dna

gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:55 am
can dna from natural food (non-gmo) be absorbed in the bloodstream what if we do a pcr? will there be same results i was between 9 months to two years old someone had feeded me so i thought that what if his dna has been eaten by me and i have absorbed it?then if i do a pcr will the result be same
(i read an article about GMO that dna from food can be absorbed in your bloodstream and can be transferred to cells and tissues ) pls give detailed answers

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 04:51 am
@gogeta,
It's not detailed sorry but I hope this helps.

Your body has a defense mechanism to DNA absorption to silence the foreign DNA during breakdown. Food you normally eat, your body has been exposed to already and will not change . Your body only breaks down certain parts of your food to sustain you as it has since before you were born. The same chemicals that were in your blood stream before are still in you now. Anything else is unwanted and your body is trying to expel it in any way possible.

Hopefully this is in the ballpark of what you were looking for.
0 Replies

gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 05:59 am
@gogeta,
what about the pcr part
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 06:42 am
@gogeta,
Im pretty sure it should be the same after a polymerase chain reaction because you only absorb the chemicals your body will accept and you got your DNA from your mother and father. That will not change.
gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 06:51 am
@jowldani,
sorry to ask this but are u really sure and it will not change or add any dna(even of the size of a gene)?? also can u tell me where did u get this answer
thanks and sorry!!!
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:08 am
@gogeta,
How to Interpret Family History & Ancestry DNA Test Results for Beginners explains a lot. I also read this-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535226/
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:08 am
@gogeta,
Yes, I am sure that you are not at risk. You don't absorb DNA from the food you eat.

If you did, then people who eat chickens would start to grow feathers, and people who eat kale would produce chlorophyll, turn green and start photosynthesizing. You eat DNA all of the time (no matter what you eat). There is zero risk.
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:13 am
@gogeta,
I may have misunderstood the question if i didnt give you the answer you were looking for but hopefully the examples in my previous post will help. Good luck!
gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:26 am
@maxdancona,
i mean not even other peoples genes??? also if it is digested to the gene extent and still will it not add dna to my bloodstream or cells or tissues??
gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:39 am
@jowldani,
Thanks for everything!!!
0 Replies

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:43 am
@gogeta,
No problem. Hopefully the article and book helped.
0 Replies

gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:43 am
@jowldani,
sry but can u explain the "you only absorb the chemicals your body will accept" part??
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:22 am
@gogeta,
Everything you eat has gene's (i.e. dna) in it (with the exception of table salt). Every piece of meat has genes in it. Every vegetable you eat has genes in it.

I assume you have eaten a carrot. Did you add carrot dna to your cells or tissues?

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:38 am
@gogeta,
If your body doesnt need it it expells it, or tries to. Some things it cant expell such as a violent virus. What you get from food that your body accepts only influences your DNA. It could be positive or negative. It does not bond with your DNA. Other DNA such as viruses can exist in your blood but will not become part of your own DNA.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 11:24 am
@jowldani,
I did hear of a guy who got bit by a spider... took on the spider's dna and got the ability to shoot out webs from his wrist.

But I am pretty sure that only happened because it was a radioactive spider.
gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:06 pm
@maxdancona,
gene is a part of dna correct it is not mandatory that every part of dna absorbed is a gene!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:54 pm
@gogeta,
(Actually, you have that backwards. DNA is part of a gene.)

The point I am making is that every food you eat.. from organic salad to chicken McNuggets... has both DNA and genes in it.

If you are afraid that eating DNA will mess up your own DNA... then you are going to half to stop eating anything. But clearly... since there are billions of humans who have been eating food for tens of thousands of years without this happening.. I don't think this is a risk.

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Nice spidey reference!
0 Replies

gogeta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:00 pm
@maxdancona,
A gene is a segment of DNA that is passed down from parents to children and confers a trait to the offspring
0 Replies