How will you celebrate, USA?

George

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:18 pm
With pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations?

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 01:23 pm
@George,
Ill be cutting some fields and spraying thistle in a fallow pasture. Then we have a BBQ to attend on Sunday nd Ive gotta go bck to the gas fields on SUN PM.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 02:52 pm
Picking a lot of cherry tomatoes that should be perfectly ripe this weekend.

Also picking a lot of plums that are so ripe they are raining down on my car like colorful bird droppings.

Other than that, staying away from crowds. I do not like being around rowdy holiday crowds for celebrating, shopping or anything else. Never have and never will.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 03:44 pm
I am spending the day at Buckingham Palace with a legal team, finding out for Her Majesty whether the American claim of independence is in fact a legal one.

Apparently there is an appeal that is being explored on some sort of technical grounds.

Hanging Chads, whatever they are.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Chad is American. You can just forget about hanging him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:26 pm
It's supposed to be cooler, if you believe my weather station. A day to fit in baking some bread. Probably I'll have some icy cold assam tea.

I'm sure I've remarked on all this re the 4th before -
I'm similar to Butrflynet re revelling crowds and I am also freaked by fireworks for good reasons; the place next door to our studio (that would be 18" apart) was hit by a rocket gismo shot off from a boat on Humboldt Bay and it and our building caught fire at something like 1 a.m. Much trouble ensued. Also, I'm night blind, and had a hell of a time walking down Ocean Front Walk in Santa Monica on a July 4th night once, even with my husband to guide me. It seemed like a war zone that I couldn't fully see. Of course it wasn't a war zone, but I have to stay away from that ****. I don't know how war vets who have been under fire can handle that. Maybe it's OK, as it's just play and celebration, but I figure some don't like it. People have been blinded there or near by, which I read later.

My present neighborhood doesn't go bang bang, and I'm happy for that.

Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I had a good friend with PTSD from being in Nam during army days, it isn't pretty. It isn't his favorite time of the year.

As for me, I can take it or leave it. like tnhe visuals. My previous dog was a thunder and loud sound phobic critter (Border Collie). I lost the love of those crowds and boom-boom more than a decade ago. I still like viewing from afar.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:41 pm
@Ragman,
my uncle Yankee (John) was a bomber pilot in WWII. He flew a B-17 and completed the required missions. He couldnt stand guns or fireworks fireworks and tried to stay inside listening to records on july 4.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
I figure you'd go fishing on 4th of July...can't picture you with a USA flag in one hand and a beer in the other. Maybe I have very poor imagination... Mr. Green
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I have to do some of te heavy work on the farm and weve had nothing but rain and more rain so I cant cut fields unless I want mushy hay

I would love to go fishing. I do drink St Pauli Girl NA as a suitble beer substitute, and once in a while Ill drink a Woodchuck Hard cider as a treat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:26 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah, Katy dog barked and leapt and ran and leapt and barked at thunderboomers. She wanted them to go away fast or faster. Since we had no fireworks in this neighborhood, I didn't see her deal with them, but I'll bet she didn't approve during other times in her life before her being with me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:31 pm
I never realised Alice In wonderland was so big over there.

Quote:
July 4, 1862 is also known to many as Alice in Wonderland Day, the day that commemorates Lewis Carroll's first telling of the famous children's story to his young inspiration, Alice Liddell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/c-m-rubin/alice-in-wonderland-july-4_b_886446.html

I don't think you can all make it to Oxford though.

Quote:
Alice’s Day is a yearly celebration of Alice In Wonderland. It is co-ordinated by The Story Museum with more than 20 partner venues across Oxford (including The Bodleian, Ashmolean, Museum of Natural History & Pitt Rivers, Botanic Garden and many more). Free events to transform Oxford into Wonderland for one magical day.
Alice’s Day 2015 is on Saturday 4 July

http://www.storymuseum.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/alices-day/<br />
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:36 pm
We will be at a Garth Brooks concert the night of the third. Won't be home until about 3:30 AM. I doubt that I will feel up to doing much for the holiday.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm envious. I love me some Garth Brooks music.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
I wouldn't be there, except my daughter provided the tickets.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 07:54 am

Camping with friends and family at an event that will go unnamed. Lots of big guns, lots of big fireworks, and lots of alcohol. (I almost blew myself up at this event when I was a kid, many many years back.)

I hear something about an elevated terrorist threat. We'll be ready for the terrorists if they come our way.

Shutting down the computer now. Almost packed and will leave in an hour or two. Will be back sometime next week.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 08:08 am
@George,
That is a quote from John Adams, I think, to his wife speculating on how July 2nd would be celebrated forever in America.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:27 am

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 11:18 am
We’re in Miami visiting Grandma. OMG is it hot! 90 degrees and the humidity is unbearable. The kids don’t even want to go outside.

We’re going to have steaks on the grill with baked potatoes then later this evening go watch the fireworks.

It’s supposed to drop to about 80 tonight.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:02 am
@jcboy,
we got 2 fields baled and in the barn before it rained. Another 2 fields are going to have to sit till it dries again (Thats not great for the hay but , thats farming.
We have a BBQ today and Im helping with the pit. Itlls be ribs n corn on the cob (freshest corn is just coming in and its a creamy white early variety)

Were celebrating a neighbor who beat cancer, with a big bash featuring some of the most carcinogenic foods out there. We will NOT be afraid of our food.
0 Replies