Google Chrome and the NPAPI Dilemma for Java, Flash and others.

Sun 14 Jun, 2015 05:13 pm
I posted this on Facebook but it must have all the computer techs in my friend list as baffled as I am. So, I'm trying A2K.

Any computer techies more up to speed than I am about Chrome's NPAPI phase out and what we're supposed to replace NPAPI-based plugins with when they stop supporting any of them in September, 2015? I've done some searching and about all I find are suggestions to start using a different browser.

Is there something that will be Chrome friendly that replaces Java, Flash, Facebook, and other plugins mentioned in this article?

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html

I was getting several yellow-bar warnings at the top of the screen when accessing several pages saying support for the plugin was soon to be discontinued. I followed the link to temporarily enable NPAPI and this stopped the warnings. But, page loads are now even slower than the snail pace they were at previously.

Seriously considering dumping Chrome but don't want to use IE or Firefox again.

Butrflynet

Mon 15 Jun, 2015 10:05 am
@Butrflynet,
Hmmm, Windows 10 is due out in August, Intel is coming out with new stuff around the same time and Chrome is stopping support of NPAPI.

Looks like it is going to be a good holiday season for retailers and tech support folks.
0 Replies