Question about misleading headline

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 09:43 am
Hello! I have a question about what I believe to be a misleading headline. Today, I came across several online articles with headlines like this, "Noted Psychiatrist Says Bruce Jenner Becoming Caitlyn is a Mental Disorder" and "Former Chief Psychiatrist at Johns Hopkins Has Some BRUTAL News for “Caitlyn” Jenner". The articles point to a source article interview with this psychiatrist published in the WSJ in 2014, in which he does talk about studying transgender-ism, and that he believes it is a mental disorder that should be treated and prevented, not enabled, basically. What bothers me is that they are using Caitlyn Jenner's name and making it seem as though the psychiatrist was speaking directly ABOUT Caitlyn Jenner, not just the subject of transgender in general. If I was the psychiatrist, I might be a little upset that these websites are using my medical expertise and opinion as published in a 2014 article in the WSJ I agree to have published, and Caitlyn Jenner's current news, to draw people to their website. Furthermore, though I realize what they're doing, I believe some people may read these "articles", believe this psychiatrist WAS actually speaking directly about Caitlyn Jenner, and generate a negative idea of him, based off of pop culture emotionalist reaction. My question is whether this practice (headline) is considered by most journalists to be ethical and professional, or a two-bit hack ploy? Thank you for your consideration of my question!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,659 • Replies: 4

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:28 am
@bluesy24,
It's clickbait.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:56 am
@bluesy24,
Hello! Blue!
Yes I've noted such many times. But the writers and editors are hurried, while they have to make the title fit above the article
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:02 am
@bluesy24,
Much of media and journalists (sic) only care about eyeballs...ratings. Ethics morality..and truth take a backseat.
0 Replies

bluesy24

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:22 am
@bluesy24,
Thanks for your replies!
0 Replies