Ignoring people on the Internet!

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 10:06 am
Much of the time (not always by any means) when an Internet participant puts someone on IGNORE (or just ignores responses of a particular poster)...this is what he/she is doing:

https://aimeedavisjourno.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/fingers-in-ears.jpg

He/she is just doing it the way it is done on the Internet.

Often (more often than some want to acknowledge) it is not done because what the ignored person is saying is of no value or is redundant…

…but because what the person is saying injures, in some way, a "deeply held BELIEF."

Some people just do not know how to deal reasonably with arguments that contradict BELIEFS.

Just sayin’!

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Or not.

Some of us just curate what we see because we don't have infinite time to read online.

Honestly, I don't know why there's such hostility to ignoring. I don't read the living section of the paper most of the time, either. It doesn't mean I don't like or ignore furniture.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:27 am
@jespah,
Thank you, Jespah, although I am not sure what you meant by "curate what we see."

I personally have no hostility to ignoring under most circumstances. But there are times where people ignore others...for no reason other than to do what that little boy is doing in my opening post.

And as I said...."just sayin'"

I certainly ignore certain posters after reading a word or two of their post. I ignore some threads, because they simply do not interest me.

This thread is simply my way of responding to some ignoring going on that I find amusing enough to actually create a thread dealing with it.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Forgive me Frank, but where in heck do I find this "IGNORE" link or icon
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:49 am
@dalehileman,
If you were to click on my name (I hope you do not use me, though)...you will come to the main page of the individual you clicked on.

You can put someone on ignore there. You will see the button near the Send Message button.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 12:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Aha Frank thanks most kindly. Incidentally what's the difference between that and the thumbs down over to the left
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 12:31 pm
@dalehileman,
If you put someone on IGNORE...their posts will not show up. Just a line indicating that a posting was made.

With the thumbs up/down...you get the post.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 12:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Aha Frank, thanks again

Thumbs up suggests the participant approves the post but I've long wondered about thumbs down because it's also a way to remove a posting without any sort of judgment
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 12:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
When you thumb a post down, it will collapse. The same thing if you thumb a thread down. It will just have a line indicating you have thumbed it down similar to the line indicating the user is on ignore.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 01:03 pm
@parados,
Yer right...I forgot that.

But the next post of that person will show up...unless you put him on IGNORE.

I'm not big on the feature myself. I'll listen to anyone talk about anything. JTT finally got on my nerves...and I put him on IGNORE. Only person since I've been here.
NSFW (view)
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 02:47 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I understand and appreciate what you are saying, Lordy...and I agree completely. That is the reason for the parenthetical "not always by any means" above.

But often it is exactly like that little boy is doing.

Just thought I would mention it. I hope you, nor anyone else, takes it to mean "any and all."
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 02:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I agree with Lordy. Why give certain people a platform so they can continue with their stupid rants over and over again. Usually, they have nothing to say except repetitive derogatory slures. It gets old fast and why should one have to read that garbage?
I certainly don't! My threshold for pain isn't high enough...
neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't ignore amos.
No matter how stupid he may be
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:01 pm
@neologist,
Everyone has a different level of tolerance.

I couldn't stomach OMGSigDavid either and only found out recently that
he hasn't written here in a while. I tend to forget about ignored people.....intentionally.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
A lot of people here do not enjoy arguing or nastiness, Frank.

I am not backward in coming forward when it comes to expressing an opinion, and have had many people disagree with me over the years, and vice versa.

After about two or three posts each, backwards and forwards, I find I have had enough and no further gain can be had by extending the argument ad infinitum.

Mainly, I come on here for a bit of fun, interaction and learning. I think that a large number of people come to A2K for the same reasons.

Others seem to come on here purely or mainly for heated debate or serious argument.

If members of the non argument faction find that by putting arguers on ignore enhances their overall A2K experience, then isn't it understandable that they should employ such a tactic?
They are harming no-one, and just want to view their preferred non argumentative A2K .

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Didn't you start a thread about how you'd put JTT on ignore? I have a few people on ignore but I've never started a thread about any of them.

Just saying.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree with Lordy also, Jane.

No one should have to read garbage.

But there are times (lots of times) when the ignore...is just that kid up above...except it is being done on the Internet.

That's all I am saying.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
If members of the non argument faction find that by putting arguers on ignore enhances their overall A2K experience, then isn't it understandable that they should employ such a tactic?
They are harming no-one, and just want to view their preferred non argumentative A2K .

I have not suggested otherwise, Lordy.

Read what I said again. You will see that I have not suggested otherwise.

We have no beef.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Didn't you start a thread about how you'd put JTT on ignore? I have a few people on ignore but I've never started a thread about any of them.

Just saying.

Thank you for sharing that, Izzy.

Yes, I did start a thread where I mentioned putting JTT on ignore. It was titled, "When I am wrong...I am wrong."

Here's a link: http://able2know.org/topic/218076-1

What was your point?