Define Morality

Krumple

Wed 24 Jun, 2015 01:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

This one is a killer !
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyn_xLrtZaY[/youtube]

Reminds me of a job I had over ten years ago. I was working at a small company and the manager who as my boss was the most unproductive on the team. He would work for two hours and then took a nap for the rest of the day. This wasn't conjecture, I actually found him sleeping at his desk on multiple occasions. Yet he had the nerve to give me **** about my production. I should add there were multiple times when he was needed for something and he would step out of his office looking disheveled and groggy like he just woke up.

One day he was being overly critical for no reason, completely unfounded, he just wanted to give me **** to make himself feel better and I had enough. So I said to him, I could probably be more productive if I was allowed to work for two hours and then sleep the rest of my shift. He fired me for saying that. It wasn't a bad thing because I got a better job after leaving.
Frank Apisa

Wed 24 Jun, 2015 02:04 pm
@Krumple,

And that reminds me of a story…of a like type, Krumple.

My immediate supervisor called me in and said, “Starting Saturday, you are going to have to work a half day each Saturday.”

“I can’t,” I respond, ”I play golf on Saturday. We have a six o’clock tee time every Saturday.”

“You gotta,” he insists.

After a long exchange with neither of us giving an inch, he throws up his hands and says, “Well, you gotta go see Leo (president and CEO; small company; office in the building.)

I go upstairs. My supervisor had obviously called and prepped Leo…because when I walk in, he says, “You work every Saturday morning…or you don’t work here anymore.” End of conversation…he goes back to his paperwork.

I go downstairs. My supervisor says, “What did he say?”

“He said I don’t have to work Saturdays!"

While he goes upstairs to find out what had happened, I clear out my desk.
I liked my next job a lot also.
0 Replies

GorDie

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 05:54 pm
@neologist,
Morality is defining the boundary of that which FACTUALLY promotes negative behaviour and results, and the things which do not.

such as advocating atheism to a corrupt politicians, thus suggesting morals are fictitious man made opinion statements. Or advocating atheism to a murderer, rapists, or child, Or a Neglectful boyfriend or a doushbag.

another example is cutting grass with non renewable resources. which is a fundamental Flaw with society, and is not justified by mass population behaviour, but is instead even better portrayed as immoral and insane.

It is moral to do something which promotes positive behaviour and does not support negative actions such as the disrespect or use and abandonment of women.
FBM

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:01 pm
@GorDie,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/11242683_929644167057517_57939585419013306_n.jpg
0 Replies

Krumple

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:52 pm
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

Morality is defining the boundary of that which FACTUALLY promotes negative behaviour and results, and the things which do not.

such as advocating atheism to a corrupt politicians, thus suggesting morals are fictitious man made opinion statements. Or advocating atheism to a murderer, rapists, or child, Or a Neglectful boyfriend or a doushbag.

another example is cutting grass with non renewable resources. which is a fundamental Flaw with society, and is not justified by mass population behaviour, but is instead even better portrayed as immoral and insane.

It is moral to do something which promotes positive behaviour and does not support negative actions such as the disrespect or use and abandonment of women.

This must mean it is morally right to tell your children that they are going to burn in hell for eternity if they don't believe a man was murdered to save them from a god's wrath. You have to believe in the loophole or else be tortured.

Yeah perfectly moral to do that. I see no problem with it at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 3 Jul, 2015 08:50 am
@neologist,
neology wrote:
But what is morality?

On re-reading the thread, it occurs to me that I haven't actually answered the question. What I stated instead is that utilitarianism is my preferred theory of morality. I stand by this theory, but I nevertheless missed the topic. So I'll try again. To start with, I think there are two parts to defining morality.
  1. Morality answers the question: "how should I behave?" Anything that doesn't address this question is not morality.

2. While reasonable people disagree which answers to this question count as moral, they will broadly agree that the following answer does not: "Do whatever you feel like doing whenever you feel like it, no matter what the impact on others." In recognizing that this maxim is amoral, we can make some progress towards defining morality by process of elimination.

Morality then, answers the question "how should I behave?" in some way that pushes individuals' behavior towards consistency, impulse control, and regard for others. And that's how I define morality.

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:18 am
@Thomas,
How should one behave when drinking a cup of water ?
0 Replies

popeye1945

Tue 26 Jan, 2021 10:34 pm
@neologist,
Neologist, Morality is self-interest. it is the best statement that a given society can come up with to this effect. When it is confused by mythologies/religions/superstitions, self-interest as its intent is often lost. Morality is a biological creation/an extension of the nature of one's psyche as morality, rightly composed it serves the life and well-being of its subjects/citizens.
Jasper10

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 04:43 am
@popeye1945,
you HOPE.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 04:56 am
@neologist,
Well the biblical view is that morality is based upon the ten commandments....that much it totally clear. The issue with these commandments is that we need to keep them PERFECTLY and we can't .....it's back to black and white again (simply put it's back to 0's and 1's or 1's and 0's or 0's and 0's or 1's and 1's) ...i.e. perfection/imperfection ...there is NO grey with these commandments.
popeye1945

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 08:15 am
@Jasper10,
JASPER, DUH!
Jasper10

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 08:37 am
@popeye1945,
Forget GREY when it comes to philosophy....It's BLACK or WHITE.....It's perfection or imperfection...It's on or off....It's Good or Bad....It's there is a God...or there isn't a God.....NO GREY!!!!!
popeye1945

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 01:34 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper, As I said elsewhere you need to crack open some books and spend some time reading and I do not mean the bible.
Jasper10

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 01:44 pm
@popeye1945,
Why? just because you don’t understand..is that my problem?
popeye1945

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:11 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper, A person's beliefs are determined by the sum of the knowledge he/she has gained up to that moment, but to get a broader understanding one needs to expose one's self to a fairly wide range of materials. I understand what you believe, and everyone has a certain emotional investment in their beliefs, but it is unwise to stop there, and not expand your intellectual horizons.
Jasper10

Thu 28 Jan, 2021 01:16 am
@popeye1945,
My intellectual horizons are perfectly fine thankyou.If you don’t want to learn then fine...state a spectator.
popeye1945

Thu 28 Jan, 2021 11:14 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper, good luck and good by!
0 Replies

Jasper10

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 02:42 pm
@Jasper10,
The possibility of morality can be proven to be true by sound logic.That is without question.It comes from positive nihilism. Most people are only persuaded by negative nihilism.
0 Replies

NoName77

Sat 10 Apr, 2021 09:39 am
@neologist,
"Life".... "grows".
Jasper10

Sun 11 Apr, 2021 02:02 am
@NoName77,
To answer the original question of the post.

ABSOLUTE MORALITY (not man made morality) would be the difference between the 2 off logic output possibilities of 0,0...1,1 translated as good is good and bad is bad.