need to know abt indo-european langauges

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 02:43 pm
hai
i want to be linguistic, may i know where can i get english dictionary of indo-eurpoean orgin??? may i know what all languages are called indo-european languages??? what book can i read to know about these languages??? how can i be master or trainer of these language??? pls help what do i need to do???

somewhatsolved

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:17 am
@skumarforu,
I recommend that you start with Latin. Being's how it is the root to about 90% of these languages. Then go to the other three roots: Celtic, I don't quite remember the brother two. I'll find the link that should help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 04:49 am
Latin is not the source of 90% of European languages. Latin is the source of the Romance languages, which do not include the Germanic languages (of which English is one) nor the Slavic languages. Latin has influenced the Germanic and Slavic languages, the former far more than the latter, but it is absurd to say that Latin is the source of 90# of European languages.

The American Heritage Dictionary always had an extensive section on Indo-European roots, and clicking on this link will take you to an online copy of the AH Dictionary's Indo-European roots appendix.

The company which publishes it also publishes The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots. (This link to an Amazon page is provided for information only, and does not constitute a recommendation of Amazon's products or services.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 06:26 am
@skumarforu,
Indo-European languages are more or less those of the descendants of Noah's son Japhet who went north from the ark after it landed. These include the three main/common branches (Romance, Germanic, and Slavic) but also Farsi, Sanscrit/Hindi, Greek, Celtic, and a couple of others.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 07:17 am
<snort>
0 Replies