Gay marriage: TX Attorney General advises clerks they can refuse marriage lic. on religious grounds

parados

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 03:10 pm
@Debra Law,
It certainly seems to be a confusing statement by Paxton.

Quote:
County clerks· and their employees possess constitutional and statutory rights protecting their freedom of religion. 3 And employees possess rights under state and federal law to be free from employment discrimination on the basis of religion.4

I doubt that protection from discrimination for an employee allows them to keep a job if they refuse to do the job because of religious objections.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 04:18 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra, you must know I'm so happy to see you post - you are smart, articulate, use consideration.

It's a not hidden secret that jcboy is a strong fan of yours. He's pretty smart too.

Ok, that's enough gushiness for today.
Debra Law

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 04:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you!

My nephew and his fiancée rang my doorbell a little while ago and asked me to take their 8-month-old baby boy so they could go fishing. Of course! I recently cleaned out my spare bedroom and turned it into a playroom to accommodate my increasing supply of toys. But my bundle of joy wanted a bottle and fell right to sleep. So I am anxiously awaiting for him to wake from his late afternoon nap so we can play. In the meantime, I am looking up cases cited in the Texas AG opinion. I have to occupy my mind somehow! Smile
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 04:57 pm
Brady v. Dean, 790 A.2d 428 (Vt. 2001)

Quote:
The town clerks raised a different challenge to the civil unions law, asserting that their obligation under the law to issue a civil union license, or to appoint an assistant to do so, violates their sincerely held religious beliefs under Article 3 of the Vermont Constitution. The parties dispute, at the threshold, the standard to be applied in evaluating this claim. Plaintiffs note that we have traditionally applied a balancing test drawn from a long line of United States Supreme Court decisions, which asks whether an interference with a sincerely held religious belief serves a compelling governmental interest and is narrowly tailored to serve that interest. See Lyng v. Northwest Indian Cemetery Protective Ass'n, 485 U.S. 439, 447, 108 S.Ct. 1319, 99 L.Ed.2d 534 (1988); State v. DeLaBruere, 154 Vt. 237, 249, 577 A.2d 254, 261 (1990). Defendants urge that we apply the modified test adopted by the United States Supreme Court in Employment Division, Department of Human Resources v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872, 879, 110 S.Ct. 1595, 108 L.Ed.2d 876 (1990), under which a law that is neutral and of general applicability need not be justified by a compelling governmental interest even if the law has the incidental effect of burdening a particular religious practice.

We need not resolve this particular issue. For even under the more stringent pre-Smith test urged by plaintiffs, "we must first make the threshold determination of whether [the law] substantially burdens [their] sincerely held beliefs." Hunt *434• v. Hunt, 162 Vt. 423, 432, 648 A.2d 843, 850 (1994); see also Hernandez v. Comm'r of I.R.S., 490 U.S. 680, 699, 109 S.Ct. 2136, 104 L.Ed.2d 766 (1989) (to trigger analysis of state's justification of law, interference with free exercise must at least rise to level of "substantial burden"). An accommodation of plaintiffs' beliefs is not required if the burden on religion is not considered substantial. See, e.g., Jimmy Swaggart Ministries v. Bd. of Equalization, 493 U.S. 378, 384-92, 110 S.Ct. 688, 107 L.Ed.2d 796 (1990); Hernandez, 490 U.S. at 699, 109 S.Ct. 2136; see also L. Tribe, American Constitutional Law § 14-12, at 1248 (2d ed.1988) ("sincerity and centrality do not always suffice to meet a claimant's required showing; the claimant must also demonstrate a significant burden"). We believe that plaintiffs in this case have failed to make this threshold showing.

In deciding this issue, we accept for purposes of analysis the highly questionable proposition that a public official — here a town clerk — can retain public office while refusing to perform a generally applicable duty of that office on religious grounds. We observe, however, that this proposition — which means that the personal religious beliefs of a public officer may in some circumstances trump the public's right to have that officer's duties performed — is neither self-evident nor supported by any of the cases cited by plaintiffs.

We also accept at face value plaintiffs' allegation that the act of issuing a civil union license, or even of appointing a substitute for that purpose, offends their sincerely held religious beliefs. See Thomas v. Review Bd., Ind. Empl. Sec. Div., 450 U.S. 707, 714-16, 101 S.Ct. 1425, 67 L.Ed.2d 624 (1981) (all that is necessary to establish the required sincerity is "an honest conviction" that one's religion prohibits the conduct required by law); Hunt, 162 Vt. at 432-33, 648 A.2d at 851 ("matters of faith `need not be acceptable, logical, consistent, or comprehensible to others in order to merit First Amendment protection'") (quoting Thomas, 450 U.S. at 714, 101 S.Ct. 1425). We also recognize that courts must be cautious in judging the "centrality" or relative importance of a particular religious practice to a particular faith. Smith, 494 U.S. at 887, 110 S.Ct. 1595. It is well settled, nevertheless, that "some inquiry" into the threshold requirement of a substantial burden, i.e., the extent to which the government's requirement will make the believer's religious duties "more difficult or more costly," Tribe, supra, at 1247-48, is essential to ensure that the neutral laws do not become virtually captive to any declaration of a sincerely held religious belief, however slight the burden. "[T]he very concept of ordered liberty precludes allowing every person to make his own standards on matters of conduct in which society as a whole has important interests." Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205, 215-16, 92 S.Ct. 1526, 32 L.Ed.2d 15 (1972).

