Just saw a headline about two escaped murderers

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:20 pm
Escaped murderer David Sweat shot, is now in custody
http://www.click2houston.com/news/escapee-matt-shot-dead-cough-gives-him-away/33806644
neologist

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
No Sweat. Eh, edgar?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
kewl.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
My guess at the Capture pool was today, Sunday as the last day that they'd both still be free. That's $20 in my pocket. No Sweat of my brow!
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:47 pm
@Ragman,
Congrats Ragman!
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 07:00 am
@glitterbag,
Such a sad state of affairs, wasn't it? I hope that prison gets a whole new security team and hiring procedures.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 07:09 am
@Ragman,
I can't imagine how big a mess our prison system has become.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 08:11 am
@glitterbag,
Yes, seemingly so. Certainly that one was poor. The cost of that manhunt to track down the convicts with 1100+ law officers must be astronomical.

The public was at horrible risk. If there's one like that, there's far more. Now we understand what NIMBY folks are about when it comes to construction projects surrounding building prisons.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 09:47 am
@Ragman,
Is it a cruel and unusual punishment to insert an RFID locator in a prisoner via a "milk shake" delivery?
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 09:49 am
@farmerman,
sorry..I'm not understanding you. Can you explain?

RFID locator? milk shake delivery?
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:14 am
@Ragman,
RFID's are radio frequency identification "D's" (dont recall what the d stands for. It may be "detextor".

Heres a little article on the BBC bdout RFID micrchips. A "milk shake delivery" is a suitably viscous liquid in which the micro RFID's can be swallowed (or else inserted into ones lungs via an atomizer This works great with coke heads). The RFIDs can be detected by a tuned radio frequency detector (basically a radio with an energetic antenna).
You can fly ovr an area and, based upon the detetor, you can pick up the miscreants signal
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:44 am
@farmerman,
A battery powered rfid chip has a range of a few hundred feet. But then you need a battery (which would make it harder to delivery via milkshake and would run out of power at some point).

A non-powered rfid chip only has a range of a few feet.

I am not sure this is practical. If it is, then it seems rather creepy. I might start wearing shielded clothing.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:47 am
@farmerman,
oh ok. I thought perhaps it was a method to find lost errant milkshakes.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:55 am
@maxdancona,
We could start a business. Tin foil hats, vests, skivvies.

We could be rich!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
oops, I finished , entered, went to lunch, and forgot to send the article about RFID's. Here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6389581.stm Some rfids are like radar transponders except they only respond to a given frequency , but they do have a better distance than the ones they use in a Walmart.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:35 pm
@farmerman,
Now that Sweat has been captured, he's claiming everybody and their brother were in on it. Its not a stretch to think he had soon inside help, but is it really credible so many people were involved.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:28 pm
I haven't been following the story, since the arrest. Guess I should read about it.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not as well versed on the details as I could be, but it appears he hasn't shut up since they caught him.
neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Probably trying to talk himself into better custody.
General population instead of solitary.
0 Replies