Failed to get the humor: what is little numbers game on the side?

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 02:50 am
I found "on the side" to refer to "without official authorization". The expression seems to mean "to earn money for yourself without properly repaying the people who have helped you."
Am I on the right track?

Context:

http://www.someworthwhilequotes.com/images/graphics/nz155.jpg

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 03:33 am
You are partly on the right track, but you do not get the joke.

Explanation of joke:

The cartoon depicts a 1930s-1950s stereotype American gangster or "hoodlum". He is addressing a man sitting at a table attached to a wall (hence oriented "sideways"). The man is accompanied at the table by three numbers 13, 64, and (I think) 7 in physical form. They are like large versions of the numbers house owners fix on their front doors. They appear to be playing a card game. One number is wearing an eye shade (he is probably the dealer in the card game). The hats, clothes, décor etc are cliché type visual clues.

A "numbers game" is an illegal lottery played mostly in poor neighbourhoods in the United States, wherein a bettor attempts to pick three digits to match those that will be randomly drawn the following day. These games are run by gangsters.

A senior gangster would be angry if a junior member of the gang were to run his own numbers game "on the side", i.e. as a subsidiary activity, secretly, unofficially and without permission.

The joke is that we are seeing a "game" in which "numbers" physically take part, which is visually sideways. Two double meanings.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 03:57 am
In fact the game is "on the side" of the room.
oristarA

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 06:24 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
That is, the game is a scam devised by gangsters.
Without the gang leader's nod, any member of the gang can't play, esp. secretly, the game.
McTag

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:24 pm
@oristarA,

You got it.
0 Replies