Brando: He, too, was a pioneer

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:53 pm
Brando on "Burn!"
"I think I did the best acting I've ever done in that picture, but few people came to see it."
Source : Brando's Autobiography, Songs My Mother Taught Me

There is some good material on Brando here.

http://brando.crosscity.com/HTMLVer/QuoteMB/quotemb1.asp
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
Its a cryin shame that most of the National Guard is now in Iraq....when they could be helping out here with the hurricane victims:

http://www.counterpunch.org/madsen09282004.html
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
Yeah, I thought Brando in: BURN....was just AWESOME. He also did something similar in the: Ugly American. Strange how some of the best movies, never got the publicity, or the movie audience that it deserves. Still hope they come out in DVD though. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:30 pm
http://brando.crosscity.com/htmlver/gallerymb/images/DVD/3_02__street03.jpg
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
Bounty mutineer kin in sex trial

PITCAIRN ISLAND (AP) -- A string of sex-abuse trials open on this tiny Pacific island populated by descendants of the Bounty mutineers, with cases against half the adult males in this close-knit community of less than 50 people.

Seven men on Pitcairn Island face a total of 96 sex charges, with some allegations dating back 40 years, and face lengthy prison sentences if convicted in trials expected to last up to six weeks and which some islanders fear could threaten their community's survival.

The trials in this remote British territory -- a speck of volcanic rock midway between New Zealand and Peru -- had been due to get under way Monday, but the start was delayed until Wednesday, a spokesman said.

"I don't know if there's specifically any reason for it other than in the court's judgment the parties may not have been quite ready," said Bryan Nicholson, a spokesman for the British High Commission in Wellington, New Zealand.

The size and complexity of the case is unprecedented on Pitcairn Island. The arrival of three judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys and media has almost doubled the island's population of 47.

Most witnesses are expected to give evidence via a video link from New Zealand -- which is now home to many people who have left behind the isolated island life.

Just getting to Pitcairn, which has no port or landing strip for aircraft, is a major challenge. Once on the island, people get around using all-terrain quad bikes because the only roads are dirt tracks.

The Pitcairn Islands are a group of five rocky volcanic outcrops -- only the largest of which is inhabited -- with a combined area of just 47 square kilometers (18 square miles).

They are 14,885 kilometers (9,250 miles) from London.

The tiny population, descendants of the mutineers on the British navy ship H.M.S. Bounty who arrived there in 1790, ekes out a living by selling postage stamps to collectors and handicrafts to tourists on passing cruise liners.

Now the island is a hive of activity as lawyers set up the unusual court -- run on British laws and staffed by New Zealanders.

The defendants had a chance to head off trials at a pretrial hearing last week, but refused to plead guilty when offered the chance -- a move that would have cut any sentence they would face.

Some islanders argue that if the men are convicted the tiny community will lose its ability to crew longboats that bring essential supplies to the island -- threatening the population's existence.

At earlier hearings, suspects' lawyers argued the inhabitants of Pitcairn long ago severed their ties with Britain by burning the boat that carried them to their isolated island after the Bounty mutiny.

That argument was rejected, allowing the trials to go ahead.

The case started in 1999 when an islander complained to a visiting British policewoman that she had been sexually abused.

Since then, new laws including a child protection act have been passed and police and social workers have been sent to the island.
0 Replies