What does " infinite temporal duration" mean?

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:08 am
" infinite temporal duration" seems to be as same as "timelessness". Would you like to explain the nuance?

Context:

"Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present. Our life has no end in the way in which our visual field has no limits."

— Wittgenstein, Tractatus, 6.431
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,715 • Replies: 13
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 12:32 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, isn't "temporal duration" redundant
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
isn't "temporal duration" redundant

It might seem to be, but it is a phrase often used in fields like philosophy, the psychology and neurology of perception etc. Also note that although fluent in English, Wittgenstein was Austrian and his first language was German. He was a stickler for exactness and precision in language.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:37 pm
@oristarA,
Wittgenstein seems to be saying that if something is of infinite temporal duration it lasts an infinitely long length of time, that is a non-zero, infinitely extended length of time, whereas something that is timeless is independent of time and has no perceived duration because it is not perceived. As he said, "death is not lived through".
oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 04:07 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Ori, isn't "temporal duration" redundant

Wittgenstein was a big shot in the field of philosophy. So there could be some nuance there, not redundancy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 04:13 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Wittgenstein seems to be saying that if something is of infinite temporal duration it lasts an infinitely long length of time, that is a non-zero, infinitely extended length of time, whereas something that is timeless is independent of time and has no perceived duration because it is not perceived. As he said, "death is not lived through".

Cool.
But I didn't get "death is not lived through" well.
For example, we often say "we have lived through successes and failures", but "death is not lived through"? Does it mean"we never experience death"(at most we experienced near death, but not death itself"?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 10:05 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness,...

— Wittgenstein, Tractatus, 6.431

Taken to mean the second definition, "eternity" does not involve time. Time is irrelevant to "eternity" by this definition.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 12:46 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
but "death is not lived through"? Does it mean"we never experience death"(at most we experienced near death, but not death itself"?

Since death, except for the religious, involves the end of consciousness, death itself cannot be experienced.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 01:07 pm
@oristarA,
Infinite Temporal Duration.

example
"Yesterday was Yesterday forever. It will always be yesterday"

"I was in yesterday.
and although I am not in yesterday now.
I will forever have been in yesterday."
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 03:51 pm
More utter crap from GoDie. The troll.
Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 05:41 pm

It means forever.
oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 06:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It means forever.

But timelessness also means that. Simply repeating the same meaning leads to nowhere.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 07:12 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
What are you talking about? Obnoxiously bashing my contribution. "Infinite Temporal Duration" is exactly what I said it was.

Infinite temporal Duration is the Immortalization of something through Ideology or Commemoration. Just as I had explained.

Is Tes yeux noirs known for being a troll around here? Trolls often call other people trolls because they cannot comprehend them instead of just saying that they don't know what you are talking about, or just keeping their mouth shut.

(It is trolling to act Offensive when you are in fact ignorant concerning the content of your accusations [not understanding the context]- Or to act offensive when you are admittedly not ignorant yet are acting as though you are [disregarding the context]. )

I am a Fan of Ludwig Wittgenstein <3 the Seven Laws of Philosophy are brilliantly demonstrated in category. "The seven law of philosophy: You cannot determine conclusions about things that are where you are not. (*space. theoretical physics. foreign government. Personal grief. weather.)"
oristarA

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 07:51 pm
@GorDie,
I did know one thing: Tes yeux noirs is a good English teacher in this forum. Wink
0 Replies