Open letter to Apple, Mac, etc

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 10:52 am
Message to typical software editing-routibne writer: (Incidentally by the sheerest coincidence, his inability to recognize a misspelling in a hyphenated compound as above, is typical of his massive incompetence)

Dear software writer: Today let's discuss (talk about) spelling. A case in point (what I want to talk about) is a misspelling (something spelled wrong) by extraneous (by the way, extra) punctuation (hyphen, question mark, comma, etc) such as"lo[p." To lop means to cut,

http://onelook.com/?w=lop&ls=a

...."etc" being an abbreviation (shortening) of "et cetera," which means "and so forth"

Reason this sort of misspelling is so common and you should address (see to, do something about) it, is the simultaneous (at the same time) strike (hit) of two adjacent (close, together) keys

Look at your keyboard (where you push to get letters, numbers, etc). See how the "[", called the "left bracket," or sometimes "square bracket,"

http://onelook.com/?w=bracket&ls=

....is immediately (just) to the right of the "p". It's just to the upper right of the middle (Oh and there's no space between " " " and "[")

Tomorrow we'll talk about recognizing (seeing for what is) the misspelling with extraneous letter (for instance "ids" for "is"). I realize this one isd especially difficult as you fellas can't touch type

I didn't do that to illustrate (show you) my point (what I'm talking about), it happens all over the world millions of times a minute because it's by far the most common (everyday, everywhere) misspelling of "is"

I understand you've had a committee (guys and gals sitting around a table usually, talking about something) of 13 editing-routine writers working on this particular (single, alone) misspelling for some three months now. To make quicker work of it, please suggest to your supervisor (boss) that for your kind of work he should require (need, ask for) a higher IQ ("Intelligence Quotient," or smarts)

Average (usual) is 100 but come on, guys, increase it (the IQ requirement) from 32 to at least 80

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,762 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:15 am
@dalehileman,
Yess there are several grammatical errors and mispunctuation. Same software writer who doesn't recognize the misspelling "p[oop" gives us what seems like only a few seconds to edit our postings
dalehileman

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:42 am
@dalehileman,
Just a moment ago I noted another atrocity that must set a record for absolute stupidity: In the new Apple OpSys Contacts listing, if

"Corby Stuner" listed under "C " (as spostabee), then why is
"Dale hileman" listed under "H"

Incredible, positively unbelievable
dalehileman

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:56 am
@dalehileman,
By the way guys I've just discovered how to apply addresses from Contacts to Mail at the end of a "To:" line. When you click on the address you have to wait a little, holding down the key before dragging it. When you see a little foggy square icon appear, you can then drag it to the end of "To:"

Not the icon, now, but the address. Be sure not to let up on the key

You will thank me
dalehileman

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:32 pm
@dalehileman,
Not the most incredible feature of Apple's new OpSys password requirement, but right up there, is an occasional request to repeat. Most of the time (if I hadn't inadvertently Shut Down) once having fired up, entering my password opens my Mail as it's sposta. However sometimes it doesn't

It just sits there, thinking, while I clean my nails. Then it wiggles. Then it's highlighted in brilliant orange. What it's doing, it's asking me to repeat, as if I had entered it wrong--which I hadn't

They must be suspicious little monsters, all those editing-routine writers. Help me persuade the like of Apple/Mac to set a higher standard for IQ
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
I've never used mac email - I use yahoo and gmail.

Also, I am not a guy.

Also, why the F don't you go the apple store and talk to these people? You like to see yourself type? Maybe one of your numbered sons could go with you, or your with them - that could help. You are likely wearing them out by all your present whining.

People at most independent computer shops will come to your house. I think butrflynet suggested a mac store in your area that would do that, to which I concur. I don't know if mac stores do that, since I've never asked, but I figure butrflynet knows and it is easy enough to call them and ask if you would just use your phone.

When I was six miles from one, I'd just drive over. They were good, and, better, made things clear to me. The two people over more than a decade who have come to my house were fantastic, both competent and helpful to me as a dummy.
dalehileman

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I've never used mac email - I use yahoo and gmail.
Thanks Oss, I'll talk to my excellent No. 1 Son about that possibility

Quote:
Also, I am not a guy.
Forgive me Oss: Subliminally dog male, cat female. Well-known Freudian

Quote:
Also, why the F don't you go the apple store and talk to these people?
Apple is the cause of it all and has been credited with the most atrocious software so I'd entertain second thoughts..... By the sheerest good fortune however I have a couple of very talented sons L and S as well as a frequent visitor M who do this sort of thing a lot so hoping with their next visits to straighten out my Apple/Mac

Quote:
You like to see yourself type?
No but I do like seeing it appear instantly on the screen. Doesn't always work that way

Quote:
Maybe one of your numbered sons could go with you, that could help.
They'd laugh at the suggestion, thanks Oss

Quote:
You are likely wearing them out by all your present whining.
I've often wondered how they tolerate me. Every day I ask, "Am I overcrowding your inbox?"

Quote:
People at most independent computer shops will come to your house.
$50 min with no guarantees in advance

Quote:
I don't know if mac stores do that, since I've never asked.
Well if all else fails.....

Quote:
When I was six miles from one, I'd just drive over.
I'm lucky, my Better Half drives me all over the place

Quote:
They were good, and, better, made things clear to me. The two people over more than a decade who have come to my house were fantastic, both competent had helpful to me as a dummy.
Thanks again Oss, indeed at 84 I'm a PC dummy; but as a last resort......
0 Replies