Paver Sealing Treatment

CDobyns

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:19 am
We have a small number of 16 x 16 pavers in our backyard that are mostly a standard red clay color. The pavers are laid over a layer of white pea stones. We noticed that the pavers really stand out when they are wet, and reflect a darker shade of red coloration.

Exclusive of defaulting to the option of praying for rain every day (and why would you do that, unless you lived in California of course . . .), we were wondering if anyone knew of a spray on /paint on, clear sealing treatment, that would more or less permanently darken the pavers, but not affect the surface, and make them slippery. I've got to believe that there's some sort of product like this available commercially, either for appearance enhancement or for improved preservation against weathering. Suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:41 am
@CDobyns,
CD, I'd drop in at Home Depot or Lowes
CDobyns

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Although there's been an intervening period of time (close to a year) on this paver sealing treatment posting - I can report some inroads (that could be interpreted as progress . . .). Following the guidance here, I checked at Lowe's and they had something that was exactly what the doctor ordered.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/CGDobyns/Valspar%20Sealer_zpspnlv3skm.jpg
The upsides about this product is that it's water-based, and can be applied with a pressurized-sprayer. The pavers (or other brick) will probably require the sprayed-on material to be brushed a little (to ensure the continuity of the coverage). The other upsides to this product is that product does seep into the material, does give the paver a wet look, is waterproof, and the surface is not left "ice rink" slippery. The one downside is that to really get the desired "wet look" - does probably require that two coats of the product be applied, and the product can be a little pricey. Your best bet is to assume that you'll need more product than you probably estimate you will. Consequently, you'll want to think about buying in the multi-gallon quantity (which is available).
0 Replies