In this regard, numerous decisions have indicated that a burden on religion is not substantial if, as one court observed, "one can avoid it without violating one's religious beliefs." Smith v. Fair Employment & Hous. Comm'n, 12 Cal.4th 1143, 51 Cal.Rptr.2d 700, 913 P.2d 909, 926 (1996); see also Tony & Susan Alamo Found. v. Sec'y of Labor, 471 U.S. 290, 303, 105 S.Ct. 1953, 85 L.Ed.2d 278 (1985) ("It is virtually self-evident that the Free Exercise Clause does not require an exemption from a governmental program unless, at a minimum, inclusion in the program actually burdens the claimant's freedom to exercise religious rights."). Here, the civil union law itself provides the means of avoiding any potential free exercise burden on town clerks, by expressly *435• providing that "[a]n assistant town clerk may perform the duties of a town clerk under this chapter." 18 V.S.A. § 5161(b). Thus, the law itself offers an "accommodation" for town clerks with religious reservations about issuing a civil union license. Plaintiffs assert that even the act of appointing an assistant clerk to issue a license violates their sincerely held religious beliefs. We do not believe, however, that such an indirect and attenuated connection to the subject of the law substantially burdens plaintiffs' rights to freely exercise their religion in any degree approaching constitutional significance. See, e.g., Curtis v. School Committee of Falmouth, 420 Mass. 749, 652 N.E.2d 580, 587-89 (1995) (availability of, or exposure to, condom distribution program in public schools did not substantially burden objecting parents' or students' free exercise rights "to any degree approaching constitutional dimensions"). Therefore, we hold the trial court correctly concluded that plaintiff town clerks failed to allege facts sufficient to state a claim on which relief could be granted.

This court noted it was highly questionable whether a public officer could retain his/her public office retain public office while refusing to perform a generally applicable duty of that office on religious grounds. However, because the law allowed the public officer to delegate that duty to an assistant, then the public officer's free exercise rights were not substantially burdened as a matter of law.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Debra Law

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 11:43 pm
Kentucky clerk sued for not issuing same-sex marriage licenses

Quote:
The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky filed a federal lawsuit against Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis Thursday on behalf of two homosexual and two heterosexual couples, all of whom were turned down when they tried to get marriage licenses from Davis’ office this week.

Davis has said that her religious beliefs prevented her from complying with the Supreme Court decision, so she decided not to issue marriage licenses to any type of couple – straight or gay.

[snip]

Following the Supreme Court’s ruling last Friday, Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear ordered all clerks to fall in line. Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway followed up with a warning that failing to do so might open them up to civil liability.

Officials have also warned defiant clerks could be risking criminal charges. Warren County Attorney Ann Milliken, president of the Kentucky County Attorneys Association, president of the Kentucky County Attorney’s Association, said clerks could be charged with official misconduct, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail

[snip]

In the lawsuit, ACLU legal director William Sharp wrote that Davis' religious conviction "is not a compelling, important or legitimate government interest."

One of the attorneys who filed the lawsuit, Laura Landenwich, wrote that Davis "has the absolute right to believe whatever she wants about God, faith, and religion, but as a government official who swore an oath to uphold the law, she cannot pick and choose who she is going to serve, or which duties her office will perform based on her religious beliefs."

If Davis believes that complying with the Supreme Law of the Land infringes upon her religious beliefs, then she should resign from public office or delegate the duty of issuing marriage licenses to an assistant. Even in Justice Scalia's view, her decision to defy the law based on her own notions of religious morality goes against God's command.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:04 pm
The governor of Kentucky has directly ordered a county clerk to issue same-sex marriage licenses or resign. The clerk refuses to do either. Well I guess it's time to shoot him in the head and get a new clerk. Oh. ****. I keep forgetting that gays and liberals are not the Communist Nazi tyrant monsters that conservative extremists think we are. Cool
Debra Law

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 12:28 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

The governor of Kentucky has directly ordered a county clerk to issue same-sex marriage licenses or resign. The clerk refuses to do either....

The same type of defiance happened after the Supreme Court issued its decision in Brown v. Board of Education. Because state officials were defiant, the matter again reached the Supreme Court in Cooper v. Aaron, 381 U.S. 1 (1958).

This case resolves the issue. I urge everyone to read it.

RABEL222

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:54 pm
@Debra Law,
Bet u if Cooper v. Aaron were presented to this Supreme Court it would be reversed by a 5 to 4 vote.
Debra Law

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 11:50 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Bet u if Cooper v. Aaron were presented to this Supreme Court it would be reversed by a 5 to 4 vote.

You didn't read the case or you didn't understand what was said.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 12:45 pm
@Debra Law,
As I understand it it said that the state cannot refuse to implement an order by the Supreme Court. This is, it seems to me to be a liberal order by the court. This court, not a liberal court by any stretch of the imagination, being conservative would render a decision opposite to this one by a 5 to 4 vote. You seem to think I am wrong. Why?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 02:06 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

As I understand it it said that the state cannot refuse to implement an order by the Supreme Court. This is, it seems to me to be a liberal order by the court....

Why, yes, these current Justices are so conservative that they will say, "please disregard all of our rulings for we are but nine members of a Court which is merely established by the Constitution as a branch of government equal to the Executive and Legislative."
parados

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 02:09 pm
@DrewDad,
I doubt even Scalia would pen a ruling that says...

You can completely ignore all the court's rulings, especially this one that says you can ignore our rulings.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 09:29 pm
@parados,
All I can say is, corporations are people with the right to vote with money. If the Koch brothers ordered the conservative portion of the court to vote a reversal it would happen in a second. After all in our society we do as our masters tell us.