What instrument is this???????

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 09:20 pm
I recently heard this instrument play while rummaging through different artists that do not have a lot of recognition. I came across this fellow's music, and am dreadfully curious as to which instrument starts this song off.
The song is titled "At the Journey's End" and this link should bring you directly to it. Just simply hit play, and listen in. http://anttimartikainen.bandcamp.com/album/eternal-saga

It sounds like a sort of... woodwind instrument, right? It plays for the first 33 seconds and after that I believe a violin joins in. My best guess would be some sort of flute, but again, I do not know much about musical instruments. I'm an amateur pianist and seeking the thought of starting a woodwind instrument since they tend to be a bit more simple/straight forward (Not degrading you woodwind players!). When getting stressed on piano, I'd switch to the woodwind for a bit of satisfaction then continue on.

So is my guess of it being a flute correct? Is it some sort of medieval ancestor of the flute? It has a lot of power behind it and that's what I like. When I listen to a generic flute, it doesn't stand out much to my ears. But this, has some serious power. A friend of mine who plays on synthesizer-esc instruments says it may be a flute with strong effects put on it. To my ears, it sounds like the real-deal with sensitive microphones. It sounds a bit too real to be mere effects, but, what do I know?

Hopefully one of you will have the answer, and I look forward to seeing all of your opinions on the matter. My curiosity is raging.

-Steven

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:21 pm
@Gigant00r,
It is a flute
Gigant00r

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:02 am
@Butrflynet,
Well, that was blunt, haha. Your standard flute? Or one of old times?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:08 am
@Gigant00r,
It sounds like a Brannen Brothers flute, circa 1983, played left handed by a large woman in her thirties,
Gigant00r

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
First let me say I take back what I said about flute. After researching into them, they're actually fairly difficult to play.

And that's surprisingly specific, if not sarcastic. I expected it to be an old flute, I only wish it was more common. Thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 07:28 pm
@Gigant00r,
from the composer's notes on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kHouJU0nQ

Quote:
I was hoping to make a song that feels like a complete journey in a fantasy realm. Jesus, it's getting a bit tough to define a genre in the title Very Happy The song has a calm and beautiful celtic intro, then a more aggressive epic irish/celtic battle part and the ending is majestic and beautiful. There's over 60 instruments/layers, mostly celtic winds, medieval instruments, orchestrations and percussions.

This song is only a demo track and it will be released as an enhanced version for my new album.

This song was made with FL studio 11 with several different virtual instrument libraries (EastWest/Quantum Leap, Best Service, Bela D Media etc.).
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
the opening sounds like celtic flute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePz3QSfJiuc
Gigant00r

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow, that's accurate. I think that may be the one, Beth. Thanks. From listening to that video, he must have played some high notes during the song.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 07:44 pm
@Gigant00r,
with good embouchure, most woodwinds have a big range of notes
Gigant00r

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 08:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Just finished ordering my first woodwind minutes ago. Very excited.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 08:52 pm
@Gigant00r,
That's an interesting approach.
Gigant00r

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah, I'm not ordering one to get more of a clue to this one. I'm ordering one because I believe I found one I genuinely love. It's not a celtic flute, but I may get one later on.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 09:28 pm
@Gigant00r,
Have you tried to play any woodwinds? different instruments use different embouchure - and not everyone is good at them all. i.e. an oboe is different from a flute which is different from a clarinet which is different from a recorder which is different from a bassoon which is different from a ney etc etc

Gigant00r

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 10:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I am very aware. I've not tried anything past a recorder, to my knowledge. Though, I've went quite in depth with research. I've chosen a Chinese Bamboo Flute (Model Xiao). I've been listening to it play for awhile now and thought I might as well pick it up to learn alongside piano. I know, these flutes are very difficult to play for awhile. There's a steep learning curve, but I'll keep my perseverance levels high. If I'm good at anything, it's repetitive practice.
For those who may be curious of its sound - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtHF9iih8rw
0 Replies