Bernie the Jew. WWJD?

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:00 am
I've been floating on a cloud of out-of-control happiness, watching grassroots momentum build up around Bernie, trying not to wonder if these new excited fans know that Bernie's Jewish - and really trying to block out of my mind if that would be a negative in their eyes.

I've had a couple of exhale-inducing revelations (millennials that don't give a **** and blacks that feel a kinship with Jews due to a similarly horrific history), but I can also see Hillary proxies in news and on social media trying to paint Bernie as an Israel apologist. Israel is decidedly unpopular these days...

Any articles or opinions you have on this subject would be appreciated here. Smile

revelette2

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:44 am
In 1988, Bernie Sanders Condemned Israeli Attacks On Palestinians As “Reprehensible”

Quote:
Last summer, during the fighting between Israel and Gaza, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) was confronted by an angry town hall that objected to Senate votes supporting Israel. Sanders insisted that he did not put his name on the pro-Israel resolution in question, but did offer qualified support to Israeli self-defense, while accusing the country of going too far in bombing UN facilities.

This incident has created a rift between some progressives and Sanders, who is widely viewed as the most progressive member of the Senate. Many have questioned whether he can truly stand up for progressive values against a country that appears dead-set on maintaining an indefinite disenfranchisement of Palestinians. Scholar Cornel West has raised the Palestinian issue as one reason he is hesitant to endorse Sanders.

Yet what many may not know is that Sanders was once a strong critic of the Israeli policies towards Palestinians – going further than any major presidential candidate ever has in terms of excoriating that country's policies.

In 1988, Sanders was an independent mayor of Burlington, Vermont, and running for the U.S. Congress; he took the unusual step of deciding to rally his supporters in favor of Jesse Jackson's Democratic primary campaign. Sanders had never participated in any Democratic Party activity before, so he was inundated with questions about his support for Jackson at a press event.

At this very same event on March 10th, 1988, Sanders was asked about Jackson's support for the Palestinians – Al Gore had just attacked him on the issue for the first time. Jackson was explicitly calling for a Palestinian state, thirteen years before President Bill Clinton became the first U.S. President to do the same in his last year in office. This was controversial in quarters of the Democratic Party, where some pro-Israel factions were totally opposed to the idea of Palestinian sovereignty.

For Sanders, Jackson's position was no problem. “Gore is finished in my opinion, I think this is a desperate cheap shot at him,” Sanders said of Gore's criticism. “In terms of the Middle East, I am comfortable with Jackson's position.” He then went on to say that Jackson is the right person to bring the parties together.

Reporters, their interests clearly piqued, decided to follow up with Sanders about his views on the conflict. One asked him about the deaths occurring in the Intifada. “The sight of Israeli soldiers breaking the arms and legs of Arabs is reprehensible. The idea of Israel closing down towns and sealing them off is unacceptable.”

He also offered criticism of extremist rhetoric in Arab countries that were calling for the destruction of Israel, which is fairly boilerplate for American politicians. But it got more interesting when reporters asked Sanders what concrete steps the United States should take.

“The United States of America is pouring billions of dollars into arms and into other types of aid in the Middle East. Has the United States of America used its clout, the tremendous clout that it has by providing all kinds of aid to the Middle East, to demand that these countries sit down and talk about a reasonable settlement which will guarantee Israel's sovereignty, which must be guaranteed, but will begin to deal with the rights of Palestinian refugees,” said Sanders.

A follow-up question asked Sanders if he was calling for sanctions. He said he wasn't, but did say that “you have the ability when you are the United States of America, which is supporting the armies of the Middle East, to demand that these people sit down and support a reasonable settlement.”

“Or else what?” asked another reporter.

“Or else you cut off arms,” suggested Sanders. “If the United States goes into the Middle East and demands a reasonable, a responsible, and a peaceful solution to the conflict that has gone there because of its clout because of the tremendous amounts of money that it is pouring into that region I think we can do it.”

Another questioner asked why there isn't more criticism of Israel in Washington. “It is an absolute disgrace. It goes without saying. Soldiers of any nation especially an occupying power are not allowed under any moral code to break the arms and legs of people. That is absolutely unacceptable period. And that sort of behavior must be condemned,” he replied, noting that antisemitic rhetoric was just as unacceptable.

Seems very fair and balanced on the whole Middle East crises.
Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 12:22 pm
@revelette2,
Hope this floats. Thanks. He had some votes early on that are being dragged through the media as anti-Pal and heartless, and he gets heat from those testing his "loyalty" no matter how he votes.

I saw a really nasty town hall meeting on video where he was heckled - even though he'd voted for fairness, they challenged him as to why he didn't go further for Palestine...

Anyway, thanks for this article!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 12:26 pm
Here is a view.

Outrage against any positive talk for Israel is sort of crazy. Heckling makes everybody looks bad. Seems like Jew hate to me.

https://youtu.be/-xZqBXzYz4U
Foofie

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 03:19 pm
@Lash,
More than one Jewish person would not want a Jewish President. Why you wonder? Because there are enough anti-Semites in the country, and Judeophobics (what are Jews up to?), that ANYTHING a Jewish President does, that's not good for all Gentile demographics, can easily raise the level of anti-Semitism in the good 'ole USA. So, I wish the Democrats can find a Progressive that's not Jewish to put in a Presidential race.

