An Open Letter to that Person with a Stick Stuck in their Tuchas

Automatic Suzy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 06:22 am
@ehBeth,
I've been on several forums that have a like / dislike feature, and I never thought it was a good idea. It tends to engender a lot of bad feelings. I've seen forums descend into chaos over it. Seriously. Arguments, bickering, flame wars, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

It doesn't bother me at all if someone votes my posts down. To be honest, I probably wouldn't even notice, and if I do it isn't a big deal. It doesn't really affect me in any way. It has absolutely no impact on my life. The only impact it could possibly have is the impact I would allow it to have by becoming upset over it!

The problem I have is that I tend to like a lot of posts. In the photo association game, for instance, there are so many funny and clever posts! If I start clicking, it's hard to stop, and that's considered spammy behavior in some places. As much as I like to let people know I enjoy their posts, I figured it's best to just ignore the feature entirely. But what the heck, maybe I should just click everybody up.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 06:45 am
@Automatic Suzy,
You say that you never thought such a feature was a good idea, and list the horrors you allege ensue. Then you immediately allege that it doesn't both you. Do you understand that you've contradicted yourself?
Automatic Suzy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 06:55 am
@Setanta,
No contradiction. It bothers a lot of people. It doesn't bother me. I'm very good at not letting things bother me. Part of it is just my nature. I've always been quite imperturbable. I suspect it also has to do with years of mindfulness meditation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 07:05 am
Yes, there's contradiction. It bothered you enough to say that you never thought it was a good idea, and then you listed the resultant horrors. I suspect you want to allege an insouciance you don't actually entertain.
Automatic Suzy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 07:23 am
@Setanta,
I said that down voting my own posts doesn't bother me, not that everyone getting upset and having the forum devolve into pointless bickering doesn't bother me. It does bother me when people have their feelings hurt and get all bent out of shape. Usually that will bother me enough to go, "Welp, this place has turned into a suckfest. I'ma go somewhere else."
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 03:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Contumacious dundermuffin. Can I use that?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 03:56 pm
@dlowan,
Cumulative conglomerations stacked as campaniles are hard to do.
Much better to make candy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:03 pm
@Automatic Suzy,
Nods.
I think most of us posters who post more than a few times agree with you.

This recent thumb thingy was balloonistic (new word by me).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:10 pm
@Automatic Suzy,
I think this is the first time you've actually told us something about yourself, and surprise, surprise, Setanta's got a problem with it.

I can see why you stick to the game threads.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:11 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Contumacious dundermuffin. Can I use that?

Trademark pending. I expect to become wealthy from the revenue stream from the royalty fees collected.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:16 pm
@Automatic Suzy,
hey! don't you go somewhere else

we need more fun word gamers Smile
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 07:28 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't have a problem with it, i had a problem with AS's honesty about it. Izzy the Putz has a nasty remark to make about me personally--surprise, surprise.
0 Replies

Automatic Suzy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 09:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Nah, I don't have any problems here. I'm not a fan of the like / dislike feature because, in my experience, it often causes problems.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 09:45 pm
@Automatic Suzy,
The thing is, that thumbs are a set up as a way for people to self monitor..

This site and I presume others cannot pay for 24/7 monitors, should they ever agree on monitoring by some criteria.

0 Replies