Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:29 am
I have gone back to breadmaking after several years hiatus. Very Happy Unfortunately, the bread tends to be airy and rather dry. Sad

Could I be using too much yeast? I only make one loaf at a time, and perhaps the standard envelope is too much so it overrises? Does this sound logical? Or, since life is so often not logical, does this sound likely?
Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,733 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
Tomkitten
Tomkitten, why don't you post your recipe and your method in making it so we can a look to see if we can help you?

I've gotten about half of my recipes posted to A2K's Portal site. You may want to check out the following bread recipes.

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/Recipes/Breads/index.html

BBB
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:24 pm
Bread turns out dry
OK, BBB, here's my basic recipe (I also do challah and light rye):

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp yeast (or 1 envelope)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp oil
3/4 cup (more or less) hot water

Cover with plastic wrap & clean cloth
Let rise until doubled
Punch down, shape & let rise in pan until doubled
Bake 35 minutes @ 350 degrees

Sometimes I put it in the fridge for the first rise (takes about 2 hours, and can stay there 12-24 hours), otherwise I let it rise at room temperature, about an hour, maybe less.

The trouble is that it gets dry very quickly, even if the first slices don't seem dry. But if I let it bake a shorter time it's doughy and obviously not baked long enough. With the dryness goes a coarseness of crumb; it's too light in texture. We like bread that's a bit more dense, one that makes good toast after a day or so. This doesn't.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
Try reducing the 1 tbsp. of yeast to 2 tsp., see what happens.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
Bread turns out dry
Thanks, Cav. I was thinking of that after I posted my problem.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:30 pm
Cav and Tom Kitten
Good suggestion, Cav.

Tom Kitten, you can't make a more dense, moist, delicious loaf of bread than my recipe for Finnish Style Limpa Bread. It's my favorite bread.
Makes wonderful toast and sandwiches.

Try making the following tuna sandwich filling using my Limpa bread recipe. You will love it.
http://search.able2know.com/About/13254.html

BBB
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:06 pm
Bread turns out dry
Cav - Your suggestion worked perfectly! I have made (single loaves) challah and seeded light rye using only a teaspoon of yeast and all has gone very smoothly. Thanks!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:09 pm
Bread turns out dry
BumbleBee- Thanks for the Tuna Salad sandwich recipe - looks good, and I hope to try it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:11 pm
bBB, Ill try to make some of your limpa bread. As soon as the weather isnt so damn hot and baking doesnt mess up the aC.
0 Replies