to the south of here. This kind won't take much of a freeze. Ours are tiny, and live under the weblike things they spread around on their prickly pears. I knew the name cochineal sounded familiar, but didn't make the connection till you mentioned dye.
0 Replies