Getting too close to wild animals

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:23 pm
(NEWSER) – For those still operating under the at-times very misguided notion that beavers are just busy little critters with eccentric tails: KBND reports that two men hiking along Oregon's Deschutes River this week came upon a beaver dam and decided to explore, ending in both being hospitalized after a resident beaver emerged to defend its territory. Clayton Mitchell, 23, told cops the beaver knocked him into the water, while 31-year-old friend John Bailey became entangled in logs.

Mitchell called for help, which arrived just as Bailey freed himself. "I was just getting off shift when the report came in, and I didn't believe it," a Deschutes County Sheriff's Department rep tells Reuters, which calls the attack "virtually unprecedented" in the area. "I'm a city boy from the East Coast, and every day in Deschutes County I learn something new. This time, I learned, don't mess with a beaver." Both men's injuries were considered non-life threatening; other recent victims have been seriously mauled or killed.

This story originally appeared on Newser:

NEWSER
Hikers Learn Hard Way Not to Mess With Beaver Dams

GorDie

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 05:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
beavers are vicious and hostile. I saw one yesterday. My friend has been chased by one.
roger

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
You might not want to mess around with those cute, cuddly raccoons, either.
chai2

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:10 pm
@GorDie,
I got chased by a damn beagle as a kid.

I hate beagles.

I would think I would have been too smart to mess with a beaver at any age.

Peoples are dumb.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30364-you-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-uA6z.gif
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:11 pm
@roger,
The raccoons I have caught in have a heart traps were neither cute nor cuddly. I figured out how to release them without getting my hands in the vicinity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:13 pm
@chai2,
I had a sweet little dog that was half Cocker Spaniel, half Beagle. But dumb as a rock. She spent days barking at a piece of sheet plastic I dropped in the yard.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 08:26 am
I chased a car once .
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 09:16 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm all but convinced that beaver really controls the world, but in an incognito sort of way.

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

Slugfoot

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:12 am
Some time ago I saw a video on a news site of a beaver attacking a guy (Polish, possibly?) who got too close. I think he died from blood loss.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:20 am
@FBM,
Mooses is dangerous, from what I've seen.
As for beavers, I had no idea, until recently, that they could kill a man.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Moose are not only dangerous due to territorial aggression...especially in mating season, they have piss-poor vision (blind spot directly in front). Mistakenly, the moose is thought of as dumb but it's not true. All their characteristics do add up to a potentially bad hair day when you're around them. Sorry, Bullwinkle
Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:05 am
I've sen a moose, an all I got ta say is I'd 'ate ta see wot ya cuts look like .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:37 am
@Ragman,
moose are a constant traffic issue in maine. now a few have this kind of 'mad moose' disease that turns them into a bad tempered tank.

maine has a lot of dirt roads that arent cared for and may go unattended for months. never be caught on one of the with a sick moose coming out of the brush. they will beat the crap out of your truck. (If you have a small car, good luck)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 04:33 pm
Man named Bear kills man-eating Texas alligator
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-named-bear-kills-man-eating-texas-alligator-article-1.2283713

"Woodward, 28, jumped into the gator-infested waters Friday after yelling, “F--k that alligator!” He was immediately bitten and killed, officials said."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 05:33 pm
Several years ago, a man who, with his wife or girlfriend, had decided to live with grizzlies in Alaska, was killed and eaten. He was carrying a video camera at the time, and although there was no video of the attack, the audio of the attack, with the man screaming before he died was retrieved.

Previously, he had boasted that he could move safely among them, because he understood them. Apparently, he did not understand them well enough. I'm not going to go look for the incident online, the more ghoulish among us are, of course, free to do so.
roger

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 05:47 pm
@Setanta,
Maybe the bear just didn't understand us.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:08 pm
the more ghoulish among us

Yeah. I didn't read much of my own alligator post, because I didn't want to read beyond what I already know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:15 pm
The bear may have been a libertarian. Alligators? I'm not sure about their politics.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
The man that killed the man eating alligator is being investigated for making an illegal kill.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Several years ago, a man who, with his wife or girlfriend, had decided to live with grizzlies in Alaska, was killed and eaten. He was carrying a video camera at the time, and although there was no video of the attack, the audio of the attack, with the man screaming before he died was retrieved.

Previously, he had boasted that he could move safely among them, because he understood them. Apparently, he did not understand them well enough. I'm not going to go look for the incident online, the more ghoulish among us are, of course, free to do so.

I watched the Netflix documentary about him 2 days ago. His name was Tim Treadwell, and the documentary is called Grizzly Man.

I'm conflicted about my feelings toward him. On one hand, he was very passionate about animals, and their being able to safely live in their land. He was in fact, a very good man.

On the other hand, he was a complete wingnut.

The woman that died with him was Amie Huguenard. Most of my sympathies went to her.