M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"

brimmel

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 08:10 am
a response to just about everyone...
Doins: What book are you talking about? if youre still on "the village" there is a book by the same name, but its about a town in vietnam during the war...i'm not sure what you mean.

Cjhsa: i assume you're talking about signs being an anti hunting movie?? if it was so obvious why are you the first person i have ever heard say that? if i'm wrong and your talking about something else, please let me know.....

ok, so i dont have as many replies as i thot.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:04 am
There are those that confuse "thrilled" with "drilled," brimmel and welcome to A2K.

The film looks like a flop, diving 67% on it's second weekend. Disney has now lost more on three films in a row than is possibly imagined. Imagineering a la Eisner seems to be a losing deal.
0 Replies

brimmel

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
oops
sorry, i didnt see the 2nd page of threads, for some reason i only saw the first one.......

personally tho, the anit-hunting and vegetarian thing seems a bit week. maybe its just me..... but especially the part where you think MNS is a vegetarian b/c he is indian......and that they are not allowed in the woods so they wont be able to hunt?? seems farfetched to me. if the trailor was so "blatant" in the anti hunting thing, then i'm surprised that more people havent picked up on it. i didnt, and i dont think that anyone i talked to ever even came close to thinking about it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
With the 67% drop in box office, it appears not enough people believe the film has much to say about anything. The word-of-mouth and bad reviews are almost always responsible for a second weekend drop in box office. Disney could still make it up in DVD sales but the lable that the film is a flop might stick with it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
I saw the movie last weekend. I knew how it would end after the first 5 minutes... and I was right. It was an ok movie but not the horror/scary movie the commercials make it out to be. Did anyone else see it yet?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:00 am
brimmel -- it was this film "The Village" that merely from the trailer cjhsa thought it was anti-hunting. I've avoided based on the lukewarm reviews of even plunking down my money at a cineplex to see it (not to mention I have never been impressed with this director's past efforts). If cjhsa can find any reviewer who has actually seen the entire film and come up with this "anti-hunting" theory, he's welcome to post it.
0 Replies

brimmel

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:53 pm
ahh, ok. well, i didnt pick up on that at any rate. i really enjoyed the movie tho, saw it 2 weekends in a row. absolutely loved it. tho granted, its not for everyone. not every is going to like it, just like with any other movie.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:26 am
I saw it last night. The first two thirds was exceptionally slow moving. The last third was really quite decent and very moving. I guess I'd call this clever but flawed. The acting was excellent.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
I haven't seen it (and probably won't) but there was a (unintentionally) hilarious letter to the editor of our paper's entertainment section that "The Village" was a metaphor for the Bush administration. The letter writer was so paranoid and over the top that it makes me almost want to go see the movie.

Has anyone else heard this political theory of "The Villiage"?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:37 am
No, but some have said the same thing about the new "The Manchurian Candidate," and, of course, "The Day After Tomorrow." I see more parables of the Bush administration coming before November.
0 Replies

brimmel

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
i've heard some of this stuff, and frankly i think it is a load...at least for the most part. why is it that every single thing somehow has to be connected to politics? why cant something be purely for entertainment?? some of the connections i have heard were quite a stretch too....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:08 pm
I can't agree or disagree as I haven't seen the film. Friends have told me it's the weakest of the four films and the ending was telegraphed quite plainly in the first half hour. It broke the suspense and tension and that's not good for this type of movie. The reviews are commenserate with the word-of-mouth and this accounts for the weak box office figures after the first weekend. It's 7M this weekend, if it falls below 3M, it's a goner and ready for DVD and cable. Not that box office figures are all there is to it as DVD sales now add up to 53% of a film's profit on average and I don't believe this film cost a great deal to make.
0 Replies

kcroxyoursox

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:32 pm
i loved the movie
i liked all of his movies
they always make you think
and i think its neat that he has a cameo in all of them
kinda like wheres waldo lol
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:47 am
No, more like Hitchcock which he immitates.

Welcome to A2K, kcroxyoursox.

I'm afraid I've missed the thinking part of Shyamalan's movies -- for instance, what exactly was the point of "The Village?" Thinking denotes to me some sociological significance to a film. As far as death, "Six Feet Under" and "Dead Like Me" have more to say about the subject than "The Sixth Sense." "The Village" wasn't overwhelmingly loved, now at about 107M internationally. Although it's shown better results than recent Disney distributed and produced films which make Michael Eisner look like a dolt.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
If one wants to think as far as the inspiration of a story, I prefer David Mamet. "Spartan" was an intricate thriller which was entertaining. I don't find Night's offerings as all that entertaining -- he swishes his blade through the air but it has a dull edge. Instead of steering away from Hitchcock, he seems more bound by the master's edge. "The Village," which I finally did condescend to go see, telegraphs its ending in the first reel. The acting is good and the love story had possibilities but like "Signs" letting the loss of faith take over, the love story took over. Any storyteller should know that they have to stay on track -- "Unbreakable" was a metaphysical, existentialist muddle made no better by a maudlin performance by Bruce Willis.
0 Replies

Abu Ishaq Al Juwayri

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
wow! lightwizard....i think shamalama ding-dong must have wronged you in a past life or something....you really have it in for him....

as far as my opinion....the village was not nearly as good as i had hoped....the acting and the script were hard to bear considering the fact that they weren't allowed to use any contractions....

the beginning was really slow....all in all, i suppose it was worth the price of entry considering i spend just as much money on a meal...

i don't get how you all say the ending was telegraphed.....i missed that...the ending was a surprise to me....and clever....

of course....i could be wrong
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:02 pm
Hey, welcome to A2K, Abu and how about that soccer team!

"The Village" is filmed as if it should be made into a novel. It's initial release weekend to very mixed reviews brought in excellent ticket sales, the second weekend it dropped off nearly 70%, the kiss of death for any new blockbuster potential movie and this one was promoted with overbearing zeal. That second weekend depends on the word-of-mouth but apparantly those who saw it weren't urging their family, friends, neighbors and co-workers to make an immediate beeline for the cineplex to see it. I had seen pretty much every film I thought was worth the trip and the ticket price but this was an after dinner on-the-spot selection. It wasn't worth it. I'd had rather waited until it made it to Showtime or HBO cable -- I wouldn't even bother to rent the DVD. I do have the tendency to compare every thriller to Hitchcock's best, like "Vertigo" or "Rear Window." The comparison doesn't come off well -- there's a slick commerciality in Night's output despite his effort to clothe each film in an arty cloak. They are all photographed with a high level of cinematic panache but ultimately I find little if any substance to any of them other than a pretentious shaggy dog story.
0 Replies