Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:47 pm
Anybody watching the Belmont? I get a little excited about these races. My only hope is that all the horses make the race unharmed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,276 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:51 pm
Their off? An off that belongs to them? (Who?)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:52 pm
@glitterbag,
naah, we use horsies for walks in the woods. Actually, I like mules better, they are really sharp and can be real friends(or enemies if you cross em).
Mules are too smart to run for some idiot to lose his paycheck
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:52 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. Ragman and I are working it on pms...

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
OK!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
Mules are great. I don't bet or even follow the races, but Marylanders get a little jazzed around Preakness. The hardest part for me is listening to all the pre race and post race crap. blah blah blah blah blah blah how's it feel to win the Triple Crown.

Ive always had a soft spot for horses. And Ive fallen off a lot of them.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:19 pm
@glitterbag,
mr. glitterbag's kin had farms in Johnston County, North Carolina. Not several farms for one family, but Uncles, Grandparents and assorted family members all farmed. Aunt Olivia passed away last year at age 96, she would talk about the farm and the mules, she loved her mules.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree with your unharmed comment.
At the least, the races should be further apart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:23 pm
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
I remember taking a riding lesson with my friends back in Chicago. My only riding lesson, re life's changes. Anyway the horse bucked, I hung on. I think the horse's name was Johnny. That was precient.
My later business partner knows horses well; think of me totally opposite her on that. But I've long admired them.

I also like barn cats.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I like mules too, experienced from afar.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:37 pm
That was a fun race. All of the others horses had a great view of the winner - for the whole race.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 06:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have that Spike Jones on 78 rpm. Ive since bought cd's with most of his music, and as far as I know the 78's are still fine. They belonged to my parents, but my dad boxed up the 78's when the LP's came on the market, and then he started to replace the LP's with CD'd. He was an avid collector, I pity whoever has to clean out my house when I head off to the happy hunting grounds.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 07:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I have two Spike Jones collections. I love those crazy people.
Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Was it Spike that did the Hawaiian War Chant?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:04 pm
@Ragman,
Yep. Plus Chinese Mule Train.
Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
listening to it now on Youtube.

I wonder what the odds are they smoked their lunches?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:36 pm
Many don't know, but Spike had two orchestras - the crazy one and another that played quite serious music.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 04:42 am
@glitterbag,
He won it running away.

I enjoyed the race...and I enjoyed watching the athlete who will probably grace the cover of Sports Illustrated as the Athlete of the Year...American Pharoah. We humans don't always have to be best.

Anyway...his name is spelled wrong and his tail is laughingly short...but he will be remembered as a great, great horse.

And he is about to have a great time in the "lots of sex" department.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/401/299/hi-res-4d4f373437281a94e0ce2065f5645616_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 05:44 am
@Ragman,
I lost all interest in any horse sport, except maybe rodeo barrel races and team carriages. I lost it finally in 2007 when they euthanized Barabaro. That horse had such a personality and woulda made the triple crown had it not had an accident at the Prekness nd developed a really bad laminitis.

Ive had stock with laminitis and its a damn hard thing to correct nd cure, but to just kill the damn horse like its ONLY some damn business decision. I say **** em all and I hope that they make Churchill Downs a WALMART.