And, if you don't think that a candidate's religion isn't cause for concern, look back to JFK. He had to make anti-Catholics rest easy that he wasn't a Papal puppet, as I remember. And, isn't it odd that in the 50+ years, since his death, there hasn't been another Catholic President? If the country might not have been ready for a second Catholic President, can one really say today, "Let's have a nice Jewish President?"

Many Jews are aware of Disraeli in Britain or the Lord Mayor of Dublin for more than one term . One might be giving the voting masses, in different regions, more credit than they might deserve. Being the President of the U.S. is not like a nice movie like Driving Miss Daisy.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:08 am
Quote:
“Or else you cut off arms,” suggested Sanders.
That just got him out of the race . Being tough with Israel may work after an election, but not before .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:55 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Seems like Jew hate to me.

Because he was heckled? How do you figure?

Obama was heckled recently about his immigration policy. Was the heckler being racist?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 10:27 am
@InfraBlue,
great question.

________

Hillary was heckled recently. Is that automatically considered sexism?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 12:18 pm
@ehBeth,
It often is treated that way when the recipient is a member of a "protected" class.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 12:31 pm
@Lash,
Ideally, religion should not matter in this day and age and frankly I don't care as long as the candidate is sound of mind and makes sense.

I'd be afraid of a candidate who is foremost religious and takes the bible or whatever doctrine he/she prefers for face value and dictate the rest of us to do the same, like tea baggers do.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
The inclination to dictate how others should behave appears to me to be even more intense on the opposite side of the political and social spectrum ... and they are in power.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 02:05 pm
@georgeob1,
You're referring to Obamacare, George?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 02:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
That and many other things, ranging from the regulation of commerce, energy production, socal behavior and non government organizations whose objectives the ruling political party doesn't favor. None of these things are very new, nor are they unique to the political left. However they have become far more pervasive and intrusive than what preceeded them.
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
Because Bernie had voted the way the crowd thought he should. Further gang-type heckling about "what more he should do" and a violent trill from the crowd when he stated basic indisputable facts ("the leaders of the PLO have called for the destruction of Israel") seemed like they were breathlessly waiting for these expected sound-bite remarks to attack. It seemed like a pack of jackals with a pre-set agenda. I wanted to slap those old ladies silly.

He was innocent and was treated guilty.

I hope his religion won't be unfairly used against him.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:46 pm
@Lash,
I have no idea what his personal religion is, haven't read up. My first serious lover (no, not even a non serious one before that) was a jewish atheist with views not unlike Bernie's though not quite so rambunctious, this being in 1963. I was your usual moving toward ex catholicism person at the time.

I almost presume Bernie can't get elected, but maybe there are more grownups in the US than I usually surmise. His viewpoints are useful, whether he gets elected or not.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:57 pm
@georgeob1,
Well George, being a woman, I feel the regulations from the Republican side.
Most of them have religious views they're trying to implement into politics like trying to legally force us (women) to make decisions over our reproductive organs that infringe on our personal rights. Talking about intrusive.
Dto. for equality on just about every level.

Energy production is no longer an issue for private corporations only, it has become a global matter and as such it needs regulations and restrictions.

I am not sure what you're referring to by "social behavior" - can you elaborate?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 07:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Why don't you begin by explaining just why energy production is a global matter requiring local regulation by those who appoint themselves the judges of us all. Perhaps that's too hard. Why not instead explain the public benefits that accrue from 35% subsidies on operating expenses for wind power and forcing public utilities to buy it from the producers at premium prices even when they don't need it. That may also be a bit hard. You could even start with the environmental and economic benefits of subidies for corn based ethanol producers.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 07:57 pm
@georgeob1,
I've often wondered if the pollution reduction of ethanol exceeds the CO2 produced in the fermentation of corn.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 10:18 pm
@georgeob1,
You are of course referring to congress. Right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 03:20 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I almost presume Bernie can't get elected...

I don't "almost" presume it, Ossobuco...I presume it.

So does almost everyone who is being realistic about the political climate of the United States right now. The US is simply NOT ready for someone perceived to be of the far left!

Quote:
...but maybe there are more grownups in the US than I usually surmise.

I sure hope there are...and I actually expect that there are within the Dem Party. Which means that Bernie Sanders will not get anywhere near the top of the Dem presidential ticket for November 2016.

Quote:
His viewpoints are useful, whether he gets elected or not.

His viewpoints are not only useful...they are extremely useful...and spot on. It is to our great shame that we are not ready to transition to a left leaning political and social positions he champions.

BUT WE ARE NOT...and pretending we are and losing this important office at this time is a recipe for insuring that we will never be.

The move toward sanity (the move leftward) will only be done peacefully if done incrementally...rather than in a jarring move like having someone like Sanders or Warren leading the ticket. That is an almost certain losing strategy.

Everyone who supports a progressive agenda has to learn to deal with that...rather than allow wishes and dreams to screw things up.